Good outdoor outlet option?

I get what you are saying, but GE isn't the only one who does this. Inovelli and Zooz are exceptions to the rule for the most part.

I will definitely prioritize things and look at Zooz and Inovelli over say Jasco, but if Jasco is the only one who makes a certain device, I will still buy it. By the same token, if there is a choice between 3 paddle dimmers, I will NOT buy any more Jasco.

That being said, the GE outdoor outlets are fine. I have a couple and haven't had any issues with them.

2 Likes

Agreed whole heartedly. That's why the original question (if there were other options). =)

I've been fairly happy with my non-plus models, but it's getting closer than closer to me just replacing all my non-plus non-battery devices.

Even if the old outlets aren't plus, why replace them? I don't see any advantage if they are just a very simple on/off switch. I don't think it really affects the mesh or anthing???

I've had one running for a couple of months. Seems to work fine.

1 Like

The lock that shall remain unnamed :rofl:

4 Likes

Is there some problems with the HS-WS200+?
I don't have one but based on my positive experience with the HS-WD200+ Wall Dimmer I would feel comfortable to consider it if the need arose.

Yeah... This was my favorite product as it was the first one I really got to make from scratch and watch it come to life :sleepy:

You're correct in that we had a falling out with that manufacturer and unfortunately couldn't fight them for rights to the product. Live and learn, I suppose.

The ones you're seeing are, in fact, the manufacturer's own brand. I can at least vouch for the firmware being awesome lol!

Anyway, yes, we do plan on bringing back outdoor plugs, but it likely won't be until either tariffs are lifted on them or early 2021, hopefully sooner.

I think our new manufacturer has some white label ones we could take a look at, but I think they'd also have to convert them to Z-Wave as the ones we saw were WiFi or BT.

2 Likes

Interesting. Some on amazon are Eva Logik brand (double plug, even still called your old model number zw97) and the single outlet are Minoston.

I assume you guys have stopped firmware development on them.

Any opinion of one of these vs the new Jasco’s (14298)? Advantage so far to the Jasco is they support S2.

Yeah Eva Logik is my former partner's brand. I'm still not sure Minoston's relationship with them, so I can't speak to that brand, but if I had to take a guess, it's likely the exact same device as Eva Logik.

What I liked about the ZW97 was that it had two independent outlets. We tried to price this at the same price as Jasco/GE to offer a more functional benefit for the same price.

It does appear to support S2 per the Z-Wave Alliance, which is good: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3701?selectedFrequencyId=-1

I haven't tried the new Jasco outdoor plug, but it appears to be pretty solid.

If it were me, I'd go with Eva Logik. It's $13 less and you get two smart outlets vs one. It's like they took a page from Inovelli's playbook lol.

2 Likes

It says just s2 unauthenticated (not sure it really matters in this case. But I’m also not entirely sure whether non-S2 compliant devices can fully relay S2 traffic). Not sure that matters, but interesting.

Good to know you don’t hate the old partner. That’s encouraging.

Yeah great question/comment - I'm not sure on that either. @ericm may know the answer to that.

Yeah, no hard feelings. He got us off our feet and believed in us when we were selling products out of our garage lol. Ultimately a good guy, just got a tad greedy.

2 Likes

Any Z-Wave device will relay a message for any other Z-Wave device at any security (or not) level. The S2 side of things is a bit new to me, but my understanding is that there are (at least) two levels of S2, with S2 authenticated devices requiring a code from a device when joining (some hubs may do this by letting you scan a QR code, but manual entry of the relevant 5 digits is also possible) and S2 unauthenticated devices just joining, possibly after asking you to confirm that the full code matches the one you see on the device. Perimeter devices (locks, garage doors) might have an additional mechanism beyond authentication, but I haven't used any of those in the wild yet, so I can't speak from experience. From what I've seen, S2 unauthenticated is pretty common, especially on sensors and repeater-only devices.

This whole point is mostly moot right now (unless you plan on going all-in on S2 in the future--in which case this device would still work); Hubitat does not currently support S2, though staff have hinted that they are aware of the requests. It does support S0 (to which most...all?...such devices should also settle for), but staff currently recommend against S0 except where needed due to the extra traffic it requires, a problem S2 greatly reduces.

But yeah, to summarize, I'd say the outlet should be fine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Only other issue/concern/question is finding if the Eva Logik is UL listed (not looking for debate on merits of that).

went with one of each. A ZW97 and a Gen2 Jasco.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sweet, curious to hear which one you like better!

Don't have the ZW97 yet, but got the Jasco. Holy crap it's nice. A. it's significantly smaller than the old style. The double screw mounts is also nice (doesn't hang so wonky). Included immediately, and responds SUPER fast. Significantly faster than my old non-plus model. Took the opportunity to remove the rest of my non-plus hardwired devices.

Waiting for ZW97 to get here (I think mid-next week)....

Hey @danfox52 I just added this plug to my smart devices. I got the Hubitat to find the device, however, I am having difficulty getting it recognized by Alexa. I am relatively new to Hubitat so I am sure I am doing something incorrectly. I go into the Amazon Alexa app, go to devices, click the plus to add device, click add device, select plug, select GE, then the app prompts me to select a hub and Hubitat is not listed, select other, select discover devices and no joy. Any thoughts?

I don't use Alexa, but in HE you probably need to go into the Alexa connection app and add the device.

Got it. I was going about it incorrectly. Thank you for your help!

Got the ZW97. It's HUGE (relative to Jasco). It's bigger than the older GE model, but included very easily, and seems to be quite fast and reliable.

Used to think a flat plug connector would be better, but given how it's at an angle, I have to kind of manhandle the cable to get it to come out of the outlet cover (the outlet in question goes horizontal with a all weather cover over the top). Definitely would switch to a straight plug in the future.