Harmony connectivity

You do realize Harmony works directly with Hue, Lutron and other lights, right? When I start my movie activity my lights are all set how I want them, Nest is set to the temp that I want, etc. All without involving the Hubitat at all.

See that is the issue. Too many silo'd "I can do it all" solutions for home automation. I understand what others want for integration to automate the most with the least amount of multiple management systems. Harmony is really bad about doing this correctly 100% of the time as it has no way to get a response of confirmation. It is the same with Google, Alexa, Kasa, etc. Hence why IFTT came about because of all these isolated home automation solutions.

Anyways I love my Harmony for what it is good for and that is simple integration into Alexa for voice commands and managing multiple input sources while attempting to manage scenes/construct tasks (Turn XBOX on, Turn TV on, Turn Receiver on, Set all the correct inputs, and MAYBE do this action steps on the Xbox to bring up Kodi).

Also if you believe in optimal WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) and wish to have more approval from the CFO to "invest" in more automation then the fewer home automation systems to control the house the better. Aka HE and Alexa only for us.

2 Likes

Yes, but most of my lighting is controlled via zwave plus dimmers. I have it working using @halfrican.ak thread, but would be so much nicer if integrated directly through a well done integration instead of a lutron plug in lamp module.

1 Like

I have some cheap Ikea led lights on the back of my tv which are plugged into a zwave outlet. What I need is to be able to control that outlet, which I cannot do natively with Harmony.

Right, and the built in integrations that Harmony has do just that. No hack needed, you just need the right devices.

So you get an outlet you can do it with, like a lutron caseta.

Right, or the devices I already have and a hub with harmony integration. Like I already stated, I am using the lutron integration. I am more worried about the thousands of people with ST which has a harmony integration, when they consider switching to hubitat. I don't really want to tell them, yea it can be integrated if you buy an additional $90 lutron hub and a $45 plug in wall dimmer, or if all of your lighting is through hue.

1 Like

But it can be integrated, just not officially (for now). My Harmony stuff works great with Hubitat.

I'm with @stephack, we need the Harmony integration because we have two hubs. In order to control the "other" hub, we are required to install a separate Harmony skill. Then to command that "other" hub, we have to say "Ask Harmony to". Logitech really messed up with support of more than one hub :frowning:.

In addition, we have an Alexa routine "Good Morning". Right now Alexa routines cannot execute Alexa voice commands, so we can't put "Ask Harmony to turn on TV" into the "Good Morning" routine, have to say it separately. If Hubitat had Harmony integration, then I could have a virtual switch run the Harmony command in Hubitat.

But I can see how it's not Hubitat's job to make up for shortcomings with other devices :wink:.

1 Like

For now I'm ok with not having official integration. The ported Logitech Connect app works great.....for now. My only concern is that the token I'm using (taken form my ST integration) stops working one day and then I have to explain to my wife why she needs to learn a new way to do this and that....or why this and that no longer works. I do that enough already.

2 Likes

I don't have the ST token...:frowning:.

My thoughts for now are:

1. Look into that Neeo hub...maybe it's time to say goodbye to Logitech!
  2. Look into writing a local interface. I just bought a Windows 10 app that interfaces with the Harmony locally, so I should be able to duplicate that somehow.

Fascinating discussion. I have had a harmony for years and I still consider it one of the most important integrated devices in my smart home - second only to my Alexa units. The most important thing this does is set a virtual switch that tells me and other apps that the entertainment system is on or off. Like others I donโ€™t use the provided remotes ever in my house. Operation is either via Alexa, the Harmony App, ST App, or HousePanel. All trigger the Harmony activity and this the virtual switch.

So the obvious answer for me and I suspect many others considering a switch is to just keep their ST hub for the value of this integration, and then take steps to make it coexist with Hubitat. When activities start the ST integration sets the virtual switch and hub link can grab its state for Hubitat.

This solution avoids using hacked code and borrowed access tokens but does rely on ST staying alive. The bigger issue for Hubitat is providing a robust approach for all new users, rather than ST converts. For all new users I think a native integration of a non Logitech Harmony solution should be seriously pursued. It canโ€™t be that hard to make a good smart IR blaster box with an integrated zwave chip that gets the job done. Hmmm sounds like a good startup idea...

1 Like

Mike mentioned this company has expressed interest in an integration with Hubitat. I would switch to Neeo in a second if there was a native integration for it.

2 Likes