HARD RESET - Again

I would like to make a hard-reset like I did before the option was removed.

soft-reset does not reset the ids of the drivers, application and devices to 1.
I want to reset it as it was like new. Why the option ?fullui has been removed ?

A soft reset (do not restore your old database) and then reset the radios is basically a full reset.
This way you do not have to go through re-registering the hub. (I believe).

4 Likes

Automatically de-registering the hub is the reason why Full Reset is no longer promoted, and also the reason why de-registering the hub is now part of my.hubitat.com. The other 3 parts of the Full Reset can be accomplished by performing a Soft Reset without restoring a backup and resetting the Zigbee/Z-Wave radio from Zigbee/Z-Wave Details pages.

6 Likes

To add to the above...

While the IDs it sounds like you're talking about are internal to the hub and not related to real use (surely you have an actual concern beyond this?), a soft reset should actually do this--it erases your database. It may not start at exactly 1 for all apps or devices depending on what gets preinstalled on the hub (Basic Rule now, it seems? I think Hubitat Dashboard was in the past, too), but it should be pretty close and not be a continuation of before.

If that didn't happen, I'd make sure it actually worked. I'd make sure your Diagnostic Tool is up-to-date as noted at the bottom of this page (it should look like the screenshot at the top of the page; the older version had different styling): Hubitat Diagnostic Tool | Hubitat Documentation. If not, try the update, then try again. A Soft Reset may not work if you have a newer hub platform version with an older Diagnostic Tool version.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, is this because you are selling the hub, or because you simply want to start at 1?

2 Likes

Well, I don't really care about starting at 1. but it tells me that everything has not been reset if it remember the identity seed of the database objects.

Yes, I want to sell my C5 hub. Bought a C7 that I would like to reset as well to start from scratch.

I have tried to hard reset my hubitat hub with this address:
[http://hubs.ip.address.here:8081/?fullui ]
That was posted by Gopher in February 2021 But it doesn't take me to a hard reset page, just the soft reset page.
Since the latest updates, my devices and automation have gone to pot. Devices now drop off, devices wont rejoin once they have been reset.
I have excluded devices, reset them rejoined them. I have soft reset the hub etc etc. I had everything automation wise running sweet, then over the last few weeks, it all started to not work or automate as well.
Plus the android app seems to be really hard to use now, really fiddly and awkward.
Need help please!!

I will assume you have access to the hub.

One of the ventilation holes on the bottom of the hub is round whereas the others are square. This hole allows access to the hard reset switch. Hold the button down for 10 seconds and the hub should revert to factory settings.

That only resets network settings.

5 Likes

@johnjoe_30 Fullui is no longer implemented. You want to softreset the hub then reset both z-wave and zigbee radios. This will pretty much reset everything. That said, this is a little extreme unless you are selling the hub. What is your main issue?

1 Like

A hard reset won't help most or any of that. It sounds like you lost a device somewhere, and it took down your mesh.

Personally, I would do some diagnosis of your devices or apps before going nuclear and starting from scratch. If you include the same failing device or rogue app, it is going to cause the same issue after a reset.

@bobbyD, should johnjoe_30 post onward have its own thread?

3 Likes

Personally, if I was @johnjoe_30, I would start a new thread describing the problem in depth, including descriptions of the z-wave and zigbee mesh networks.

A full reset is of zero value without diagnosing the issues at hand for two reasons:

1. It is possible that the current situation can be salvaged without a full reset.
  2. Without diagnosing the issue, it is probable the situation will re-occur after the full reset.
1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
But im going to sell my hub and move on.
To much hassle and time wasted for very little reward.

Thank you for your reply.
But im going to sell my hub and move on.
To much hassle and time wasted for very little reward.

Because you can't do a hard reset?

2 Likes

No!! I just think im done with home automation.
Its to difficult for a novice like me to sort out problems.
My time is best used on other things

That said, i am having trouble hard restting the hub!!
Any ideas please?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.