Google home support

Google Home isn't able to change the temperature of my thermostat. It can read the current ambient temperature reading, report on the current heating and cooling setpoints, and I can change modes from cooling to heating and vice versa. The only missing thing is being able to actually change the temperature - which I am sorely missing now that it is cold out and I need to get out of bed to change the thermostat. I don't see any activity in the logs to suggest Google is communicating to the thermostat when I try to change the temperature. I am using the Generic Zwave Thermostat driver with a GoControl GC-TBZ48L thermostat. I also tried the generic zwave driver with a Trane TZEMT400BB3NX thermostat with the same results. When I open up the thermostat device page in Hubitat, I can change all the settings including temperature from there so the driver is able to control the thermostat and change the temperature from the device page.

1 Like

There’s a standard experiment you can try if you’d like.

Create a Virtual Switch and set it to auto off in 500ms. In other words, a momentary push button.

Create a Rule that when the button is pressed, the action is: set a specific temp, or temp up one degree.

Verify it works, then add it to Google Home and verify that it can “push the button “

1 Like

Virtual switch that sets a specific temperature via a rule is a work around so yes that works and I have used that. However I would like to just wake up in the middle of the night and ask Google what the current thermostat temperature is and then just say an arbitrary value to set the thermostat temp to. I got used to that with with my old VeraEdge which had Alexa support that worked with thermostats. I am getting spoiled with all this home automation stuff haha. Also I would love to be able to use the Google Home app on my phone and move the circular slider they have to set the temp that way also. I just noticed Sharptools.io has no problems setting the temp on my thermostat so I can use that as my phone app for now.

I have a CT50 WiFi/USNAP z-wave module thermostat that couldn't get Google Home to control since I had set it up and now even after the latest firmware upgrade it still wouldn't work (heat only control).

Well, I was manually setting the thermostatsetpoint and trying a few things (removed Google Home/Hubitat connection...). I then changed the device setting from "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" to "Virtual Thermostat" and nothing happened that I could see. However, to my surprise when I changed the CT50 device back to "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" it finally controls the thermostat heat when I tell my Google Home to "set thermostat to 70" or "set heat to 70".

I'm using "Thermostat for Windows" program and finally can see that within ~17 seconds that the thermostat is controlled by the Hubitat using my Google Home (same as my now removed SmartThings hub). Please note that once Google Home acknowledges my voice command it sets the thermostat right away to the new temp.

Log when setting heat to 72° (currently/after Google Home is working):

• dev:652018-11-24 05:18:06.371 pm infoThermostat (CT30 RTZW-01) thermostatSetpoint is 73°F
  • dev:652018-11-24 05:18:03.318 pm infoThermostat (CT30 RTZW-01) thermostatOperatingState is heating
  • dev:652018-11-24 05:18:01.318 pm infoThermostat (CT30 RTZW-01) thermostatMode is heat
  • --- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

Note: My echo's are pretty much useless for my thermostat, lights, switches and only are working to control my Convert Z-Wave Plus Door Lock (but I have more alexa setup to look into it further). Google Home won't control my door lock or I may not know the right voice command to use...still looking into this though.

Anyone having issues with issuing thermostat commands with the Google Home integration? I'm fairness Homebridge is having the same issue but Sharptools.io works and the device page works. Unfortunately I can't use the native dashboard for thermostat control...

Ok thanks!
Anyone reach out to support? I don't want to pile on it, but if they don't know...

I'm getting "Account linking failed" error when trying to add hubitat to GH via the local app. Tried resetting my portal password but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm running 2.0.1.114.

Nothing appears in the logs.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

How do we get GH to recognize Z-Wave Fans as Fans and not Dimmers?

If you use a switch to turn on the fan, delete the device from google HE app, in GH say "synchronize devices", change the name of the device to have "fan" in the name, like "living room fan", add it to google HE app, synchronize devices in GH, it will be added as a switch, now, if you have the Hampton Bay module or other fan module, not sure, maybe adding the fan in the name works.

@vjv if I use that method will it only have on/off in HE or will it allow for changing speed?

GH supports a bunch of device types Smart Home Device Types  |  Actions on Google  |  Google Developers so it would be nice to see more Hubitat device types supported in GH.

It should let you change the velocity but saying the percent needed, like hey google, change the living room fan to 50 percent, I believe HE see the fan switch as a dimmer, from 1 to 100 percent, so the command will be the same as a bulb but you will get an switch icon instead a bulb icon in GH.

1 Like

That is exactly how our setup is. The switch is seen as a fan controller but takes commands like a dimmer would. On/Off/%. "Hey Google, turn East Wing fan on to 10%" works like you would expect.

1 Like

Virtual buttons are not supported? Haven't tried other virtuals yet.

I'm getting these when trying to "sync devices" and Google says hubitat isn't available (but I see logs)

app:4002018-12-09 08:38:57.636 am errorsyncResponse Error: { "error": { "code": 400, "message": "Precondition check failed.", "status": "FAILED_PRECONDITION" } } , giving up for now

and

app:4002018-12-09 08:55:47.645 am errorsyncResponse Error: { "error": { "code": 429, "message": "Resource has been exhausted (e.g. check quota).", "status": "RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED" } } , giving up for now

Thouhgts?

I went through and eliminated everything but lights associated with rooms. No thermostats, groups, etc.

Well this sure worked for me, so THANK YOU! Two new virtual switches with 500ms set called "Heat Up" and "Heat Down". Each attached to a respective trigger for +1 degree and -1 degree. "Hey Google, turn on Heat Up" Works quite nicely!

1 Like

Centralite Pearl, Generic Zigbee Thermostat Driver for me as well. I created a couple of virtual switches to UP and DOWN the heating setpoint through GH as a workaround. But...If you ask google to just "Raise the Temp" she says OK...but nothing changes on HE or the TStat. No biggie...just thought you might want to add it your 'List O' Stuff'.

Not sure I understand what's going on here. I just linked my Hue account. I only have 8 Hue bulbs, but it's showing 56 for some reason?

1 Like

Hue creates default scenes for each light. Like "Concentrate" . These all get added in addition to the lights at least they do in Alexa, I've not setup a Google account yet.

I see, thanks. I guess LIFX does something similar, as I only have 9 bulbs and it shows 12.