Haiku Fan (Big Ass Fans) support

Unfortunately I got busy again and haven't been able to work on it yet. I promise I haven't abandoned it, but it will be another few weeks before I can take a look.

1 Like

Doing some poking at this driver and my fans:

Discovered that the fans direction can be set with the command <DeviceName;FAN;DIR;FWD|REV> I also discovered that the driver can be simplified to use <ALL;...> when talking to each device over UDP unicast, which would make setup simpler now that discovery is gone.

I'm very new to coding on Hubitat, but will try to make pull requests as I continue exploring.

Made a pull request with 3 main improvements:

• Enable fan direction control
  • Update fan status based on the responses from the fan rather than assuming changes are successful
  • Enable refresh functionality, so that changes made from fan remotes can be reflected in hubitat

I also updated the README somewhat, and made it so that the device name doesn't have to be set for the driver to work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, glad to see progress is being made on this driver.

The Haiku commands are all pretty well documented at this point. This is probably one of the earliest and throrough...
http://bruce.pennypacker.org/tag/senseme-plugin/

Also, don't know if you've seen the documentation, but BAF does not recommend reversing the fan in the winter.
"To that point, a quick soapbox: reversing your overhead Big ■■■ Fan in winter kills its efficiency by pushing up against the airfoils’ design rather than pulling warm air down. This increases both energy usage and the rate of heat loss."

The Haiku commands are all pretty well documented at this point. This is probably one of the earliest and throrough...
senseme-plugin | Bruce's Blog

Thanks for this, I might add woosh mode to the hubitat driver. I don't have a SenseMe to use the other functions.

Also, don't know if you've seen the documentation, but BAF does not recommend reversing the fan in the winter.

I do know that, but my family finds that the fan moves too much air to be comfortable on even on speed 1 forward, so we use speed 1 or 2 reverse.

1 Like

@freedom there's a bounty out there for you if you put the driver on the Hubitat Package manager:

1 Like

I'm having issues with the driver discovering my 4 Haiku fans. I got the driver code installed, created a virtual device with the Haiku driver, put in the proper IPs (from my Eero app), and device name. I saved the preferences, but I don't see any activity from the driver and 'current states' is blank. Am I missing a step?

Not sure if this will help. I had to use the fan's mac address in place of the IP address for this to work.

@zackrbrown may be a dumb question, but is there a way to get commands sent through the Haiku app or remote to be recognized by HE? For example, if I want to use Node Red to make something happen when my Haiku light turns on from the remote or app.

You could use a rule to periodically refresh the device, which would update the fan speed. I just checked and the status doesn't seem to update without a refresh.

It's definitely something I want it it do, but as far as I can tell HE really doesn't like TCP/UDP listen servers. If I could figure that out, I know that it would be possible to respond to commands from the phone app, but I'm not sure how the wall switch or remote send commands.

Take a look at the Samsung tv integration I think it's doing something like that.

Thanks for releasing this Zack. I've been using it with my Haiku fan with light and it works great through Hubitat.

I've been having some trouble integrating it with Homebridge using "Homebridge v2" from homebridge-hubitat-tonesto7. At first I added one driver to Hubitat and assigned it to Homebridge as a light. That works. Then I tried to assign the same driver to Homebridge as a fan. This doesn't work, as Homebridge doesn't allow duplicate drivers for different tasks. No worries, I added a second Haiku driver connecting to the same fan and added that to Homebridge as a fan. This is assigned to Homebridge successfully, and turns up in the Apple Home app as a fan, however it still only turns the light.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to try next? My feeling is that the Haiku driver may need to be split up into a parent driver with 2 child drivers for fan and light. This should allow Homebridge to work correctly. I may have a go at doing that if there's no better suggestions.

The issues I was having was largely a Homebridge-Hubitat issue which I've resolved. I did need to make some changes to this Haiku driver however. Light capability has been added, and level control is now a percentage rather than 0-16.

Pull request has been sent. Changes are here: GitHub - dineshpannu/hubitat-haiku-driver: A Hubitat Elevate driver for Haiku fans

Thanks to Gradenko for the contribution!

NOTE: The current version of the driver on Github now sets the light level according to percentage (0-100) rather than 0-16. You may need update your routines when grabbing this new version.

1 Like

Glad to help!

Would it be possible to add the importUrl: parameter to the driver to make it easier to update? Maybe add some version info too? Thanks!

A few years ago, I performed packet capture to get the following commands so I could add them to the SmartThings Device Handler.

I'm brand new to Hubitat and haven't figured out how to add this to a Hubitat Driver Code - can anyone make sense of how to import the following into this Hubitat Driver?

I would love to make Sleep: ON as part of my night routine.

def sleepon() {
sendEvent(name: "sleep", value: 'sleepon')
request("<" + devname + ";SLEEP;STATE;ON>")
}

def sleepoff() {
sendEvent(name: "sleepoff", value: 'sleepoff')
request("<" + devname + ";SLEEP;STATE;OFF>")
}

def whooshon() {
sendEvent(name: "whoosh", value: 'whooshon')
request("<" + devname + ";FAN;WHOOSH;ON>")
}

def whooshoff() {
sendEvent(name: "whoosh", value: 'whooshoff')
request("<" + devname + ";FAN;WHOOSH;OFF>")
}

@zackrbrown Been using the the Haiku Fan driver for months and just love it! One small enhancement would be to change the 'Set Speed' from preset to either percentage or level 1,2,3,4... The reason is that for my Haiku Fan Low=1 , Medium-Low=2 and Medium=4. I can't get to level 3. Just a thought! Thanks...

My latest update enables percentage control of the fan. I'm waiting for Zack to accept the pull request, but you can check out my fork here: GitHub - dineshpannu/hubitat-haiku-driver: A Hubitat Elevate driver for Haiku fans