Getting beyond frustrated. I think I am in over my head

How do you have this setup. It sounds like a very good idea, but no clue how to setup a rule to accomplish it. I did order 4 Ring extenders. Thanks

It takes 2 Rules and a driver.

First, in order to be able to shut the Hub down cleanly, install Dominic Meglioā€™s (@dman2306ā€™s) Hubitat Hub Controller. It installs using HPM, which you already installed. Just search for Keyword: Controller and you will find it, install is straightforward.

Then, once itā€™s installed, install a virtual device on the Devices page, select Type Hubitat Hub Controller (the User-contributed device drivers are at the bottom of the list), Save, Configure. Leave the Hub address at 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

Then, after you have paired the Ring Extenders:

Install (enter) the following Rule to detect power fail. I see if all power fail events are seen; that way, if I take one out to move it as I try to determine best placement, or if one gets knocked out of the receptacle during cleaning, the hub doesnā€™t shut down. Perhaps I should do a voting algorithm instead, see if a majority fail, or at least two. Thatā€™s another project.

Note that it calls the Hub Controller driver to do the shutdown (Run Custom Actions, Actuator, select Hub Controller device you added above).

Then, install the following Rule. The problem it solves is that, when shut down, the hub misses the ā€œReturn to Mainsā€ power event from the Ring Extenders, so we refresh them on SystemStart (a builtā€”in Location Event, for some reason).

As always, ask if questions. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks... on my to do list ... after 2 ghosts are gone.. (stick delayed till tomorrow) and after extenders are installed.
Thanks

Great to see another example of the Community pitching in and helping someone struggling with their setup... nice work everyone.

3 Likes

Got z stick

4 Likes
1 Like

WOOO HOOOO
My ghosts are gone.
Now to think about my next step and GO SLOW.
Will check for ghosts after any adds.
Have a couple of repeaters being delivered this afternoon, will start there, close to hub and work my way out.
QUESTION.
So later I want to add a Z-Wave Switch in the middle of the mesh. How do I best handle that?
Thanks

6 Likes

Once the mesh is solid adding switches, etc. to it usually goes smoothly, the exception being when you try to add a device past the range of the mesh.

2 Likes

Can you help me understand "solid adding switches". I still have I think all my LWR_RSSI numbers in the orange and red on "Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details". Thanks

I think @thebearmay meant -

Once the mesh is solid [,] adding switches to it....

Once your repeaters are in place your mesh should be "stronger". Adding devices should be less of an issue unless you are outside the range of the mesh.

2 Likes

Congratulations! You have now passed the Hubitat C-7 rite of initiation. It may be hard to believe, but it is so much better now than it was at product introduction.

3 Likes

The details on Amazon state this:

• Requires the Ring Alarm Base Station and only boosts the Ring Alarm system network

Can these be used without a Ring device to extend Z-wave? Or must I have a Ring device as well?

@mebejedi, you only need the extender itself nothing else is required... this is on my C-7..

3 Likes

Yes. I have 6 on my C-7, no other Ring devices.

No. The only possible thing that a Ring base station might be needed for is to update firmware. I havenā€™t seen firmware files on Ringā€™s website for the Range Extenders (or anything else).

4 Likes

I have them all over my house and donā€™t have a ring base station.. They are my favorite repeaters because of the battery backup..

3 Likes

Apparently the Hubitat hub's favorite too. Lots of devices grab onto these repeaters very readily. Did you give these higher priority in the routing table or something? :wink:

1 Like

Don't have that kind of control over the SDK .. Wish I did..

I have the opposite experience. I have moved my one Ring repeater all over house to try and get any devices to use it as repeater. No luck. My devices seem to prefer the Aeotec one.

1 Like

Yeah me too at least initially - over time (and subsequent firmware updates) things seem to have improved and more stuff is routing through them. I do think location is key I usually put it half or a third of the way from the hub to device that's furthest (farthest?) away erring on the side of closer to the hub.

I think I got it. Does this look Correct?
How do I test it?
Thanks tons