HD+ - Android Auto Support

Ahh I wonder if a carrier can see that direct connection and considers it a tethered device?

I'm assuming you're building something like this; my wife's car supports AA and CarPlay so I've looked into a similar thing for iOS

The review isn't great but yes, that's what i am making essentially, though my implementation would require tethering data and would be seen as a full android device on its own.

1 Like

No, they don't. It's a point to point WiFi network versus tethering.

Ive got unlimited hotspot but its limited to 5mbps. Maybe there is a way to point to point this and preserve full data speed, though it probably doesnt matter for AA.

I love that the number 1 device in their list has absolutely horrible reviews on Amazon.

For AA, I don't think it gets much better than the MA1. I stuck one in my wife's car that only supports AA wired and it's been fantastic. The only negative I've found is multidevice support. It is quick to grab onto the last phone that was connected. Works great for the normal "wife driving her car." But, if we're riding together and want to flip AA to my phone, it's a bear at times. Not really a deal breaker though and quite possibly just a PICNIC problem.

1 Like

This is seeming much more elegant, maybe ill try both. The pi could also be turned into tv streaming featuring HD+ as its home screen. Ive been wanting to watch tv without Alexa or Google nonsense mucking up my UI.

The other negative would be loss of ability to use a vehicle hotspot (on the connected phone). If you are using wifi for AA connection, you can't connect to your hotspot because the phone wifi antenna is already in use.

I use the hotspot on longer trips because the antenna is on top of the car and gets fewer signal drops between major cities. In my case, and because of Murphy, this always used to be pertinent when it's trying to re-route around an accident and the signal is weak or spotty.

Motorola MA1 wireless android auto adapter is working great. If you have a VPN you need to exclude android auto SYSTEM app. It may be hidden as it's not considered a standard app (I use Proton VPN, ymmv). After that it works just like your phone is physically plugged in.

FYI - I pushed an update just now that should fix the issue of no devices showing up in Android Auto in some cases.

2 Likes

@jpage4500 I can confirm that it has fixed the issue of not showing devices. It now only briefly shows that screen and then the devices appear. Thanks.

1 Like

I am still not able to use HSM on the AA head unit. After tapping HSM the message prompts to arm/disarm and no matter which one, they do not change the setting.

Is this issue still on the fix Todo list? I see back on May 12 some logs from @arnb (link to message)

Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry, that fell off the radar.. I do have a TODO list but haven't had much time the last few months due to kids activities (or as my wife calls it - full time Uber driver w/no pay lol)

From @arnb's logs I see this:

onFailure: error:RetrofitErrorEvent(errorCode=404, errorMessage=Device not found or not authorized)

My first though is -- is MakerAPI configured to control HSM?

The fact that it's a 404 error usually means the request is getting through but the server (hub) is rejecting it because of lack of permission.

side-note -- recent versions of HD+ will no longer log the API keys so sending log files should be a lot more secure.. still worth glancing through them just to be sure though

HTTP_ERROR: 175) http:404 135ms https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/modified to protect my system/apps/6593/devices/ID_HSM/armAway, RESP:null

My settings are to allow control of HSM and it works using HD+ from the phone in the car, just not Android Auto. I will try to capture some logs the next time I am in the car.

Also, if I am not mistaking @arnb says in his message he is also able to control HSHM from his phone's HD+.

1 Like

I'm finally adopting HD+, and I'm seriously impressed.

@jpage4500 or others -- do buttons work for you in the Android Auto interface? They show up in AA, and when I tap the button it goes to the "inner" page where you could tap the button for real to send the command.

But it doesn't actually send the command. And for a multi-button device, I only see one button. Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong, or else could I do anything to help debug?

I forgot to mention @jpage4500, buttons work fine for me on the Android phone app, so I believe this issue only affects Android Auto.

Errors from my logs:

CustomInterceptor	HTTP_ERROR: 3744) http:404 258ms https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/****/apps/198/devices/ID_HSM/disarm, RESP:null
onFailure: error:code:404, msg:Device not found or not authorized

I just sent you my latest logs trying to disarm HSM from the car head unit. I see the error is the same as above. Should it not have the permissions it needs since it works from the phone?

In the last log I emailed shows the head unit successfully locking and then unlocking a door and in-between failing to arm HSM. Let me know if you need anything else to try to fix this. Thanks.

I see the problem.. this isn't the correct URL for setting HSM status. There's no /devices/ID_HSM/ device. I'll fix it

1 Like

it should be fixed with the latest update: [RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard - #4619 by jpage4500

1 Like

Unfortunately I still see this issue in .2094.

The button command is never sent from any button type, and multi button devices only show a single button.

Is there anything I can do to help with debugging?