Garage Door Rule

As best as I can tell from the manual (warning: PDF), you're good!

Thanks for looking into this!

I assume you are looking at page 24?

How do I know which wires to put to the relay? 4 wires at the opener and 2 at the switch?

Regardless I assume the rest is the same- two white wires into the R1 on the ZOOZ and then from the SW1 back to the wires that were disconnected?

1 Like

And 23.

You will need to connect to terminals 1 & 2 only. 3 & 4 go to the safe-t-beam (page 23).

1 Like

thanks for the help @aaiyar.

@jsc, on the motor will be 4 contacts (as you showed). 2 will be for the switch and 2 will be for the safety sensors. In my case, I have a Security 2.0+ motor and needed to get a Security 2.0+ switch to bypass that security.

With the help from @aaiyar, you would connect into 1 and 2. Test it first with a jumper wire and ensure the garage will work if you connect these contacts. If it does with no issues, then you can connect the COM and NO contacts of the relay to these contacts. When you trigger the relay, it'll close this contact and open/close your garage.

I'd definitely recommend teaming this up with a contact sensor so you can know the true state of the door

2 Likes

Yup. Or tilt sensor. I made a tilt sensor out of an old GoControl contact sensor so I didn't need to bother with the magnet.

Is that a tilt ball sensor? I have a GoControl contact sensor I was planning on using, I could look to use those external contacts with a tilt sensor instead of trying to mount the magnets up

Yup it is. PM me your address and Iā€™ll put a couple in the mail for you. I bought a few and needed just one.

Thanks. Actually, Iā€™ve had a window/door sensor on it for a while. It was way easier to figure out the status and get notifications if it was left open.

Actually smartening the door required more work/research.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

What gauge wire do I need? (Nothing in the house)

Think I read 16 somewhere

Gauge from the ZEN16 to the opener? I had leftover thermostat wire (18 ga), so that's what I used.

Since youā€™ve done a wide variety of DIY projects. What gauge would be most versatile? Donā€™t need 10ft of 16 gauge if this is the only one it will work for.

And yes I think Zooz recommendation was 16 gauge

Then I would use 16 gauge.

Because they recommended it or because itā€™s versatile? If not that versatile Iā€™ll look for less than 10feet...

Oh - because they recommended it for sure. I'm not using a Zen16. I'm using an zigbee outlet wired to a dry contact relay. And I use a driver that turns the outlet off 150 ms after it is turned on ....

I don't see a wire gauge recommendation for doors in their online instructions. They say "bell wire" in their diagram. Most doorbell wire is 20 gauge. I do see specific gauge for other things like lights though.

For this tiny signal, unless you are running long distance, ordinary thermostat or doorbell wire should be fine.

A roll of bell wire or thermostat is dirt cheap (About $10 for 50 feet), but if you are worried about waste, most Home Depot (and I think Lowes) sell this by the foot.

Good evening. @aaiyar could you explain how you set up your contact sensor as a tilt sensor, please? I have a few Gocontrol window/door sensors lying around. I was going to use the door hinge trick as my door status sensor, but love to have other options. Thanks.

I connected a tilt switch to the external contacts in the GoControl contact sensor. Works really well.

Here's a link to what it looks like:

Edit: tilt switches are cheap. I think I got 10 for $5 or $6.

1 Like

Garage switch wire is typically 22 gauge. I took an old cat5 cable (24 gauge), double up a pair and used that

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like