My hubitat C-8 inclusion doesn't work

I'm using C8, with platform version 2.3.8.134.

I can't get the inclusion mode to include anything! I've tried several different z-wave items, the latest being the aeotec range extender.

For each, I've tried excluding them first, and running through factor reset (I've done both multiple times). For example, I will run exclusion several times in a row, each time saying it excluded a device. But then inclusion does nothing. I do not see any device listed.

I've tried putting the devices several feet apart, and several inches apart, with still no luck.

What else should I be trying? Or is this potentially an issue of a faulty hubitat?

Please provide your hub model (C7, C8, etc.) and its platform version from Settings>Hub Details.

Check out the following post for help troubleshooting problems and gathering details that will help others to identify and solve the problem you are experiencing: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

Did you read the Z-Wave section in the "Read First" post which is included in your post as the post template?

Yes.

• have the latest firmware
  • programmed to US (which is where I am)
  • I've rebooted
  • I'm using the supplied power supply
  • I've tried the above both when I am connected with an ethernet cable and when on wifi

I have just one hub. Can't connect to anything.

Are you initiation the inclusion through the device p? Or trying to use smart start? I haven’t been able to include anything using smart start for at least 5 months.

What does your Z-Wave Details list show? Include a picture of the list if it is not empty.

I'm initiating manually (add devices --> z-wave --> zwave inclusion / exclusion)

It's not empty, and I can't seem to remove them:

The important information (Route) is cut off on the right of your screenshot.

If those are your only devices and you can't remove them I'd go nuclear and reset your Z-Wave radio. You need to go to the diagnostic tool, which is a link on the settings page or http://your_hub_ip:8081. Enter the MAC address on the back of the hub. Go down to the red Advanced button and reset the Z-Wave radio. If you have more real device entries (not ghosts) in the table you may want to go through the device removal process, but that can be time consuming.

After that include the repeater first. If you have other mains powered device add them next. Locks generally need repeaters so include them last. Same goes for any other battery powered devices.

1 Like

If I had to guess, most or all of the Lock devices may be ghosts resulting from attempting to pair the same lock (Note the incrementing Node numbers with no gaps, coupled with the fact that there have been multiple exclusion/pairing attempts, which should have produced node number gaps). Need to see the route info to know better. Would help to also know how many physical lock devices there are.

Agree about including the repeater first. FLiRS devices, such as locks, need a repeater nearby.

Here's the more complete view:

Ok, and how many physical locks do you have? looks like all of your lock devices are "ghosts".

I concur, these appear to all be ghosts. If you are just starting, and haven't done much with automations or dashboards, I also think that it might be easier to nuke the entire Z-wave radio.

You should read the below. Like the others said it is important to add things in the right order. Trying to add (and make work) a lock first is probably going to be an exercise in futility.

Just 1! I will go ahead and nuke the system and start with the repeater.

1 Like

Forgot to add the above:

Locks often need to added quite close to the hub to successfully pair. This is more true with older locks, but some are just picky in general. Many locks for security have a "whisper mode" where they don't like to pair over long distances. Repeaters may help, and may allow pairing in place, but if you can't pair the lock you might have to get the lock within a couple feet of the hub.

You also should have two windows/tabs open in your browser, pair the item and be sure that it fully pairs and works before moving onto the next device.

1 Like

There are three key documents that you need to read first. I'm trying to locate them right now.

The main thing to keep in mind is to check after every inclusion to see that you have a device created, and that it works (from the device page). If not, STOP and remove that device before trying to include another. Doesn't hurt to reboot the hub (from settings). If you have a "ghost" from a failed inclusion, it needs to be removed before proceeding.

In order to remove failed nodes, please go to the Z-Wave Details page, then select the Refresh button for the node you'd like to remove. After the page reloads, then select Remove . Note that you may need to repeat the procedure several times for the Remove button to appear.

Here is one key document:

And another:

The third has the info given above to STOP and remove the ghost device if when you get a ghost device from a bad inclusion.

2 Likes

Ok, I'm able to include the repeater now. The lock is still not working, but at least it isn't appearing in the zwave details list!

Thanks all! Have a few more sensors I will try out.

Make sure when you pair the lock to select to pair with security. If you select no security the lock will refuse to pair, by design they have to use security. Looks like that is why it failed before.
You might need to exclude / factory reset it first from all the attempts before.

I would highly recommend using Smart Start if your lock has the QR code, it makes pairing so much easier! Despite what was said above, it has always worked fine for me. I paired all 4 of my locks with Smart Start not too long ago, no issues.

Just have the device powered off, scan the QR code into the HE app, then power up the device. It will include itself within a few minutes.

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/compliance-docs/zwave-manual#z-wave-plus-smartstart-devices-on-the-network

4 Likes

Thank you! I was able to finally get the lock set up (with security). You're right, that's why it had failed before.

Ok, now the fun can begin :slight_smile: (hopefully)

1 Like