Help Converting my ¨Dumb¨¨doorbell / Chime in Smart

Hello There, this day im requesting help,ideas or whatever with a plan i have in mind

Im from Mexico,and here,usually,the doorbells works powered with 120v,and a momentary switch on the door,so when the switch is pushed,the circuit is closed making the buzzer in the house to ring or sound

what im looking for,is,...kind of spliting at the end the line and neutral wires,one set go to the chime,like always and the other...thats where im stuck,i not pretty sure how can i do to connect a¨¨Zooz Zen 17¨¨ and make,when someone push the switch of the doorbell,the chime sound as always BUT the zen 17 register that the doorbell (the swtich)was pusshed,and with this making several rules,like turn certain lights on,volume down music,alexa anunce the ring was pusshed or someone is in the door,or even get a notification on the smarphone...

I know the zen 17 only admit from 12-24v and dry contact,so i cant conect directly the 120v line input

My idea was to buy this relay_
https://www.amazon.com/DPST-8Amp-Power-Relay-Module/dp/B089QCG6GK?th=1
and conect it to the second set of wires splited i mention before
and the ¨Normaly Open¨ cables of the relay of the link to the Zeen 17,but im not sure if could work and right now the relee is not avalible
any other suggestion?

Ps basically i only have access to the chime and those 2 wires (Line and Neutral) so i can not modify nothing aside from that

hope you can help me guys,here is a very bad draw of my idea and scheme.Thanks

PS: Please excuse my bad English, I'm VERY VERY RUSTY

i even thought in conecting a power adapter 120v-12v,like the ones to power led strips,toys etc to the line and neutral of the chime and the side of 12v to the zen 17,but im not sure if i can damage in some way the zen,or something else :S

Are you certain the doorbell voltage is 120 VAC?

Just curious, as it seems like what i can find on wiring in Mexico indicates doorbells are low voltage.

I like the idea of an AC/DC transformer, but I suspect the momentary switch wouldn't result in the transformer generating DC quickly enough to actually trigger something. I could be wrong though, I'm certainly not an electrician!

S.

I am with scottgu seems kinda dangerous
to have a 120V door bell ! LOL

Warning! I am not an expert!

Search "Sage doorbell sensor" on the forum and see if that looks like something that would work. They are less than $10 on eBay.

2 Likes

I think it's correct, but there's a guide specifically for these type of questions :joy:

@Metrochan Sage sensor is used by many Hubitat owners and it's a supported device. Good suggestions by @Hal3

1 Like

I have this exact sensor (available on eBay) installed on my door bell.
Cheep & works like a charm ...
Trigger event: When someone rings the doorbell
Action: Whatever you want/set up in RM

1 Like

Ha! we both found the same guide. I didn't feel up to paying for it tho! :slight_smile: if his doorbell is really line voltage 127 VAC in Mexico I believe, I fear that the Sage might just melt. Its designed for low voltage AC...like 24 VAC I think.

It would be great if the OP could measure the voltage!

2 Likes

One suggestion in the past has been to use a regular contact sensor next to the coil. Apparently the magnetic field generated when the doorbell rings is enough to trigger a contact sensor.

Can’t remember who post that. I think it might have been @aaiyar

Another way to do this would be a 120v relay. When the doorbell rings, the relay closes dry (non-powered) contacts. Wire the input of a contact sensor or some button to the relay dry contacts.

I used an IKEA Styrbar button for mine. In my case, I had access to everything, so I removed the AC transformer (and the doorbell) and wired a regular door button to one of the button contacts of the IKEA Styrbar. This all lives up in the attic where the AC transformer used to be. So I never have to change the batteries in the IKEA Styrbar, I added an outlet where the transformer was, and plugged in a 5v power supply with a 5v to 3v buck converter to power the Styrbar.

Doorbell announcements come from Alexa, with simultaneous notifications to our phones.

as far as rules go acceleration = doorbell press

HI¡¡

the last time i remember it was at 120v i know sounds crazy and mad,and dangerous
Maybe from a few years to nowdays the new houses are integrating lines of 12 or 24v dc for the ring,buzzers doorbells etc (safer and even ready for smart houses,videoporters etc),but in the old houses (my case),well..120v was the only way,and so far never had happen something ugly,hope that never change

thats what I thought too,because is a quick,small,almost only a peak of power,maybe the dc adapter dont get the sufficiend power to work

i can not discuss that xD

i will keep an eye and check it out,thanks¡¡

i promise maybe in the night or tomorrow double check the voltage,but,im almost 99% is 120ac xD

I have a Feeling ....

1 Like

sounds interesting,could be a little less reliable than a direct solution,but belive me,i going to check if i can open the buzzer (or even close) and see if detect the magnetic fild to trigger a door contact,never tothought about it,the most ¨¨close¨¨to something like that ,i saw on internet a guy attaching a vibration sensor to the buzzer but...im not pretty convince about that solution

:joy: :rofl: you know something extreme? i use to have a neighbour, he work on neon signs and know something about electricity,one day,we was neeed his help (dont remember nothing aside that) he was not sure wich cable was the Line (we need that cable),he lick his fingers, and touch the live,TWICE, and him was like¨¨Yes,this is the line) i was like...
¨¨WHAT¡¡¡¡youre crazy¨

in this moment,the youtuber ¨¨ElectroBOOM ¨¨came to my mind :stuck_out_tongue:

im not sure if he do that after the circuit breakers,or between the circuit breaker and the power metering of the company (im not pretty sure the name of that device¨¨here is called¨medidor¨¨

1 Like

But wich or what kind of relay can use,in those kind of things i @_@ i dont know nothing far beyond of the main concept of relay ,the only i had found was the one i put a link in the main post

this one can work?

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Dispositivos-funcionales-RIB01BDC-contacto-alimentación/dp/B01LZRM6AF/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=8E7IM3C9SFPH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.vmIYOob0pouUsRy-4kVZgCkhTpTyiXcCEDCbBWktEw_k3uuF8ymEQMJ4RTA7UBxQaOxPjDXTB9vUyjc2GzNhN_diwJPJT7rZX0jzUoMTLX9SDA8xMrhLBbhXEWSzf-cyIGrE2ddKwcKNIhBIgmq4eI4aaxa-FmZxWBziQeDJ_LB9AkkDdzdk9hWVQLqIAGLU2lRJ6Fbd07C3d5oo4p0ge7J-3E4UWCTVexEwh_vH-qQ.qzMOb6Jb980u0crfiWHY6Mt4tvt7wHjjkUEVDtRunSw&dib_tag=se&keywords=relay+120v+dry+contact&qid=1710465620&sprefix=relay+120v+dry+contac%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-2

sorry i dont know nothing about relays :S

this could be the best and easy way but...in a fast search i can not find if it only works on dc or 120 AC
:frowning: