Good outdoor outlet option?

I'm looking at outdoor outlets, too, but my reason isn't for IP65. I want something with operating temperature in the -4-120 F range. Apparently, the outdoor Jasco is rated 32-104 (both first and second gen). I don't see how an outdoor switch could only support 32-104 F, when one of the major use cases is for Christmas lights in Winter!

I want mine to go in my attic, which means it needs to not have a problem over 104 F, either.

So my options seem to be the ZW97 from Eva-Logik or the MP22Z from Minoston, which both are rated -4~120 F. I really don't need the second outlet, they both cost the same, but I'm not sure if the Minoston will work well. I'm guessing it will probably work fine.

One question: when these are switched off, is there any voltage present? It doesn't continue providing a low AC voltage, right? I'm running a pretty low draw PoE injector/switch up there, and want to be able to turn it on/off remotely and need be sure it will work for that.

1 Like

I agree the Jasco/GE outdoor rating is questionable.

That said, I have 4 of them outside in San Antonio, in full sun (aka much above 104F), and they have worked fine for years.

They've been exposed to <32F, too, but not much below and not for long. So I can't comment as much there.

Side note - the old model is on sale for $18. For that price I would try it - not much to lose...

https://byjasco.com/jasco-z-wave-plus-plug-in-outdoor-smart-switch-black

wonder if painting them white would help in the sun like that. lol.

Agreed--just took a look and with shipping it's $23.50. For $30 I could get either of the others, which are rated for the temps I expect.

That said, the quality of the hardware is probably the same, anyway. But not sure if I should spend hours deciding over $7... I just don't want to buy one and have it not work well for me.

2 Likes

There are a number of Wifi outdoor outlets that support tasmota. You can skim this list and see which ones amazon has in stock. I picked up a few of these recently on sale at $10 each. The tasmota/sonoff community drivers work great and you can control these from your network (i.e. outside of Hubitat).

2 Likes

Also a good idea. I didn't think about that!

1 Like

I have had a couple of the GE non-plus type plugs (although newer one might be plus, the first one died in a lightening strike that killed several other things) and have used them on occasion in below zero (F) temps with no problems.

1 Like

@BrianP which one did you go with and any issues getting the Minoston MP22Z on Hubitat if that’s the way you went?

I went with the Jasco. It's worked fine for me so far.

When I needed to control an outdoor outlet on the front of my house, I just installed a Lutron RadioRA 2 RF Relay Module on the feed to that outlet (in the ceiling of my basement).

If you've got access to the wire going to your outdoor outlet(s), something like that may be the way to go.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the mp22z ? @BrianP did you avoid it because it's not on the compatible hw list?

@Panda did you end up using it?

They seem to be running at good price on Amazon.ca.. we don't get as much stock circulating on Amazon up here.. seems to be better rated for cold temp than the GE. So would really like to get it, but don't want to waste time if it is not gonna work on HE ?

I have other Jasco (GE) products so I"m pretty happy with the quality, and they ended up being on sale for less than the MP22Z. I haven't used them much outside in really cold weather, but hopefully they'll work fine. No problems in heat heat of my attic over the summer, but they aren't very old yet. I have two right now, one will run Christmas lights this winter.

I have a feeling the temp ratings don't have anything to do with the hardware quality. It's probably just what was tested by the manufacturer. That said, I was in the same boat, and ended up with the Jasco because of the sale price. I'd probably choose the MP22Z if it was the same price.

I have one and it works although I found the range to be short so I had to move it to a place closer to the hub.

Now it could have been I wasn’t patient enough but I found the Eva Logik ZW96 to be a little better in responding. It’s bigger and has a longer cord which could have made the difference since I was dealing with a lot of metal near the outlet outside. The zw96 has two outlets (one controlled and one not) as well which worked for me. The one with two controlled outlets I could not get working on Smartthings and I’ve heard others have had challenges with so I’ve skipped (although could have used).

I recently purchased on of those, the ZW97, and it paired effortlessly for me and the responsiveness is great for me. There even is a specific driver for this unit that allows configuration of the outlets built in automation parameters.

Sweet. Lot of use for that second one.

I have four working perfectly with HE. It doesn't get cold here. :slightly_smiling_face: