Generic Zigbee RGBW is rejected by Google Home

There are already several topics around this issue but from what I've understood, Google Home should accept lights of this device type but just does not support the color wheel. In some topics, a device-specific RGBW driver was changed to a Generic Zigbee RGBW driver and everything worked!?

E.g here

In my experience this is what happens when I try to add a light of type Generic Zigbee RGBW into Google Home:

• add the device into Hubitat's Google Home apps list of devices for Google Home integration
  • go to Google Home Android app, select the new device, hit Authorize and wait a moment -> Google Home app does not allow you to configure the new device since it's rejected
  • Hubitat logs show a warning: The following devices are not supported by Google Home and will be removed from your device list:[xxxx]
  • the device is removed from the Google Home integration app's list of devices

If I add the device as a Generic Zigbee Dimmer, everything works fine. But if I later go and change the device back to Generic Zigbee RGBW - to control the color temperature from Hubitat - the device is again dropped from Google Home. I also tried re-adding this device to Hubitat before integrating with Google Home but no change.

I am on platform version: 2.3.6.146 and there do not seem to be any pending updates for any apps. The data section for this device says:

* endpointId: **01**
* application: **40**
* inClusters: **0003,0004,0005,0006,1000,0008,0300,EF00,0000**
* manufacturer: **_TZB210_lmqquxus**
* model: **TS0502B**
* outClusters: **0019,000A**
* softwareBuild:

Again, grateful for the help of this community!

EDIT: Setting the device to Generic Zigbee RGB (no W) Light does not seem to work either.

Have you run a "Set Color" and "Set Color Temperature" command at least once each on the device so all the expected attributes are fully populated? (Assuming you driver works for the device and these set and report as expected.) This is a common problem and the solution for that particular issue.

Share the "Current States" section from the device detail page if you are not sure.

I most likely had but to be sure I set the color and color temperature, and re-added to Google Home but got the same warning in Hubitat logs, and no device was added to Google Home.

This is what the state information says:

• colorMode : CT
  • colorName : Soft White
  • colorTemperature : 4000
  • hue : 6
  • level : 94
  • switch : on

But now that you mentioned this requirement of parameter data and Set Color, I came to think that the light is not an RGB light but an LED strip with an adjustable white color spectrum. I have always used this driver since it offered me the UI to adjust color temperature and I had not realized there was a better alternative as I thought the Bulb drivers were only for on/off devices.

Going through the list of possible drivers again, I could find two that I had not tried before:

Advanced Zigbee CT Bulb
Generic Zigbee CT Bulb (dev)

I tried the Advanced version but I could not adjust the color temperature from within Hubitat. Using the Generic driver everything worked from within Hubitat and ... voilà! also Google Home was happy!

This case seems to be solved but a couple of comments/takeaways:

• Dimmers, Bulbs, and Lights: I wonder if there could be a more uniform device type naming convention?
  • Surprising to see that the Generic Zigbee CT Bulb -driver is in the dev -stage.
  • Although Hubitat can use a driver with attributes the device does not actually support - adding that device to Google Home will likely fail?

All in all, appreciate your support!!

Yeah, the "bulb" and "light" drivers are both suitable for lightstrips, besides smart bulbs (where some of the names probably came from given their popularity) and similar products.

Your "Current States" was missing at least the "saturation" attribute, which is probably one that makes Google Home unhappy. This will only be found on color devices. (It's actually mysterious where "hue" came from given that this is also only for color, but at least that was there...)

The "CT" drivers are appropriate for a shades-of-white (color temperature) only device. The "Generic" driver should work for most, but the "Advanced" works for some. Glad you figured something out!

2 Likes