Fortrezz MIMO2+ Driver

An official driver is now built into Hubitat, so my code is no longer necessary. There is useful discussion about the official driver at the end of the thread though.

2 Likes

The current version of the parent/child in GitHub now creates child drivers for each of the A side and B side. I feel like this is more consistent with how other devices in the ST/Hubitat universe work. The driver works for my purposes as a dual garage door controller.

I'm not currently using any of the input relays, so those have not been thoroughly tested/debugged. I like the idea of running the existing garage push buttons into the inputs and passing those activations on to the garage door, so there may be more development at some point on using the inputs with contact switches. I can't forsee myself using the voltage readings on those, so unless Fortrezz happens to send me a dev unit to test against, I probably won't be able to give that part much attention.

I know there are probably only 2 other people on the forums using this device so far, but I'd be interested in feedback on how the parent and child interactions should work if I do any more development on the drive. For example, I'm not sure if it's necessary to keep the on and on2 buttons in the parent driver, or if the button functionality should only live in the children. Same with voltage, etc. As a garage door controller, there are different needs than others might have though.

I went ahead and installed both of the drivers and the app from Smartthings. I will let you know if I have any issues.

No joy so far, the relays do not seem to be activating.

Sorry for the additional posts, I should've been editing the original.

I'll double check tomorrow that the version in GitHub matches the current version I'm running in my hub. Which app from SmartThings are you using?

And to confirm, pressing the On button on the fortrezz child device doesn't make the light flash on the fortrezz?

I feel like I learned a bit more about drivers last week by porting another device, so I'll try to revisit the fortrezz this week with a fresh set of eyes.

Greetings .. newbie here .. I just purchased an HE and was looking at buying a Fortrezz MIMO2+ as the first step in transitioning my existing wired alarm system .. ie. just connecting it to the NO/NC circuits so that I can be notified when they're tripped. Is this something that you can confirm works with the drivers that you have constructed? .. tks

Just got my mimo2+ and tryed this drive. Hooked up ohm meter. And no go. I do not see a change in meter and the status and events are not changing. I have child devices and power on events voltage and both relays off.. can power on and off and on. And see the new events.

How can I help trouble shoot

I've only really worked with the relay ("output") side of the device. I don't have a use case for the contact/input side, so I haven't tested it more than once or twice. The MIMO can be set to automatically trigger the relays when the contacts are closed, but my understanding is that you then lose most of the z-wave capability of the device (which seems ridiculous to me). If you could set it to trigger the relays and still have full z-wave control, that would be ideal - you could run the manual buttons for a garage door into the input side and manage everything from one device.

Sorry I'm having a little trouble following what you have hooked up and what you're having trouble with. Is the relay side at least working? When you press On or Off in the child device, do the relays/lights fire? I'm less confident about how well the contact side works, but I'm willing to look into it.

When pressing on for contacts the light doesn't change and there is nothing other that the device powering up

Tks for the comments. I don't understand what is involved in creating device driver code .. are you saying that there is nothing in your code that would recognize a simple button press on either of the two inputs? If so, is that something easy for me to add? I naively thought that whoever created the MIMO2+ would also have made the drivers public but maybe that's not how it works

Here is what my event log looks like. The inputs are reporting and power up messages.

But no relay control

The original Fortrezz driver for SmartThings was incomplete - lots of TODO's in comments in the code. I didn't mess much with that part of the driver because I didn't have a need for it, but I did test once and and it seemed to work.

I installed my MIMO in my garage last weekend, so I won't be able to look into it again until this weekend, but I'll see what I can do as soon as I get a chance. I may also try to contact Fortrezz and see if they'll help in any way with getting a unit for testing/development - it already seems to be more popular than I expected.

Just to be sure, have you tried operating the switched from both the parent and child devices? (And did it automatically create two child devices for you?)

I've arranged for a MIMO2+ to be sent to @mike.maxwell with the purpose of a native driver being developed and supported with Hubitat.

1 Like

I think I had to create the child devices. I've used the remove child devices and recreated also. I think I'll try removing completly and adding back into hubitat

OK .. I ordered a MIMO today and should have it by Monday. In the meantime, I'm trying to get up to speed as I have no zWave experience. I presume if I'm adding an HE supported sensor to the hub it's probably fairly straightforward. But in the case of the MIMO, you've put some device code into Github but what's the process for getting that into my HE hub? I've looked in the GetStarted section and don't see anything for implementing non-standard driver drivers. There has to be a tutorial .. can you point me to something? Tks

Sorry .. was looking in the wrong place .. I found a place where it discusses loading custom drivers.

Are these mimo2+ things expensive ?
And being Zwave I wonder if they have a model for Australian freq. ?

In the US, they're about $80-90. The company that makes them seems to be a smaller company, so I'm not sure they make international versions, but it might be worth reaching out to them:

https://www.fortrezz.com/io-modules

Edit: Their documentation says they support 908.4 Mhz for US and 916Mhz for EU. Looks like AUS is 919.8 and 921.4, so probably won't work out of the box.

If Hubitat is going to push a native driver, I probably won't continue to do much more on this port of the driver. I'm happy to assist as much as I can, but tearing down my working installation to troubleshoot something that will be obsolete in a few weeks doesn't make much sense, unfortunately.