Google Home Presence Detection

Yes I have that function setup too but not really using it in hubitat. It works with the phones in your home as " someone is home " or " noboby is home ". It works well too i just like having the seperate presence for each home user.

For example i like the yard lights to come on when i arrive even if my wife is already home.

1 Like

Ah... I didn't connect the dots on that and I agree, that is one of the things I don't like about Google Home presence. Not being able to see the individual phones makes it harder to troubleshoot if something does go wrong. I think I'll give the location-based routine a try using virtual presence sensors.

Thanks for posting!

1 Like

It works very well. I compared it with life360 for timing and it was the same or better for how quick it triggered.

It's really weird, my home app doesn't have this setting, even I updated to the latest version, and google home presence has not been working for me at all....

"Home app -> Settings -> Presence sensing -> Allow this home to use phone locations"

What setting are you missing? If you go make a routine/automation in home app can you select "when i arrive or leave a location" as a starter? you have to create it as a personal routine not a household routine

My home app doesn't have the "presence sensing" in settings

are you on the public preview build?

Try adding a home and away routine to trigger the presence setting

Didn't know I need to be on public preview, I'll join and see. Thx.

I don't know if you do or not. But doesn't hurt to be.

But either way you may have to add those two routines then it will go through the permissions for using presence I think

I have managed to set this up on an Android but I can't figure out if this works on an iPhone. My Google Home is setup and each family member has the presence sensing configured and working. Thus Google Home switches between Home and Away accordingly with a mix of Androids and iPhones being used.

However when setting up a personal routine on the iPhones the last option, "When I arrive at or leave location" is missing. I know Google Home is using the location as when they come and go from home, it is recorded in the presence activity.

An I missing something as to why my iPhones cannot setup a location based routine?

iPhone 12 iOS 17
iPhone 15 iOS 17

Exactly the same experience with my phone (android) and my wife's (iPhone).

Really frustrating that the option doesn't appear and nothing I could find when I looked previously to suggest that it should or shouldn't be there.

On the iPhone how are you then keeping track of presence?

I see other options like Geofency Presence but that comes with a cost and iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor is another option but I didn't want a constant ping on my network.

I'm not currently. The deal with my wife is whatever we pick has to work reliably given the impact of false triggers/reporting that would occur.

The Google Home solution works 100% for me as far as I can tell. It's such a shame it won't extend to IPhone.

I've tried a few including one that shared the exact address/location of the user with the Hub (and therefore me), this crossed a bit of a line for me. Others have been very glitchy.

My last experiment was to use a ping command (in Rule Machine I think) to regularly ping the ip address of her phone regularly, but this only works on the range of the WiFi, not a perimeter zone and it's also really unreliable and says the phone hasn't responded to the ping when it's definitely on the WiFi.

I also have Home Assistant connected to my HE Hubs, but my knowledge of that is limited and I use it mainly for the dashboard functionality and for some Zigbee devices that won't work with HE. From what I can tell there is the same presence challenges on that platform too.

Wish I could help more but it seems we are in the same boat

Just doesn't seem like there are many good options. Thanks for your help.

@twodaend and @user4286, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but for the iPhone the best thing to do is get an Apple Home Hub and use HomeKit with the iPhone. Buy the cheapest, used HomePod or AppleTV (run it headless if necessary) you can find. Once you setup Apple Home, it will provide the reliability you are looking for.

Yea, I figured the best solution would come at a price. Unfortuatly we are mainly a Google household with a little bit of Amazon sprikled around. I was hoping to advoid a 3rd ecosystem.

Myself & Wife - Team Google/Android
2 Daughters - Team Apple/iOS

I don't mind suggestions of other options. If a home pod etc really does offer that level of reliability then thanks for the tip

The other thing you could try is Locative Presence app for iOS full setup. This wouldn't require additional hardware and is generally well received by the community.

2 Likes

Haven't read all your posts, but have you tried this yet? Android and iOS in one package. Option to include real-time mapping...

1 Like

I set it up on the iPhones and this one looks like a winner. Straight forward setup. Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes