Ghost Devices

My understanding is that the hub normally cleans these up during its overnight maintenance cycle. However, if that fails, there currently isn't a "native" option to do so if you have the current generation (C-5) of hub. What you can do is join a secondary controller to your network (the Aeon Z-Stick, Nortek/Linear HUSBZB-1, HomeSeer SmartStick+ G2, Zooz ZST10 are all ones I've tried that I know work; I think the zwave.me stick is one I've also heard of working, and I'm sure there are several others). If you're using a C-4 or even a C-3, which don't have internal Z-Wave radios, then you're already good here and can use the stick (actually your primary controller) for this purpose.

In any case, once you have a stick on your Hubitat Z-Wave network, you can plug it into a PC and use the Z-Wave PC Controller software (download available somewhere on SiLab's site, free account required last time I tried). If you need to join an external stick to your hub, this is also one option you can use to do that, too (I've used "Network Wide Inclusion" or "NWI Learn Mode" in the software to do this while Hubitat is in Z-Wave discovery mode).

Then compare the node list in that software (on the left side--after you get your stick recognized by the software) with the node list from Hubitat, accessible from Settings > Z-Wave Details. Make sure you are using the decimal (base 10, as humans are used to) node IDs from Hubitat rather than the hexadecimal (0-9 and A-F) representations to match.

To actually remove the node, what I've done is select the node on the left, choose "Mark Failed," then do "Remove Failed Node." There may be another or better way that works, but I haven't been able to figure out how to remove a node without marking it as failed first. (I suspect the "Remove" button might let you choose a node ID and do it that way, but...I'm removing it because the device is failed, so I'm assuming it can't be a bad choice. :laughing: ) I know @aaiyar has had some experience doing this, too*, so I'll tag him here to see if he has anything to add (or correct).

(*I should add that this isn't something I've needed to do on a regular basis, just something I did after I was testing a few different devices and beta testing Hubitat and a had a couple devices never finish pairing. The overnight process might have worked, but I didn't want to wait.)

4 Likes

Can anyone recommend the cheapest USB stick to run through this process with? Or even, if anyone has an extra to sell? I need to try to troubleshoot my z-wave network and it kind of sucks to have to spend 30/40 dollars on something just to do some troubleshooting

Do you have a C4 or C5? If C4 with external stick you can use it.

1 Like

I would definitely go the @ritchierich route if that's possible. If not, the UZB7, which supposedly works with PC Controller (after all, they're both from SiLabs), is $19 at Mouser Electronics.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs/SLUSB001A?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugzriJ09LCWyQJ5y%2F1FtJLLd6Cl4fOMf%2Bw%3D

C4. Cool, so I’ll try my Hubitat stick on my windows PC. Any suggestions on what drivers I’ll need?

Yes this will work just make sure you shut down your hub prior to pulling out the stick. You will find this thread useful to get the USB stick windows drivers:

@csteele recommended a few here though you can register for an account on Silicon Labs website and download their utilities:

1 Like

One small piece of advice (kudos to @bertabcd1234 - his advice is remarkable for its comprehensiveness):
When you do the pairing of that external device to your Hubitat Hub, make sure that it's relatively close in physical distance, because there is a lot of information that is exchanged at that time between the Hubitat Hub and the new Zwave Controller Stick.

3 Likes

thanks @ritchierich - i was able to get to my devices from Windows10 on the Hubitat stick. No ghost devices! Everything matched, so I guess I've been diligent with my exclusions.

2 Likes

Is someone in the hubitat crew (maybe @bcopeland) working on a way to get rid of these ghost devices in a easier way? Hate to spend money on a stick a fix is coming out.

However, if the only official solution is to wipe the hub, I will consider options. Cause it is a major pain to redo the entire system.

NO don't do that! It doesn't solve anything, and just makes you add everything again. And it probably will get stuck doing the same thing it does now.

Wiping the hub is ONLY used when selling the hub.

Bryan has been working diligently, nights and weekends from what I've seen, as well as the rest of the team, on many changes that came in 2.2.3.142, which is much better than previous releases at cleaning out and avoiding ghosts in my experience.

If you have already updated to 2.2.3.142 and still have issues w/your Z-Wave devices, and have ghosts in your Z-Wave Details list, then you may benefit from the following.

If you have devices like this in your list:

• Shut down the hub, pull power when the red light appears, and then wait a minute, Reconnect power and see if anything has changed.
  • Try the individual Refresh, Discover, Repair, and Remove options for each device that looks like above, and see if that recovers, or removes the devices.
  • If the device does not show any routing (last column) when you use the the Refresh, Discover, and Repair options, it may well be a "dead" ghost that is no longer active/causing problems. It has become just a cosmetic issue. It may appear in your list, but is not doing anything bad to your mesh.

If you try the options above and still have Z-Wave problems, regular latency, devices not working, Busy messages from the Hub in your Logs screen, then you may want to use a UZB key to clean things up.

Very detailed write-up below, including link to where you can get the generally cheapest and frequently used device on this forum. You can use any Z-Wave stick, but I believe since you have a C7 it needs to be one that supports the newer chipset (the one linked to in the write up does).

How to Remove Ghosts using UZB Stick

Well I do have 5 ghost devices, after updating to .142 they do not show any routing, but I have been getting the busy message, also after the update.

Right now It is in a state that I can live with temporarily. However, I would like to get rid of the ghost devices at some point, even if its just my OCD. :crazy_face:

Does this SLUSB001A stick work for for z-wave 868.4?

I do know that the SLUSB7000A (UZB-7), which I have and which has a Z-Wave 700 chip, does - there is a setting in SimplicityStudio’s PC Controller that lets you choose region. I don’t have a SLUSB001A device, so I can’t answer your specific question, but I do know that 700 series devices are supported to change region frequencies.

ok tHANKS

PC Controller transmit settings location:

Good to know! Thanks

I got my Silicon Labs USB for ghost devices. Got the software running and my stick included.
I don't have ghosts, but wanted to put it through a dry run.

Now I can't exclude it from my C-7. Could you give more detail about this process please?

See the guide... Exclusion is explained there.

Dropbox - Hubitat UZB Stick How-To.pdf - Simplify your lifeGhost removal

1 Like

I think the problem I was having is my ver of PC controller looks different. (5.50.102)

But I did go back and got it excluded ok now.

In my PC controller version, you have to go to the tools dropdown and select Zwave PC Controller to get the GUI with the buttons to appear like you show in #8. If you don't use the Tools menu dropdown, this window will not show for people to continue with your instructions.

Thanks