Garage Door - Cheap Option?

We highly recommend purchasing the cable online given the situation. A simple USB C cable (something like this for example), not branded for any particular electronics brand will be just fine.

1 Like

I use a Sylvania zigbee outlet connected to a 12v wall wart connected to the cheapest relay I could find - the relay connects to my gate's pushbutton inputs using cheap speaker cable.

A two pack of the relays cost me $7 on Amazon ( HiLetgo 2pcs DC 12V 2 Channel Relay Module) while the outlet cost ~$16, and the wall wart was 4 for 12 bucks or something that I bought years ago.

I used to have this same setup but with a zwave switch, but zwave range and response time has been wonky for me .

I'm a big fan of Anker cables. Great cables and great customer service. Had a cable from them "die" after only a few weeks, they sent a replacement. Next one died after 2 weeks, this time they sent me the next "model" up instead. I get an email a couple of weeks later saying they've pulled that product and aren't selling it anymore and thanking me for helping them out by reporting my troubles. The kind of thing you'd expect from a big-ticket purchase like a car or something. Great company.

But any cable that supports "quick charge" or "fast charge" should be robust enough and have large enough gauge wires to power the device we've been discussing.

1 Like

Will this work then? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Studio-by-Belkin-Metallic-Black-5ft-2-0-USB-C-to-USB-A-Cable/473056282

From the product specs:

Handles up to 3A so 1A should definitely work.

1 Like

@techbill

Just want to point out that this module can be powered by 12-24 V AC/DC. So it can be powered directly from the garage door opener .....

@agnes.zooz

Is my reading of the manual correct?

Yes that should work just fine!

Yes, you can power the module by 12-24 V AC / DC (never use these terminals and USB power together though!) but I don't think standard openers actually have an output for 12-24 V.

2 Likes

How would you power it off the garage door?

@jercloud @agnes.zooz

Here's what the back of my garage door opener looks like (contacts 1, 2, and 3)

When the door is open light is on, I get 16.3V DC between 1 & 2

When the door is closed light is off, I get 17.3 VDC between 1 & 2

I have powered other low amp draw devices off those contacts in the past .....

Edit:
BTW, I should mention that my garage door opener is a 2005 AccessMaster (builder's series from Liftmaster), and I know that other Chamberlain and Liftmaster openers have similar contacts available (except they're push contacts and not screw terminals).

2 Likes

Ohhh yea, you obviously need power for the garage door safety sensors!!! Wasn't thinking of that.

This is so much cleaner than rigging an extra outlet and USB cable. I have a new project!

Thanks!

One thing to remember is this is not a constant power supply. The voltage fluctuates and in the moment you press the wall switch, it disappears altogether which is not ideal if you're using the ZEN16 as part of your mesh. So while possible, we wouldn't recommend this solution.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I've never really thought much about Garage Door openers til now.

Sucks cause my garage has a high ceiling. I just moved here 2 years ago but they just routed an extension core from ceiling outlet. So i have to put a splitter at the end of it. So bit it.

Is there a reason why I can't use a standard 1A 5v Apple iPhone plug? I just received my Zooz today and I'm excited to wire it up and get things working.

i know someone from zooz is listening here. i have one of these relays and it doesnt work correctly.
was working and after reboot of hub doesnt work unless i climb up the latter and reboot it..
"It will not answer to repair requests and itself is not initing a repair when there are two good 3 good repeaters right in the garage with it that are woorking find..
a zooz switch a gd-00z8 garage opener and another..
Garage Relay Parent2020-10-15 20:40:16.509 seqNo: 140, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 1ms, repeaters: [46, 15], speed: 40 kbs, rssi: [N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A], Ack channel: 1, Transmit channel: 1

Garage Relay Parent2020-10-15 20:39:30.772 seqNo: 140, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 1ms, repeaters: [46, 15], speed: 40 kbs

Garage Relay Parent

is there a firmware update i can get to fix this before i rip it out and put another gd-00z-8 in its place?

• deviceType: 40960
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x6C,0x55,0x9F
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 01 04 10 01 5E 6C 55 9F 68 23 F1 00 86 25 85 5C 8E 59 72 5A 73 60 70 7A
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x25,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x72,0x5A,0x73,0x60,0x70,0x7A
  • firmwareVersion: 1.02
  • deviceId: 40970
  • S2: 1
  • manufacturer: 634

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.