Energy monitoring for the GE Zigbee Smart Switch Plug-In Outlet

I have several of these GE plug in outlets. According to the manual and it says right on the outside of the box, it has energy monitoring capability.

I can't find a driver that will show energy usage, power usage yes, but not energy usage.

Is there a driver that would allow me to see energy usage for these outlets?

Just a word to the wise, they might consider what you've managed to get so far as energy monitoring but you'll probably need to talk to someone more knowledgeable about GE stuff.

I've found manufacturers have a varied relationship with the concept of truth...

Could be, but the manual says it reports watts and kWh.

Can you post the Device Details data, as seen on the HE Devi web page β€˜Data’ section?

Sure. I also posted the section of the manual that says it reports energy usage.

1 Like

You can try using Jonathan's driver here, although it has been written for the Third Reality plug, I expect it will work with the GE plugs as well. This driver calculates the energy, based on the power reporting and the time.

You could also try the Tuya driver, although it is aimed to work with these plugs that need polling.

Its possible since my driver is simply adhering to the published Zigbee specs including reading the attributes that are meant to have things like how to divide the values. Nothing custom or hard coded for Third Reality or using any private clusters.

2 Likes

Doesn't seem to work. I can turn the plug on and off but power will not update.

I think I see why, it uses a different cluster to report energy, it is using the Metering cluster instead of the electrical measurement cluster. The metering cluster is described as: "provides a mechanism to retrieve usage information from Electric, Gas, Water, and potentially Thermal metering devices" which doesn't exactly describe plugs but has similar characteristics.

1 Like

You may need to make it optional - use the metering cluster for these plugs, which reports the energy, or use the existing method to calculate the energy for these plugs, that report only the power momentary consumption.

The Tuya driver become as complicated as this :

(the last two options are hidden, I didn't had the time to complete it _

And there is even a 6-th variant : some new Tuya plugs are reporting the energy not accumulated, but incrementally, i.e. the difference between the measured energy between two successful transmissions to the Zigbee hub (these weird devices need acknowledgment of the reception of the report). It becomes really difficult to support all different variations... : (

Don't know how I missed the thread but I found this driver and it seems to work. The current energy being reported from the plug seems about right. I reset and moved it to my C8 a couple of days ago and it currently shows 1.6kWh. Its running at a constant 28 watts so it should change at about .6 kWh /day. So I will see if it updates over the next 24 hours.

did you try the GE Zigbee Switch driver?
Also what driver did the device join with?

Yes I still have two of these plugs connected to my C7 that I plan to move over to the C8. They are both using the GE Zigbee switch, neither is reporting energy.

We are in the process of re-doing our kitchen. I was using these plugs to turn on the LED light strips I mounted under the cabinets. We now have more permanent wired lighting, so I have these plugs to use elsewhere. I did not care about energy when I installed these and never really thought about it. I didn't even really pay attention to what driver they were using. The two on the C7, and I am pretty when I paired the one to the C8, they paired using the GE Zigbee switch driver.

I saw you posted in that thread I linked to so I figured the HE driver would have worked, doesn't seem to though.

[edit]Disreguard this for now. I was playing with a couple of switches at home and I think I actually replaced the switch I am looking at with a Iris V2 plug. I am not at home right now so I can't look at it. I will need to look at this tonight.

ah, i thought we were talking about the inwall switch, not the plugin module.

So the driver I posted does work for these Zigbee wall plugs, they do report energy. I also found that with this driver my Iris V2 wall plugs also report energy. I didn't know they did that.

1 Like

I switched one of my Iris v2 plugs to the driver you linked to, and after turning on all the preferences, I do see that it is reporting energy. But it no longer seems to be reporting power or voltage (which it did using this driver).

Voltage I don't know about, as I never really look at that, but mine is still reporting power. I believe the default for this driver is to disable power reporting, so you will need to enable it.

[quote="terminal3, post:17, topic:115608"]
I believe the default for this driver is to disable power reporting, so you will need to enable it.[/quote]

I did (it defaulted to both energy and power off).

The plug I'm running this on is:

• firmwareMT: 104E-0022-20115010
  • manufacturer: CentraLite
  • model: 3210-L
  • softwareBuild: 20115010

You are right it is not. I was sure I had seen power updating but after you posted I looked at a plug and it was stuck at the last value it has reported and not been updating.

I started playing with the driver and I have a preliminary version that seems to get the power working. I have been jumping back and forth between this driver and a Iris smart plug driver I have and I am starting to understand a little about what is going on. I will look at voltage reporting as well and I will let you know if I get that working.

1 Like

Do you mean srwrite's Iris driver at [RELEASE] Enhanced Smart Plug Driver?