Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)

Get Started

What is a Hubitat Account?

A Hubitat account is required in order to register your hub(s) to use the Hubitat Mobile app and cloud services.

How do I create a Hubitat Account?

When you go through the initial setup of your hub you are prompted to create an account. Since an account is not required to use your hub you may opt to skip this step. If you later decide to use cloud services, you can create an account anytime on the following page: My Hubitat

How do I register my hub?

When you go through the initial setup of your hub you will be prompted to create an account and register your hub. If you skip this step during setup you can still register your hub by connecting to the hub and selecting Register Hub card.

Why do I have an alert to register the hub when it’s already registered?

If you have not done so already, go to Settings, then select Hub Reboot.

Why can't I log into My Account?

The most common reason for not being able to log into my.hubitat.com is that the email address is incorrect. The email address field is case sensitive and must be entered in lower case letters only.

How do I change the admin account?

Log into my.hubitat.com with your current admin account and select Registered Hub then select Hub Details. On the Hub Details you will see a place where you can Replace existing Admin with a different Hubitat user. Be sure to create a Hubitat Account for your new email by visiting the following page: My Hubitat

How do I change the password for my account?

Log into my.hubitat.com with your current admin account and select the Change account password tile, then follow the on screen instructions to reset the password. This is the password for the account used to log into the Mobile Apps, community and my.hubitat.com. If you are looking to change the password for the hub login (Hub Login Security), see the following community post to learn how to manage the secure login option: I locked myself out of the web interface

Why isn’t the hub listed in Registered Hubs on my.hubitat.com?

Make sure that hub is connected to the cloud. If it is, select Settings and then select Reboot Hub.

My hub shows a permanent blue light, now what?

Try performing a factory reset by following the following steps while you are on the local network:

• Go to http://192.168.X.XX:8081/factory/recovery and select Start Factory Recovery. Then select confirm.

• Go to http://192.168.X.XX:8081/ and select Download Latest Version. Then select confirm.

• Go to http://192.168.X.XX:8081/setup and wait until it says You will be automatically redirected to your Hubitat Elevation.

• Unplug the hub from the wall outlet, wait 15 seconds, then plug it in again.

• NOTE: replace 192.168.X.XX IP with actual IP address of your new hub as assigned by your router.

Hub Settings

How do I rename my hub?

You can rename your hub by changing the location name in the Hubitat Elevation hub's interface:

1. Connect to the hub.

2. Select Settings on the left menu.

3. Select Hub Details.

4. Enter a new name in the Hub name field.

5. Select Save settings.

How do I transfer data from one hub to another?

Connect to your old hub then go to Settings and select Backup and Restore. Under the Create New Backup and Download Locally section select Download which saves a backup locally. Next, connect to the new hub and go to Backup and Restore and select Choose File to restore the backup that was saved in the previous step.

For Hub Protect subscribers, a cloud backup is available to be restored from a non-functional hub by selecting Migrate on the Backup and Restore page.

I updated my hub and now nothing works. What should I do?

First, go to Settings, then select Reboot hub. Most problems can be resolved by simply restarting the hub. If that doesn’t resolve the problem, try to perform a Soft Reset by following this document: Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation. If the problem persists, visit the Diagnostic Tool and Restore Previous Version to confirm that the problem is related to the last update.

I can’t update my hub. Why?

Make sure that the hub is connected to the cloud and there is a stable internet connection. You could also adjust the hub's Ethernet speed by selecting Settings on the left menu, then Network Setup. On the Networking page, set the Ethernet speed to the the option that is not used, then click update, and try to download the latest version again.

How do I reset my hub?

In order to reset the hub, please follow instructions in the following document: Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation

Why isn’t Hub Mesh discovering additional hubs?

First, make sure that hubs are connected to the same network segment (subnet). If they are, changing the communication protocol may help. To do this, connect to your hub, then select Settings, and then Hub Mesh. Under Communication protocol select TCP, then reboot the hub. Perform the same procedure on all hubs.

Why is the time on my hub wrong?

Over time, the hub’s internal clock may drift away. To remedy this problem, connect to hub, then go to Settings and select Hub Details and then select the button under Current Hub Time (as of last page load) section.

Hub Management

What do I do if I don’t see any apps and drivers?

This might happen after a Soft Reset was performed and a backup was not restored when prompted on the Get Started page. To recover the apps and drivers, follow these steps:

1. Connect to hub.

2. Select Settings on the left menu.

3. Select Backup and Restore.

4. If a local backup is available, then select Choose File.

5. Select Restore File.

If a local backup was not saved, you can select any of the local backups saved on the hub by selecting Restore next to the file that you'd like to load on the hub.

Why is some text overlapping on various pages in the hub web interface?

It is possible that you are using an unsupported browser. For best experience we recommend Google Chrome, but also support Safari, Firefox and the new Microsoft Edge. If you are using a supported browser, make sure that the screen reader option has not been enabled by accident. To confirm, go to Settings, and ensure that Enable screen reader for visually impaired access is off (gray).

Why is the hub unresponsive?

If you have not done so already, unplug the power cord from the wall, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait for your hub to reboot. If that does not resolve your problem, try performing a Soft Reset by following instructions in the document below:

Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation

If the problem persists, and you have any custom code installed on your hub, try rebooting the hub in Safe Mode from the Diagnostic Tool. Once the hub has rebooted, disable your apps or drivers one at a time to identify which caused the problem.

To access the Diagnostic Tool, follow instructions in the document below:

Hubitat Diagnostic Tool - Hubitat Documentation

To disable an app or a driver, see Disable Device Drivers and Disable Apps sub-headings in the following documents:

Why is my hub only working for a short period of time after performing a Soft Reset?

Sometimes an additional Soft Reset can restore your hub to optimal performance. Perform a Soft Reset again by following the document below: Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation.

If the problem persists and you have any custom code installed on your hub, you may want to reboot the hub in Safe Mode from the Diagnostic Tool. Then disable your apps or drivers to identify which of them is causing the problem.

To access the Diagnostic Tool, please follow the instructions in the document below:

Hubitat Diagnostic Tool - Hubitat Documentation

To disable an app or a driver, please see Disable Device Drivers and Disable Apps sub-heading in the following documents:

Devices - Hubitat Documentation

Apps - Hubitat Documentation

My hub says that it has low memory. What does this mean?

First, you want to review the tabs on the Logs page to learn more about what is consuming your hub’s resources. If your hub is experiencing performance issues, or you are unable to connect to the hub, then performing a Soft Reset by following instructions in the document below may help:

Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation

Why isn't my hub running any schedules?

The internal scheduler can be interrupted by issues with hub’s database. Generally, rebooting the hub from Settings may help resolve the problem. If the problem persists, a Soft Reset may be required by following instructions in the document below:

Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation.

Devices

What devices can I use with Hubitat?

Virtually any Z-Wave and Zigbee device can be connected to the hub. For a complete list of tested devices, see the following document: List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation

What if my My device is not in the List of Compatible devices?

If your device is not on the list of compatible devices, you can visit our online community to see if others have successfully added your device. If your device is a network or Wi-Fi device such as Alexa, Google Home or Lutron, it must be added using an integration app, which can be found in the Apps section. Select Add Built-in App button to view all available integration apps.

Why are my devices not working after restoring a backup?

The backup restores apps, integrations, hub settings and custom code. This means if you restore a local backup, your devices will need to be re-paired (Zigbee) and re-included (Z-Wave). If you are a current Hub Protect subscriber, you could be able to restore both Z-Wave and Zigbee* devices from a cloud backup. Seamless Zigbee migration is only available on the latest C-8 Hubitat Elevation hub.

Why are My Z-Wave devices slow, unresponsive or stopped working?

This is often caused by a mix of encrypted devices that are unable to properly communicate with the hub, and one or more devices that report frequently.

To identify which devices are encrypted, go to Settings, then select Z-Wave Details. In the Z-Wave Radio Devices table, look at the Security column. Any devices listed with S2 or S0 are encrypted devices. Having a mix of different encryptions along with non-encrypted devices can cause Z-Wave latency. For best hub performance, we recommend not including devices with any secure options (other than locks and garage doors, which are required).

Regarding the frequently reporting devices, consider adjusting the reporting levels to generate fewer events. This option is generally available in the driver's settings on the Device Details page. To better understand how these devices may impact your Z-Wave mesh, see the following article: Dos and Don'ts of Z-Wave Power Reporting .

How do I remove Z-Wave ghosts?

In order to remove failed nodes, please go to the Z-Wave Details page, then select the Refresh button for the node you'd like to remove. After the page reloads, then select Remove. Note that you may need to repeat the procedure several times for the Remove button to appear.

Why do my Z-Wave or Zigbee devices frequently stop working, even though my Wi-Fi network is very strong?

Both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices are mesh networks that are independent of Wi-Fi. To strengthen these networks, mains-powered devices must be connected to the hub. To learn more about how to build strong networks, see the following documents:

Why is my newly added device missing features that I know it has?

When adding a device, the hub attempts to match the device capabilities with known drivers. Sometimes, the firmware on the device may have changed, and the hub may assign an incorrect driver. To solve this problem, access the Device Details page (from Settings select Devices, then select the newly added device) and change the driver Type to the correct driver from the pull down menu. Once you save the new driver, don't forget to select Configure button at the top of the page.

Why am I unable to link Amazon Echo Skill/Google Home?

The most common issue when linking Amazon Echo Skill/Google Home integrations is when the account is entered incorrectly. The email address field is case sensitive and must be entered in lower case letters only.

Can I control my device through Alexa/Google/Siri if I connect the device to Hubitat Elevation hub?

Yes, but not all devices are compatible with all voice assistants, and Hubitat Elevation does not support Siri at the moment. For devices that can be controlled via Alexa, see this document:

Amazon Echo Skill - Hubitat Documentation

For Google Home see this document:

Google Home - Hubitat Documentation

Can I change the order in which devices are displayed in the user interface - E.G. locks in Lock Code Manager to be displayed in alphabetical order?

No, the order cannot be changed.

Networking

Why am I seeing alerts that the hub is not connected to the cloud?

First, make sure that the router's firewall doesn’t block the hub's access to the internet. This could happen if the router was recently updated and new default firewall policies have been applied as result of the update. If the access is not blocked, check to make sure that internal hub's time did not drift off. To update the internal time, connect to hub then select Settings on the left menu, and then select Hub Details. On the Hub Details page, select Update Time from Browser. Lastly, if you recently experienced a corrupted database, your hub may have a secondary database that is using unnecessary space on your hub. To remove the additional database, go to the following path on your local network :yourHubID:8081/deleteDatabaseTraceFiles. Replace *yourHubID with actual IP address.

Why am I seeing alerts that the hub detected frequent network drops?

This is usually indicative of a network problem that can be caused by misconfigured network settings or a hardware malfunction. First, try to change the hub’s Ethernet port settings by connecting to the hub, then select Settings and then Networking. Under the Ethernet speed section, select Fixed 100mbps, then select Update. Next, reboot your hub to see if that resolves your frequent disconnects. Other troubleshooting tips to resolve network issues are:

• Resolving any potential conflicting IP addresses
  • Power cycling the router.

When I try to access my Dashboard locally it says "connection timed out". What should I do?

Ensure that the hub is connected to the cloud.

Why can’t I discover the hub on my network after I changed its IP address?

If you used the hub's networking tools, you may have accidentally blocked the access of your hub to the network due to an incorrect or unknown IP address setting. Please turn the hub over and use the point of a pen to press the small button just beneath the surface of the hub casing for at least 10 seconds.

If the problem persists, here are a few troubleshooting tips that may help resolve the problem:

• Use an alternative device to access the hub (we recommend using a desktop computer)

• Use an alternative browser (we recommend Google Chrome for the best experience)

• Make sure your device is connected to the the same network segment (i.e. same subnet)

• Reboot your router.

• Power cycle your hub by shutting it down from Settings. Then, when the LED on the hub turns red, unplug the power cord from the wall outlet for 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

Why is my hub’s interface slow and unresponsive?

The problem may be related to the network switch that the hub is connected to. Connect to your hub, then select Settings, then Networking. Under the Ethernet speed section, select Fixed 100mbps, then Update, then reboot your hub from Settings.

Why is the hub's IP address different than what my router shows?

The IP address displayed on the Registered Hubs page may be cached. If the IP address of your hub has recently changed, it will be automatically updated on the Registered Hubs page. As long as you can access the hub at the new IP address, the IP address will be updated within next 48 hours.

Why isn’t the hub discovered after it was plugged into the router?

First, try to reset the networking settings on the hub by turning the hub over and using the point of a pen press the small button just beneath the surface of the hub casing for at least 10 seconds.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, you may try the following:

• Use an alternative device to attempt registration (we recommend using a computer for the initial set-up)
  • Use an alternative browser (we recommend Google Chrome for the best experience)
  • Make sure your device is connected to the the same network segment (i.e. same subnet)
  • Reboot your router.
  • Power cycle your hub by shutting it down from Settings, then when the LED on the hub turns red, unplug the power cord from the wall outlet for 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

Subscriptions

What are subscriptions?

Hubitat Elevation offers two services to complement the hub, Hub Protect and Remote Admin. For more details see the following documents:

Do I need a subscription to use the Hub?

No, Hubitat Elevation does not require a subscription. You can control and automate all of your devices right out of the box. Hubitat does off some additional services to complement the hub. For more details on Hubitat Elevation solutions, see this community post: Hubitat solutions explained

Why is my hub asking me to subscribe to the service after I was charged for it?

If this is the first time you are trying to use the service, sometimes the hub needs to be rebooted in order for the subscription to be activated. To do so go to Settings, then select Reboot Hub.

If this is not your first time using the service, make sure that the method of payment on file is not expired and your bank did not reject the payment. To confirm the payment is valid, log into my.hubitat.com then select Subscriptions card and then select Manage Payments.

What should I do when the Remote Admin service stops working?

If your service stopped working after several months and you are subscribed to the monthly service, chances are that your bank may have declined payment or your credit card on file expired. You can check and update the method of payment that is saved on your account by visiting the following page: My Hubitat

If you make a change, allow up to 24 hours for the payment to be processed again.

Mobile Apps

Is there a service to send text messages to my phone?

Hubitat does not have built-in support for text messages, however we do offer a built-in integration with Twilio service. See the following document for more details: Twilio Notification - Hubitat Documentation.

Alternatively, you may want to consider sending push notifications to your mobile device(s) using the Hubitat Mobile app. For more details on creating push notification devices, please check out this document:

How to create new presence and push notification devices - Hubitat Documentation

Why did the push notifications stop working?

Make sure you give your mobile device permission to run the Hubitat Mobile app in the background. In addition verify that notifications are enabled for the Hubitat Mobile app in the phone settings. Make sure that you have selected the correct mobile device on the hub for receiving notifications.

Why isn’t my GeoFence working?

Verify that GeoFence is set to "enabled" in the app settings. Make sure you give your mobile device permission to run the Hubitat Mobile app in the background and that location permissions are set to allow all the time.

Why does the app say that Hubitat® Dashboard is not installed?

In order to display a dashboard on the Dashboard tab, you must first install and create a dashboard. See the following document for more details:

Hubitat® Dashboard - Hubitat Documentation

How can I install the Dashboard in order to see devices on the Dashboard tab?

In order to display a device on the Dashboard tab in the mobile app, first you need to create a Dashboard using the built-in app. For more details on how to install and manage Hubitat Dashboards, see this topic: Hubitat® Dashboard - Hubitat Documentation

What can I do when I cannot claim my hub?

If you are unable to discover your hub through the mobile app make sure your mobile device is on the same network as your hub. If you are unable to claim (register) your hub with the Hubitat Mobile app, we suggest using a web browser to perform the hub registration. We recommend Chrome for best experience, however we also support Safari, Firefox and the new Microsoft Edge based on Chromium.

Community

Are there any community rules?

There are no hard and fast rules, however we ask users to keep our community clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse. For more guidelines, please check out this post:

Community Guidelines

Why can't I upload any pictures?

If you have recently joined our community, it is possible that you have not met the minimum system requirements for the spam protection. The minimum requirements include, but are not limitedto the following:

• browse 5 or more topics.
  • read at least 30 or more posts.
  • spend 10 or more minutes reading posts.

Is it possible to ask questions anonymously?

Yes, users who don't feel comfortable engaging or asking a question, can enable the anonymous mode. When the anonymous mode is enabled, a new account is created each time, so that other users, moderators and even admins, don’t have visibility of who the user is.

To enable the anonymous mode select Preferences in the upper right menu, then select Enter Anonymous Mode

Enter_Anonym

To disable the anonymous mode select Preferences in the upper right menu, then select Exit Anonymous Mode

exit_anonym

Have a question? Ask anything and you'll receive advice from Hubitat staff and active users.

You can even post your question anonymously, by enabling the anonymous mode

1 Like