Ghost Z-Wave Devices

I have 2 ghost devices that I cannot remove. I am guessing it is because when I refresh they end up in a "PENDING" status. I have tried turning off power to the switches that I believe are the culprit but they still sit as PENDING.

Once you have a "Remove" button, as long as power is off to the actual device the ghost represents, using the Remove button (sometimes takes repeated tries) should work. Sometimes ghosts don't go away easily and it takes using a UZB stick and PC Controller app.

It could be that the device(s) you think are the culprits aren't the right devices, that's happened to me. If you can turn off power to more devices and try Remove again that might help.

I had an extremely persistent ghost that only removed via UZB stick, however, it was having zero affect on my mesh/system performance so I could have just left it and ignored it. If yours are in that category that's an option as well. :slight_smile: (I know , it can be hard, OCD led me to removing mine via UZB stick.)

2 Likes

Thanks Danabw. I ordered a stick - I will try to turn off more power and see what happens as well. I too am OCD so they have to go! lol

1 Like

Instructions here:

Ghost Removal - Who you gonna call!?

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Worked like a champ! The PC wouldn't recognize the UZB-7 USB stick until I manually installed the driver. The other tough part was finding the PC Controller app - finally clicked on "Tools" and there it was. After that I followed the instructions, then rebooted my hub and my life is complete once again!

I removed 3 devices and only one had a routing table. I was going to run a z-wave repair, but I think I will wait and see how the network reacts.

2 Likes

Glad it worked - the feeling of victory when the ghosts go away is pretty good. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me about that - I added a note to the guide about how to find it under Tools. I wish they hadn't decided to force a download of the huge package, instead of just getting the PC Controller.

Definitely hold off and let the mesh work through things on its own for a few days.

2 Likes

Some hip new trendy issues that all the cool kids want:

• "Ghost Routes"... devices that have been removed but other devices are still showing as routing through them that do not clear over time.
  • "Rigid Routes" - devices that refuse to ever change their crappy routing even with myriad of better choices.. "get off my lawn!"
  • "Lonely Repeaters" - repeaters/powered devices added to the system that just sit and smell the flowers while not routing anything through them.
5 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen all three. But I’m not cool, definitely not a kid, and I didn’t want any of them.

2 Likes

Do what I'm doing - mail it to @lewis.heidrick, he's taken on the role of King of the Island of Misfit Repeaters. :wink:

3 Likes

"We're Sgt. Peppers lonely repeaters band...". :sunglasses:

1 Like

On the lonely repeaters front I've been observing some interesting behavior. I have a back door light that is at the far end of the house so I started building out the mesh where I could, and finally added a few repeaters to flesh things out. One of the repeaters I placed close (other side of the wall) to where I think its final location will be, but not is its exact location due to some upcoming remodeling; so I wasn't too concerned that it wasn't getting any routes through it. After sitting idle in its location for almost a month though, with no other device changes in the mesh, I noticed that it is now starting to participate. Thinking my mesh might be a slow learner :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It's less helpful when routing seems to change on geologic timescales vs standard "impatient" time. :mountain: :rofl:

I guess once things are in place you could exclude/reset/include the devices you want to go through the repeater and hopefully that would do the trick.

3 Likes

:laughing: I'm definitely one that could benefit from a Do It Now #%$* button...

2 Likes

I had a Leviton zwave wall switch that was giving me tons of grief. After excluding it and attempting several times to include it, I finally got it to work. For a few months. Went through the whole thing again and eventually called Leviton, who sent me a replacement switch. Meanwhile I ripped the switch out and put a Lutron Caseta in its place, problem solved, works great. But I was left with three ghost zwave devices, likely from my attempts to get the Leviton paired. I was able to click "repair" a few times and eventually the "remove" button appeared. A few more clicks and eventually all three ghost devices went away.

1 Like