Ghost Devices

Yes this will work just make sure you shut down your hub prior to pulling out the stick. You will find this thread useful to get the USB stick windows drivers:

@csteele recommended a few here though you can register for an account on Silicon Labs website and download their utilities:

1 Like

One small piece of advice (kudos to @bertabcd1234 - his advice is remarkable for its comprehensiveness):
When you do the pairing of that external device to your Hubitat Hub, make sure that it's relatively close in physical distance, because there is a lot of information that is exchanged at that time between the Hubitat Hub and the new Zwave Controller Stick.

3 Likes

thanks @ritchierich - i was able to get to my devices from Windows10 on the Hubitat stick. No ghost devices! Everything matched, so I guess I've been diligent with my exclusions.

2 Likes

Is someone in the hubitat crew (maybe @bcopeland) working on a way to get rid of these ghost devices in a easier way? Hate to spend money on a stick a fix is coming out.

However, if the only official solution is to wipe the hub, I will consider options. Cause it is a major pain to redo the entire system.

NO don't do that! It doesn't solve anything, and just makes you add everything again. And it probably will get stuck doing the same thing it does now.

Wiping the hub is ONLY used when selling the hub.

Bryan has been working diligently, nights and weekends from what I've seen, as well as the rest of the team, on many changes that came in 2.2.3.142, which is much better than previous releases at cleaning out and avoiding ghosts in my experience.

If you have already updated to 2.2.3.142 and still have issues w/your Z-Wave devices, and have ghosts in your Z-Wave Details list, then you may benefit from the following.

If you have devices like this in your list:

• Shut down the hub, pull power when the red light appears, and then wait a minute, Reconnect power and see if anything has changed.
  • Try the individual Refresh, Discover, Repair, and Remove options for each device that looks like above, and see if that recovers, or removes the devices.
  • If the device does not show any routing (last column) when you use the the Refresh, Discover, and Repair options, it may well be a "dead" ghost that is no longer active/causing problems. It has become just a cosmetic issue. It may appear in your list, but is not doing anything bad to your mesh.

If you try the options above and still have Z-Wave problems, regular latency, devices not working, Busy messages from the Hub in your Logs screen, then you may want to use a UZB key to clean things up.

Very detailed write-up below, including link to where you can get the generally cheapest and frequently used device on this forum. You can use any Z-Wave stick, but I believe since you have a C7 it needs to be one that supports the newer chipset (the one linked to in the write up does).

How to Remove Ghosts using UZB Stick

Well I do have 5 ghost devices, after updating to .142 they do not show any routing, but I have been getting the busy message, also after the update.

Right now It is in a state that I can live with temporarily. However, I would like to get rid of the ghost devices at some point, even if its just my OCD. :crazy_face:

Does this SLUSB001A stick work for for z-wave 868.4?

I do know that the SLUSB7000A (UZB-7), which I have and which has a Z-Wave 700 chip, does - there is a setting in SimplicityStudio’s PC Controller that lets you choose region. I don’t have a SLUSB001A device, so I can’t answer your specific question, but I do know that 700 series devices are supported to change region frequencies.

ok tHANKS

PC Controller transmit settings location:

Good to know! Thanks

I got my Silicon Labs USB for ghost devices. Got the software running and my stick included.
I don't have ghosts, but wanted to put it through a dry run.

Now I can't exclude it from my C-7. Could you give more detail about this process please?

See the guide... Exclusion is explained there.

Dropbox - Hubitat UZB Stick How-To.pdf - Simplify your lifeGhost removal

1 Like

I think the problem I was having is my ver of PC controller looks different. (5.50.102)

But I did go back and got it excluded ok now.

In my PC controller version, you have to go to the tools dropdown and select Zwave PC Controller to get the GUI with the buttons to appear like you show in #8. If you don't use the Tools menu dropdown, this window will not show for people to continue with your instructions.

Thanks

Glad you got it excluded successfully. :slight_smile:

Can you provide a screen shot to clarify what didn't work the way you expected? I've launched the PC Controller app directly from a link, by searching for "PC Controller" using the Windows "Type here to search" field in the taskbar, and from the Simplicity Studio Tools option, and the app looks the same regardless how I launch it. Also launched 5.50.102 next to 5.39 and they look the same to me.

I included and excluded my UZB stick using the newer 5.50 version of PC Controller and the process works the same as it did in the 5.39 version. I also launched it from the Simplicity Studio and it looks the same as far as I can tell.

Can you clarify what you mean by "If you don't use the Tools menu dropdown this window will not show..."

Which window are you referring to? Thanks! Want to make sure the instructions are working as expected.

Also - make sure you have the currrent version of the instructions.

When you first launch Simplicity studio it opens with

On the left menu bar Tools must be opened and a drop down then lets you choose PC COntroller

This step is omitted in your instructions. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Thanks for clarifying...

I"ve updated step 5 to make this clearer:

1. Open the Z-Wave PC Controller app. You can 1) Create a desktop shortcut using the link provided above in step 2; or 2) Open Simplicity Studio and use the Tools option in the menu to open the Tools dialog; or 3) Search for "PC Controller" using the Windows "Type here to search" field in the taskbar.

Step 2 has had this info, but clearly it wasn't clear enough and likely gets lost in all the details:

Once the PC Controller app is installed you can create a shortcut to access the app directly from your desktop using this link: C:\SiliconLabs\SimplicityStudio\v5\developer\tools\zwave\pc_controller\ZWaveControllerUI.exe

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for putting these instructions together!

3 Likes

Will a ghost node have a description of specific type power switch binary or specific type routing sensor binary?