Garage Door Status on my Dashboard - Newbie question

Hi Hubitat community...
Please forgive this newbie question (another Wink convert) as I bet this has been asked and answered before, I've searched the community but didn't find a clear answer.
I want to show garage door status on my dashboard. I don't really need to open/close from the dashboard, just show if it's open or closed.
I have a Chamberlain MyQ opener, connected to the MyQ app, and have installed the MyQ app in my Hubitat, but it doesn't seem to know status.

1. Am I correct that the Hubitat MyQ app wont show door status in a dashboard? Or am I missing something?
  2. Do I need a door sensor to do what I want?
  3. If so, is there a simple, inexpensive one that is recommended?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. Chamberlain does not expose the state of its door sensor to others. You have to add a contact sensor. I use an Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 on my MyQ-Lite Hubitat app.

Here is a post of mine in another thread showing ways that others have mounted their garage door sensors, and giving suggestions for other sensors.

1 Like

@672southmain -
Much appreciated! I knew others have gone where I want to go have figure this out before me. Very grateful for your wisdom.
Is there a benefit to using a contact sensor instead of one of the many tilt sensors that I see in use?
Thanks,
Ken C

No benefit. Most tilt sensors are Zigbee, everything I have is Z-Wave. Many people have used the SmartThings MultiSensor as a tilt sensor for this purpose. Using a tilt sensor lets you mount it on a garage door panel. Using a contact sensor lets you mount it on the side, if you can deal with the clearances for the track. That’s what gave me the biggest problem, I had to craft a wood block mounting with cutouts to hold the sensor alongside the track.

Only benefit I can see for a contact sensor is that it lets you know when the door is in fully closed position. A tilt sensor will only change once it gets tilted from vertical, might give wrong results if someone pried the door open enough to crawl under.

1 Like

I have an Ecolink door (tilt) sensor and found it to be very reliable.

I did however change the very good mechanical tilt switch for a mercury switch. Mostly because I had some mercury switches.

1 Like

Thanks gentlemen... great advice.
Much appreciated.
Merry Christmas

1 Like

I as well have been using the Ecolink Door tilt sensor for years and its been rock solid at reporting status. I use this in conjunction with the MyQ app and my craftsman assurelink wireless connection to the garage door opener.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.