HE Features and Requests for 2023?

If you can point to specific examples of this, the documentation can be updated accordingly. It is indeed difficult to track all changes, but there have been a lot of updates done this year (not just moving to a new platform).

It is possible some self-evident features will intentionally not be documented (e.g., choosing "Motion becomes active" as a means to activate in Room Lighting will need a "motion: active" event from a motion sensor). It is possible different people may have different ideas about what "self-evident" means, which can also be good to know. :smiley:

7 Likes

Absolutely. They must not mess with the current MakerAPI otherwise all my custom dashboards will stop working.

2 Likes

Hey @coreystup, I wonder if I might have a solution for you so you don't have to wait around. If you write .NET code, I've written several JSON converters to handle exactly this. If you don't write .NET code, maybe I can work this into something usable on your preferred platform.

These converters help a lot because you don't need a bunch of if/else statements in your code, you don't need to handle parsing within your business logic, and most importantly - they are type safe, which offers quite a bit of safety in this strange environment. Here are some examples:

Here is a location where the converters are used. This takes the output from the Maker API "all" endpoint and returns a type-safe object. These objects then make use of the OneOf<T> library to tease out the data in a type-safe way. The pattern I'm using here is "pattern matching" and allows simple dispatch to specific methods to get at the data I want. Here's the main object that holds onto the converted data. There's room for improvement (I'm refactoring the main branch), but it works quite well for my use case.

If you'd like to follow a test case, this is a short one that consumes this data to verify the data has been populated correctly.

It seems we are talking about different things (my comment was on documentation in general).

All changes are documented in the release notes, which are also linked to on the Check for Updates page on the hub.

1 Like

The one area I would really like to see improved is the device table display. If we could have at least an option to split the "Name/Label" field into two columns, and to replace the newline character between the two zigbee ID and network ID, then I could select the table and paste it into a spreadsheet. As it is, the above problems make this process such a mess that it's unusable.

If it's practical, it would also be a HUGE help to have an option to open those links in a new tab, rather than the current one. That way I can just close the device tab and get right back to where I was in the table, rather than having it re-display itself without any of the settings or sort options I'd made. This might all sound nit-picky but I have over 150 devices and it's REALLY annoying to have to page through this to find the device I was just looking at to find the next one, especially when they're close to the end of the list.

1 Like

There is a user app that can export to CSV. I used it to dump out the device and firmware version. [Release] Device Data Item Display

Normally for this I CTRL-Click but for some reason this wont work on the device page, but you can right click and open in new tab which is what I normally do. If the CTRL-Click could be fixed that would be nice.

1 Like

Wow, a lot of good stuff happened in 2022. Good work Hubitat team!

My 2023 list:

1. Add the table format to RM triggers like the actions have so can edit a piece, not redo the whole thing. Otherwise RM is awesome given the UI interface its using.
  2. IOS mobile app needs some help, specifically geofence for presence which I gave up on. Multiple hubs at different locations cant have different geofence location, they linked, Battery hog, maybe have a polling interval, and make more reliable.
  3. Implement some of the proven solid community Apps and DH's as "built in".
  4. A legend for the Z-wave topology map so I know what the colors mean.

Not gonna push the dashboard short comings, im using sharptools.

3 Likes

Yeah, but it's easy to forget, and the phone version is worse - press and hold, select "open new tab in group" and then deal with the tab group is a pain. I'd be fine letting it open in the same tab if hitting Back would return to where it left off. That would be better yet.

Things that are close to my setup would include:

• Weather - Look at developing built-In integrations for local weather stations and sensors, such as EcoWitt and others that offer local comm's
  • Lighting - Supporting Philips Hue push notifications in the built-in integration, like in Coco-Hue and Advanced Hue Bridge Integration
  • Energy - Start to expand into the energy space, interfacing with services / systems such as Solar and other energy monitoring systems. Of particular interest to me is Solar Edge. Admittedly a cloud service....
  • Home Automation Platforms - Develop a built-In integration with Home Assistant, building on the success of integrating with Apple Homekit

Obviously I would also like the UI enhancements many have requested as well, including expanding the capabilities of HE dashboards..... Just still allow CSS and other tweaks that we have so carefully crafted :wink:

If you want to develop a Mitsubishi Thermostat integration, that would also be good, :wink:

3 Likes

Charge more so you can do more.

• Improve platform resilience - no more database corruption
  • Improve existing integrations - some were released at a minimum level and have been surpassed by community drivers. Best example is Hue
  • Adopt community integrations into official status or Sherlock them
  • Control UI improvements
5 Likes

Antenna.

10 Likes

I would like the "Set variable from HTTP GET response" populate the variable with the returned HTTP.

2 Likes

Fix some of the UI issues with filters in logs...

• UI jumping around when selecting apps or devices... Keep me in the same spot in the drop down list as I make app & device selections, and don't let the drop-down jump around the screen as the text length changes
  • Can't select an app or device as a filter and then click Show more to show additional log entries
1 Like

Some native MQTT integration/app...

I'd like to be able to map a virtual motion sensor, contact, switch created in Hubitat to an MQTT topic to bring external devices in. I'm currently doing this with the only community MQTT app I can find, but it's in beta and was broken some time ago following a platform update. Most MQTT apps seem to be designed to publish Hubitat devices events for use elsewhere but I want the opposite. I think my only option at the moment is Node-Red but despite reading several threads I remain confused as to what I need for that (I can easily put Node-red on my Pi but what do I need to add in Hubitat?)

2 Likes
  1. Create Hubitat virtual devices with the capabilities/attributes that your real device has - going to assume you have already brought your real device into Node-RED.
  2. Install the node-red-contrib-hubitat palette and configure it.
  3. Expose your Hubitat virtual devices to node-red.
  4. Update the values for the capabilities/attributes in your virtual devices using input from your real devices in Node-RED.
1 Like

Do I need to install just this on the Pi? or do I need to also install Node-Red. Thanks

Edit: Ignore - Just read in the linked page that Node-Red is a requirement also

1 Like

I do this for a bunch of 433MHz water sensors that I have.

The MQTT Node is set to listen on the topic you enter:

The Red Nodes are HE Command Nodes that change the value of virtual Water Sensors in Hubitat.

I also use this same method to use a Sonoff RF 8-button remote.

I have a Tasmotized Sonoff RF Bridge that publishes the devices' unique ID# to an MQTT topic.

1 Like

Totally flummoxed by Node-Red. I've:

• Installed Node-Red (and I'm logged in etc)
  • Installed the Hubitat Palette
  • Added a Maker API Instance
  • Configured the palette with the Hubitat app ID, maker API token
  • Added a virtual device

My brain is about to pop, it's hardly intuitive. All I want to do is link an MQTT topic to a virtual device but I'm getting nowhere...

I'll renew my request for MQTT on Hubitat (it's gotta be less hassle than Homekit to add!)

ssl on telnet..

@stephen_nutt

I briefly had it working for a single device, but I had the full path mapped in the topic. That means if I continue that way it'll be a complete mess as I'll have to create multiple instances of the MQTT link (as opposed to having one link and everything going through one Switch.

Could you possibly screenshot the config of your switch in that flow? I realise that the topic path will be completely different to mine. I'm just struggling to work out how much of the topic path to enter in 'Property' and what to use as the comparison beneath it.