Groups and Scenes

Group Bulb Dimmer is for an older version of Group. You should be using Group 2.1, and it uses GBD-2.1. You shouldn't change the type of the device behind the app's back. If you need a different type, you should redo the Group setup.

2 Likes

When I tried to remove a group (the older kind), it worked, but I got an error message. (They were all switches, but the Group function made them into a Group Bulb):

You got an error message while removing the Group app? Did it remove?

Yes, it did.

However, if I may ask when did the concept of a "Group Device Type" come into being? My groups don't have a selection like that. Can I just change the device type driver, or do I have to make up an entirely new group?

Middle of March, 2021. This came about so that Alexa wouldn't always slap a bulb icon on a Group activator device.

You can driver types if the activator devices is already a child device of a Group 2.1 instance.

not sure if this matters but i noticed if i have bulbs in groups then remove them the group still shows on the acutal device page of the bulb. I have a couple of physical bulbs still showing two groups even though they are removed. example of below i did have issues with my two master bulbs but had to reset the one that wouldnt turn on with the group. after i reset the bulb the group worked. It still shows two groups though...

i see on the last update "only dimmer commands" was added which is very helpful in remembering the differences between bulb and dimmer device types in groups. However, shouldnt this be swapped to the dimmer drop down and not the bulb drop down? In the bulb device type you can dim, rgb or tune. In the dimmer device type you can only dim (hence, only dimmer commands). This seems to me it should be opposite of what is says.

It depends on what type of group you set up. If you set it up as a group dimmer, then "only dimmer commands" shows up as a reminder. If you set it up as a group switch, then "only switch commands" shows up. It doesn't say anything if you set it up as a group bulb dimmer.

gotcha, thanks.

I tried to use groups combining several switches, to make the RM rules more simple and transparent.

But unfortunately I realized, it's difficult to keep an overview over the groups. You have to open every group to see what devices are defined. So for me, the hoped-for benefit changes to a disadvantage. So I dispensed groups and preferred to define the individual switches into RM.