Halo / Halo+ Smoke and CO detectors

The only parts that are missing are the direct weather settings in the Halo+ which will be set via the preference settings once I add them in.

Any other takers ? I got 1 donation so far for $20(Thanks!!) and need $30 more to start pulling out the data from ARCUS to make these additions.

It's a down right shame that ST will not budge and release their DTH -- instead they choose to simply delete it and prevent any users from adding a Halo using it.

Someone should hack(not really) there storage on GIT and get it LOL.....

ST is probably just worried about someone trying to claim liability if there is a problem with it or when the smoke detector finally dies off. That might be something to configure in it also... An "end of life" parameter to show people they can only expect it to be useful for X more years. People seem to forget that smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors have an actual lifespan to them before you are supposed to replace them.

If I recall, Halo claimed theirs were good for 10 years (more than the average 7 at least). That reminds me that my Nest Protect is probably getting close to EOL...

I have pulled out all the Halo code from Arcus.... Getting Mike's opinion on this.

Threw a few $$ into the kitty!

1 Like

Thanks !

Ok here is the deal.... seeing that the Halo's aren't around anymore and the life span is 10 years we got 2 choices for the Halo's.

I can add the hush features or weather but not both.

Vote ends Aug 31. Which ever ones has the most is added to Halo.

• Hush
  • Weather

0 voters

1+ for weather. I have the halo+ and loved it. On ST I have it sending the variable value of weather to text messages to my family members and its has been a a great preventive alert method. If only we could get our hands on the zigbee mapping...

Sorry but it's just not worth the effort. The last Halo that was produced was 6 years ago and the lifespan for it is 10 years and for that reason I won't work on adding it. The coding that is involved is so extensive the time it would take isn't doable for any 1 person. @mike.maxwell has stated the same reason.

"The last Halo that was produced was 6 years ago".
Wow, it just doesn't seem that long ago. That means we have around 3 years to start looking for replacing the 7 Halos we have now.

@anon61068208 Are you still using Halo, or have you moved on to a different smoke alarm now?

Yeah... This is a bummer for me as well. I only got one to try way back when but planned on replacing all the rest of ours with Halos as they expired. Having the company go under was a loss. Plus nobody has released anything comparable since.

I went with the first alert ones.

Sorry guys.

1 Like

Hmm, how certain are you of this timeframe?

I believe they started crowdfunding on Indiegogo in 2015, and I bought my Halo device in the spring of 2017 shortly after Lowes started selling them. And then they went out of business in mid 2018.

Iā€™d have to get up on my ladder to check the manufacture date on mine, but Iā€™d be surprised to learn that they stopped producing devices six years ago since they only started crowdfunding a little less than five years ago.

1 Like

I was guessing... it's a bit off apparently. Mine where manufactured in 2016 and I replaced them with first alerts.

Gotcha, thanks.

Iā€™d guess mine was made in 2016 too.

Since the local detector should be good for at least another five years, and it can still connect to hubitat, Iā€™m keeping mine in place for a while longer.

I have the first alert zcombo in a couple other locations and I like them, but I wish they had an option for AC powered with battery backup like Halo, not just battery-only.

I agree. But the detectors at least beep when the battery is low.

I do believe that most Halo's have a 2016 manufacture date, maybe a few with a early 2017 date. In reality they are expired even though they should function as a smoke alarm even without any hub connection from what I have read about them.

I hang out on XDA and when we want root, really badly, we put up a bounty.
Would that change your mind?

Nope.... just not inclined to work on it. I have pulled the relative info that someone can do it if they wish.

https://gitlab.borgnet.us:8443/sgrayban/Halo-Iris

1 Like

@anon61068208 thxs for trying though. But I still don't feel like this device should be abandoned, I get the part that the manufacturer is no longer in business and and all. But the key point of this device is not even the smoke detection feature, but the capability to receive and decode EAS S.A.M.E weather alerts without the use of internet and then parsing that alert into the local automation to alert of hazardous weather (I live in TX, so here weather is a big deal ;-)).

So, in the spirit of what Hubitat stands for, that is automation free of the cloud (for the most part), I will do my best take on this project, I am not a dev or coder by any means, don't know even where to start, but somehow I will make this work.
Even if the smoke detection component is expired, I plan to keep the device for the sole reason of real time weather alerts with the ability to be able to integrate that piece into my environment. I know there are multiple solution like api.weather.gov, or just buying a cheap Midland radio, but none compare (my humble opinion) to having a decoder to trigger local alerts, alarms, lights and so on and not having to rely on external sources.

BTW, just bought another + model on ebay, with a manufactured date tag of 4-2018 for $45 to leave alone the one currently working on ST and use this other one for prototyping the driver.

Again, thxs for your work, will update this thread once I have more traction on the matter, any ideas are welcomed.

2 Likes

I will be happy to try it out or offer what little support I can. I plan on moving my Halo+ when it expires because even after that it will still be useful as a multipurpose sensor that has an RGB ring for visual feedback built in. Any weather or speaker control that ever gets baked into the driver is a bonus.

um, that's flat out not true, this device most certainly requires internet access for this feature to function.