Garage door opener

More good news about Tailwind then just the new lower price is I see they also released support for SmartThings today. So hopefully Hubitat support should be pretty easy to add now as well.

Over the past couple of years I have had two Go-Linear fail on me in the exact same way in that it stopped communicating with the hub. They both lasted approximately one year before the failure occurred.

I really like the functionality of the product and have no complaints except it wasn’t a robust and reliable product for me. When my garage door opener finally bit the dust last month I ended up going with one that had MyQ built-in with a motion sensor to turn on the light and auto-close the door.

I do not experience any significant delays on MyQ status as you described.

I just had my 1994-ish Chamberlain chaindrive rebuilt (bad capstan gear). I have the usual master control switch, a couple of remotes, and the usual doorbell-style pushbutton like @april.brandt posted upstream. I'm going to add @aaiyar's Peanut-based momentary contact in parallel with the pushbutton. The relay just arrived today.

1 Like

This works great. WAF is high as this allows door operation even if the remotes are blocked or forgotten. The only 'modification' was to connect another pair of wires to the existing pushbutton. About 90 minutes, start to finish.

2 Likes

Revive an old discussion????

Everyone still liking the Linear / Go Control options? OR are we leaning more toward the the DIY style?

I was originally looking at a Chamberlain Smart Opener, but if there are better more reliable options I would like to go that way.... Thoughts????

My parents have a MYQ and it sometimes takes up to 30 minutes to notify him that the garage door is open. I went with @aaiyar momentary switch and relay solution. I have a 97 garage door opener with a chain drive. Chamberlain, and it is rock solid. It was super easy to automate, but I used an iris plug instead of a peanut. I like that the button is still usable as I haven't really set up any rules to automate it other than pushing the dashboard button or asking alexa to open it. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it automated as I want to make sure that my garage door isn't opening at 2am or something from a false read. This solution was much cheaper than purchasing a linear. The relay cost me 12$. I had the plug. In respect it was about 10$ and contact sensors are abundant at my house. So probably 30$ for all the parts if I had to purchase them for this project.

1 Like

@april.brandt - Relays would be new to me, you or @aaiyar have a tutorial for this?

This is the one that @aaiyar advised me to buy. It worked very well for my application and you can turn it off if you need to. I like it. It's "safe" for me because I know nothing about relays either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Originally recommended by @jon1

@Dauntless4rcher - check this thread out for several examples of momentary switches being used to control a GDO:

1 Like

If you are going the relay route, take a look at the Zooz Zen16. Same concept, but more compact, built in zwave plus small clean form factor and a good price. I had the relay setup at first and switched over to this to clean it all up when it came out.

2 Likes

And it can control up to 3 doors.

2 Likes

IF.... IF i decide to go with the Chamberlain, its on sale for $35 right now....

Is there currently no support for it within the HE? would it be strictly attached to Google Assistant instead?

And, if I go this route, could I also wire the DIY Relay options and keep both methods active????

There is a community integration for the MyQ. It requires a sensor (contact or tilt) that is directly paired to Hubitat.

I was going to write a reply but about to get ninja'd....so figured I would get a word in before the next two reply.

1 Like

I would stay away from any device that required cloud access to function. $35 may appeal today, but in the longer term, you will be disappointed. If the DIY method doesn't appeal, save your pennies a little longer.

2 Likes

Especially with the number of cloud services that have announced they are shutting down recently.

I'm starting to avoid anything cloud related in my purchases.

3 Likes

:point_up:
100% that! For one .. look at what's happening with lightify. If you're not sure about the integration, I'm absolutely positive that someone will help walk you through it here. I was scared to hook up those wires not knowing what they were for, but it proved to be pretty easy with the relay and plug. Just pay attention and work slowly.

1 Like

We were all waiting for the pictures of your hair when you got zapped. :wink:

Edit: apologies. I would not wish you or anyone to get zapped.

1 Like

I have the MyQ, and overall it is OK. I did have a hardware failure with it, and they were very good about replacing it under warranty.

For $35, it isn't too bad, but if you factor in that you really need a second tilt sensor for $30 or so, and it is cloud dependent, I don't think I would go this route again.

If I were to do things again, I would use a Zigbee or Z-wave device that will be locally controlled. I have no experience with that particular Zooz device above, but I have quite a few Zooz devices and I am generally happy with them. There is also the DIY version of it in those threads mentioned above if you are more of the DIY type, but I don't see how it could be cheaper than the Zooz device that is all ready to go...

1 Like

I made my hubs do it. He sports a buzz cut!
:laughing:

Low voltage .. it wouldn't really hurt that bad .. would it?
:thinking:

2 Likes