Heiman Zigbee Gas Detector

Yeah I realize using custom attribute will work but I was hoping to just use HSM instead. For now, I'll continue to use my driver until this is a bit more polished :slight_smile:

I'm guessing it'll be "detected"... try pushing the test button.

Yea, as far as HSM is concerned the staff will have to fix that as you said. Hopefully in the next update.

EDIT: the official word is "detected". All lower case and no quotes.

We don't have the capability for Gas Detector, yet. As you discovered, you can get the attribute in RM with Custom Attribute, which is what it is at this point.

I paired it with Hubitat last night and manually selected Heiman ZigBee Gas Sensor for the type. However, when I press the test button Hubitat still reports the status as being clear.

For those of you using this detector, where on a wall are you plugging it in? Up high near the ceiling or down low closer to the floor? Just curious if it matters?

They say it depends on what you are trying to detect. If it is natural gas (lighter than air) then approximately 2 ft from the ceiling and I think no more than 5 ft away. If it is methane (swamp gas) then no more than 2 ft from the floor and still no more than 5 ft away.

Natural gas is 70 to 90% methane. Natural gas and methane are both slightly lighter than air.

Propane is the common flammable gas that is heaver than air. This makes it generally more dangerous since the propane can get trapped in something like a basement or sump. Keep the detector low for propane.

1 Like

You are correct. I got the methane and propane mixed up. Thanks for correcting.

Good to know. I have one of these and have an outlet about a foot from my drop ceiling next to my furnace. That will work out good to detect a natural gas leak.

There is a new version of the Heiman Natural Gas detector. It does not work with the built in Hubitat driver. I had to use the community driver posted here with the following modification.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/driver-for-gas-sensor/17866/13

Change fingerprint line(#28) in the driver to this:

fingerprint profileID: "0104", deviceID: "113", inClusters: "0000,0003,0500,0009", outClusters: "0019"

Here is the new fingerprint:

ID: 8DC5
Manufacturer: Heiman
Product Name:
Model Number: GAS_V15
deviceTypeId: 113
manufacturer : Heiman
idAsInt : 1
inClusters : 0000,0003,0500,0009
endpointId : 01
profileId : 0104
application : 00
outClusters : 0019
initialized : true
model : GAS_V15
stage : 4

Mike

Is there any difference with the old model?

It looks the same as others posted in various threads. Only difference I can determine is the minor differences in the fingerprint.

These are the ones I bought (USA version)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000224478049.html

Well I noticed that Hubitat added a driver to this device in one of the recent updates and I bought the device.
But I didn't notice this was for the Zigbee version of the Heiman gas sensor.
I bought the Z-wave plus version that doesn't seem to have a driver yet.

Dumb question: Is it supposed to work without being paired? I mean, is it supposed to beep if it detect gas even without being paired?

Yes it will continue function as a standalone combustible gas detector. Just like a "non connected" smoke or CO detector.

You just wont get any notifications in Hubitat if it detects gas.

Mike

1 Like

@bravenel will you be adding a new gas capability? I just installed 2 more of these this weekend. While the custom attribute work around works in RM, it only allows you to select a single device. So I had to repeat this a few times for my 3 gas detectors. Would be nice to either add the gas capability so I can just select all three or allow multi select for custom attributes. Or another work around would be to add smoke as a capability to the gas driver.

Took 60 days to ship here from China but so far its a nice device for a low cost. Upvote for proper support of gas detectors :slight_smile:

Setup was painless. Activate HE Zigbee detection, insert a paper clip on side of device to click and hold pair button until the unit flashes. Unit stops flashing after paired. HE found driver from fingerprint. Took a few minuets to get a update.

1 Like

We have a natural gas furnace and water heater that we would like to monitor which is in the same room.

What is the different between this "gas" detector and "co2" detector? Should we get a gas detector for that room instead a co2 detector?

I think I learn something new after Googling about this.

Wow, all those times i thought the co2 detector would detected a natural gas leak when it not designed for this. It only detect spent fuel like the ones coming from the exhaust. Something like a leak from furnace pipe exhaust if it get separated somehow and start leaking in the house. Same with car running in the garage.

Now I am thinking if I should put a co2 detector in my garage near the kitchen/garage door with a rule to open the garage door when high amount of co2 is detected near the door. A Deaf woman died inside her home with those new keyless car ignition when she drove in and park the car but forgot to press to stop the engine and went into the house. The key fob was still close enough to keep the engine running in the garage.

Carbon monoxide is carbon monoxide (CO, not CO2; that would be carbon dioxide). Natural gas is methane. They are different compounds and you can’t use a single device to detect both.

CO detector placement in a home is mandated by local fire codes, natural gas detectors usually are not. You should place CO detectors at a minimum wherever your local codes require. An explosive gas detector like this can be considered wherever you have a gas-powered appliance.

Got one of these, it paired fine, selected right driver automatically (Heiman Zigbee Gas Detector), and went off when I waved it above the gas stove.

However it doesn't report in the Log at all. The Zigbee log seems to be active when it goes off but nothing in the state or regular log. I turned on Debugging and still nothing.

There are two of them HS1CG and HS3CG. I got the HS1CG. Does Hubitat support both?