GE/Jasco Z-Wave Switches are frustrating!

I am having the same problem. I had no problems resetting other items. Fortunately, I only have 2 but they are important since the control the lights at each entry.

FWIW,
I have 17 Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers. I installed the dimmers and switches into their final locations and made sure they worked manually. I chose what felt like a central location for the hub and started it up. I went to each device starting with the closest to the hub. Using the HE mobile app, I started the Z-Wave inclusion on the hub and followed the Jasco instructions to put the device in the include mode. As I paired each device I did a simple on/off test from the hub to make sure they were communicating before moving on to the next.

The house is not large (single floor, about 2000 sqft) so maybe in a more spread out environment I might have had to move the hub closer to the device to pair. As always, YMMV

What was the secondary router plugged into? Or was it connected via wireless to the network?

For the few very distant awitches I have either used zigbee or older be zwave pkys that don't try to.pair s2

You have to do it very fast. The blue LED will blink 5 times and the dimmer or switch will turn off. Usually three on top then three on the bottom and the wit to see if the LED blinks. It took be several tries for each switch. If that happen leave it off. Start inclusion first. It will appear as a generic Z-Wave switch. You do not need to have the hub itself in exclusion mode for the first part. It will not appear. Look for the blinking blue LED then you are ready to include it. I also had my old hub unplugged while adding the GE switch which was not required with other devices. I still could not get my Evolve dimmer to work. I might have have to replace it with an extra Caseta dimmer that did not work for a place where the load was too low for it.

I got my 14291 to reset. It took several tries. Do it quickly then wait. The blue LED will flash if done right. It will then turn off, leave it off. Start inclusion, turn on the switch. It shoudl find it pretty quick. Name it ans save it.

I have always been able to reset Jasco/GE switches by pressing the "up" (on?) part of the switch or dimmer ten times quickly.

That would not work with mine. I did it as listed. I think it was three fast ones on the upper "on" part,

Maybe "on paper" you should have them in the final location when pairing, but I'm telling you it doesn't always work - I DONT CARE what the Z-wave specification says.
I have 2 hubs in 2 different physical location, both came from a rooted winkhub setup which worked absolutely fantastic for years.
Yes, these switches are frustrating, but so is the Hubitat which in some cases is unstable. I've tried incessantly to exclude/pair and it didn't work. Then all of a sudden I reboot the hub and it magically works (seems for the first couple pairings?) I cant notice a pattern. This was all last year (2019).
Again this year late 2020, I had a switch die with the blink of death. Replaced it and went through the same aggrivation with the unstable Hubitat not pairing. Tried my reboot trick. Then I noticed a new firmware and updated. Wham, all of a sudden it pairs. I'm holding hope this new firmware 2.2.4.148 is more stable than 2.2.3.148. Yes, the GE switches are a pain, but this Hubitat is NOT without it's faults either.
To those with pairing trouble, try to get off firmware 2.2.3.148 or lower if you are on it by upgrading, and/or try a fresh reboot then do an immediate pairing.
Good luck!

off topic edit: Why does this hub STILL not have native MQTT client support built right in?

2 Likes

I've paired 144 GE dimmers and switches this summer (2 physical locations), and did 100% of them in place. :man_shrugging:

I believe you that it didn't work for you. Can't explain why though.

It has always worked for me with ge/jasco zwave plus devices. And that's on Hubitat, SmartThings, homeseer, zwave2mqtt, etc, that I've used them on.

Well good for you - consider yourself lucky because for me that's all it is. Mine are not Zwave plus, they are 12724/ze3005. Admittedly they were finicky with Wink, but they worked paired ALOT better than what they do with Hubitat. I spent 2 hours getting this junk to pair when it worked almost always 1st time with Wink.

Well that's completely different, now isn't it. :slight_smile: Pairing zwave non-plus in place completely depends on whether the device, and all the other devices in the route from device to hub, support network wide inclusion. If not, then if the device is too far to reach the hub directly you HAVE TO pair close to the hub and do a repair after putting it in its final place.

After dealing with GE/Jasco on Universal Devices, ST, and now HE, I will never buy a GE/Jasco again. My money will go to Zooz when sales happen. You can have several of the same product ID and they all act different.

2 Likes

I had no choice on the GE. When I bough those, they were the only brand that had the option of brown faceplates. And I wanted both locations to have the same thing, same same same.

Actually, the place it was was in the utility room RIGHT NEXT to the Hubitat. I had NO EXCUSE to not work! Literally 5 feet away in a plastic box. I didn't even put it completely in the box, not that it matters because the antenna is wrapped around the faceplate. I spent over an hour working on this junk.

Yup, that's annoying. I had so little luck with non-plus zwave - of any manufacturer, on any hub - I replaced every device with plus ones. :wink:

same here other than a few devices...

an aeon multi 6 ver 5 (the newer version was even chattier and lower range for motion)

one zwave fan in the office (partially behind a bookshelf and hard to get to and the only automation is when ac comes on so just do a refresh in that rule)

minimotes (nothing real similiar in size and fx)

st814 temp sensors .. nothing similiarly rated for cold weather to go into freezers and as good battery life

I have about 50 of the non zw plus switches in my home. They were rock solid with SmartThings. I've also had trouble with hubitat pairing/keeping connected. Using the polling app helped, replacing a few with zw plus helped.. but, I think the Hubitat zwave stack just isn't as robust as others, yet..

I had no issues moving from ST to HE w/my older GE/Jasco switches...they have been rock solid and haven't ever lost connectivity once paired to Hubitat.

My HE hub is a little farther away from most of my non-plus switches than my ST hub was, but everything w/my older switches has been fine for me. They just work.

1 Like

This! Unreal... I tried reset my GE Outdoor Smart Switch 15 times before googling in frustration. I tried holding the button so many different ways while plugging, unplugging etc. Finally found this tip to use "exclusion mode". In the SmartThings app, I opened my hub device, selected "Z-Wave Utilities" from the 3-dot menu, and then selected "Z-Wave exclusion". As soon as I pressed the on/off switch, SmartThings told me "Device excluded". Wanted to write this up in case anyone else got in this jam. I assume I had factory reset the switch on one of my first tries, but since it had previously been paired with this hub, it refused to "see" my outlet.