HE-driven colored lights, scrolling signs, other kinds of indicators?

I can imagine all kinds of status readouts I'd like to have... door ajar, mailbox full, garage door open, etc... but I don't love the idea of using a Hubitat dashboard on a dedicated device. It's another computer or tablet to care for. I'd like to have something that looks different too.

Are there any Z-wave/Zigbee gizmos that will let me set some other kind of visual indicator via Hubitat command? Something like an RGB bulb or LED matrix... but compact, so I can put several into a small item. Or maybe a scrolling LED sign?

Thanks in advance for any leads!

1 Like

There are some things out there. For example, newer Inovelli or Homeseer switches have LED bars (Inovelli) or multiple separate LEDs (Homeseer) specifically geared towards being able to give you multiple notifications in color combinations.

Of course you can always put multiple RGBW LED bulbs or light strips also. I use both the switches, bulbs, and strips for just such purposes.

UPDATE:
If you are looking for something with a "battery backup" there is the GLEDOPTO USB-powered RGB+CCT LED strip. Uses ZigBee and is powered with a standard USB port. Can plug that into a USB battery pack.

Definitely a DIY opportunity. I'll be following.

There’s the LaMetric Time but it would need the SmartThings driver ported or a new app written.

The Inovelli LEDs are cool and I will definitely be experimenting. I'm also hoping to make a bigger display for the status of multiple items. RGB strip controllers are definitely in the right direction... just wish I could get multiple addressable lights on one module, instead of a $50 controller per light.

That LaMetric clock looks really cool! Man, if that was easily integrated into the HE world, I would probably have bought it instantly. Very appealing!

If I could find the light controller of my dreams I'd make a status panel like this... where lettering glows through a wood veneer.

It drives me crazy that there is no WS2812 (or similar RGB/RGBW individually addressable) ZigBee or Z-Wave controller. There is the DIY route with a Hubduino I supposed but I really wish I could just have rules that tell the WS2812 controller to turn on X LED Z color. If it gets more advanced to allow X to Y LEDs Z color... That is a plus.

Once that basis is there you can hide them (or not) in/behind all sorts of things to make it as elaborate (or not) as you want. Ex: Want to have a picture of your floor plan that has an LED at every window/door sensor? You could do it!

1 Like

Once upon a time I made a status board for a 50 person call center with some WS2811 led strips. I could probably find a way to make something again...but i don't have the time or drive just yet. Maybe an arduino with a network adapter simple web interface..just have RM make the right call http//arduino/light/1/red

Or something similar...that would allow anything that can GET http to interface.

The LaMetric has an easy to use REST API, there shouldn’t be anything special needed to integrate it with Hubitat directly using the HTTP request method.

I’ve got one and love it for exact needs posted above (mailbox, etc) and send messages to it from Node-RED. I was using a palette (essentially a driver) but lately moved to raw HTTP calls as it’s way more flexible. There is absolutely no reason why one wouldn’t be able to duplicate that from Rule Machine.

Based on a quick browse of the website it looks like it is a web and not a local API...is this correct?

You can make calls right against the local IP, no cloud in the way

Now I am very interested...might be worth a couple of bones!

@ Hasty1

Put this together for ya (which was a big deal because I don't even have Rule Machine™ installed at this point lol)

Url -> http://dev:api password@192.168.1.111:8080/api/v2/device/notifications

With a body like this: documentation. You can literally copy the simple example about 1/2 way down the page and work off that

My quick video sucks, but i created a quick Virtual Contact and i clicked "Open" to kick off the rule

2 Likes

That looked really cool... until I looked up the pricing and found it nearly $200(!).

Guess I will just go back to working on a WS2812 grid I have around... Even if I end up making it a "mostly" dumb HTTP method it would be parts I have laying around the house.

Dammit @morningz I did not need to see this! Great demo. I am not a programmer, but I think even I could hack together notifications on this device.

I dug through my junk drawer and found a strip of 30, what I belive to be, WS2811 and an ESP8266 Dev board.

I havent really had an arduino project since the UNO Rev 3 was the coolest board around...

So it might take some work but I am going to try to get some level of HTTP led control as a POC.

There are plenty of different firmwares to run on ESP8266 boards with http API control for WS8212 strips, Tasmota has some rudamentary support, but it is limited in how easy it is to control individual LEDs. You should be able to find something which doesn't need any programing skills even. @jchurch, didn't you use something good before?

I ran intothis yesterday on youtube

lots of fideling but very customizable.

You can use WLED for visual notifications. I personally have 3 setup in my house for effects but you can do alot with them. There is a thread here DrZzs talks about them ALOT so definitely visit his youtube channel.

1 Like

I just put together some code using async web server library for arduino. I am going to see if I can put a write up for it here tomorrow. Allows you to hook a ESP2866 to a set of WS2812s and call Http://IP/led?LED=1&R=255&B=255&G=255

That would set the number 1 led to full white.

Not the prettiest but I didnt feel like parsing JSON.

Can probably setup a hacky looking demo as well. My idea is to build an enclosure the segments each led into its own compartment and then make an overlay with labels for each one.

1 Like

That was just the basic type of thing I was thinking for mine, just send it the color for which LED. Although my plan was colors first, then LED because I figured if I add LED x to y it would be easier to have at the end in case it was not needed.