First Impressions

The first 250 I believe. Gotta say it was a nice touch, but I wonder how much time it took for everyone to sign all those cards?!?!

5 Likes

I’m sure their hands started hurting. lol

3 Likes

#13 here. One week in and so far so good. Initial setup was painless and had a handful of Cree bulbs, a few Iris Motion sensors, and a half dozen GE/Jasco switches set up in no time at all. Unfortunately, I was only able to tinker for the first two days I had it, but what I paired has been stable.

I started in HA because my wife has limited mobility and I wanted to try to help her with mundane tasks around the house. My job takes me out of town for a month at a time so Hubitat seemed like it had potential for a “set it and forget it” system with minimal cloud dependency. I haven’t heard “Alexa told me ‘SmartThings isn’t responding’”in a week so I’d say it’s doing it’s job.

I can’t wait to get home and play some more with it! BTW, I was really happy to see jdroberts here. He has been quite the inspiration and knowledge base in the year and a half I’ve been at this.

7 Likes

Thanks for the shout. I’m in the forum but don’t have the system yet. We tried with an early version last year, but setup was too complex for my techie aide to manage. I will definitely try it in the future once that process is simplified.

Meanwhile, Bruce and Mike asked me to continue to participate in the forum if there are any device/protocol topics I find interesting. And you know how I like reading Device specs!

(No, seriously–I really enjoy reading device specifications. :sunglasses: I’m always interested in how engineers turn good ideas into practical products at targeted pricepoints. So any excuse to compare two inwall micros to each other is a pleasant diversion in my world.)

13 Likes

@JDRoberts

Your presence on this forum will reap rewards for this platform that can’t possibly be calculated.

I know leadership here already knows who (and what) you are in the greater HA Community, and I know that they have already reached out to you for that very reason.

So, congrats to them, and thanks to you for your willingness to spread the love over here on this new adventure.

9 Likes

So, after just over 1 week of owning a new Hubitat Elevation Hub, I have finally completed my first major migration of devices from ST. Unlike most users, a large number of my devices are actually hard-wired sensors attached to an Arduino.

Back in 2014/2015, my son and I wrote an Arduino Library called ST_Anything for the original ST ThingShield. I have been using a ThingShield to make use of my house’s alarm system prewiring, installed when the house was built, but never used. I simply bought some recessed magnetic reed switches, and a couple of relays, a PIR motion detector, and a DHT22 Temp/Humid sensor and wired everything up to an Arduino UNO + ThingShield. That code has been running fine ever since, and I have had zero reliability issues with the Arduino/ThingShield (as long as my internet was up, and the ST cloud isn’t having a bad day…) Now performance, has been another thing completely…

Today, I converted my Arduino UNO + ThingShield to an Arduino MEGA + W5500 Ethernet Shield. I am using this to monitor and control 2 garage doors, 4 house doors, a PIR motion detector, and a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor. I am using my HubDuino software package on the Hubitat hub, along with ST_Anything running on the Arduino.

I must say, I am extremely happy with how fast the Hubitat hub is at processing changes of state, executing rules, and triggering device updates. I have a Rule Machine rule that monitors all of the doors attached to the garage + the garage motion detector. If any of these go active, I turn on the garage overhead lighting. This used to take about 1.5 to 4 seconds on SmartThings. Now, this happens in less than 1/2 a second.

Great job, Team Hubitat! And thank you for your assistance over the past week!

7 Likes

Curious why you are using the Ethernet shield over the ThingShield? Is performance better? My main house Arduino currently using a ThingShield happens to be in my wiring closet and I can easily hook up to an Ethernet switch, but hoping to avoid purchasing new hardware.

I chose to go with Ethernet as I wanted to actually put my latest code into "production" at home. I had been using some very old code on the UNO/ThingShield for years without touching it. Since adding LAN connectivity to ST_Anything about a year ago, I had not yet actually run any long-term tests with in in my house (lots of hours/days/weeks on the workbench though!) So I decided to take this opportunity to give it a shot.

The ThingShield should still work fine. No reason to change that I know of, except possibly for performance. But, switching to a LAN connected device also creates a dependency on your home network that is not present with the zigbee based ThingShield. So, there are tradeoffs, I guess.

Here is what the new panel looks like:

5 Likes

Anyone is using Hubitat hub as secondary to Smartthings? Will it work?

I wouldn't say "secondary" but more in addition to or primary for some devices. @krlaframboise built a Hubitat app and SmartApp that synchronizes the devices from Hubitat with virtual devices in ST. Many of us are using that so we can have all devices available in the ST mobile app since Hubitat doesn't have a feature rich UI yet.

The Hubitat team is also working on an "official" bi-directional interface that will be released in a future build.

But long winded answer to say yes you can easily co-exist. You will just need to be methodical in how you migrate devices from ST to Hubitat without destroying your mesh. I moved all devices in my downstairs master suite as an example and am slowly moving in.

When you say synchronizes devices. Does it mean that one device can be controlled from both Hubitat and ST both way?
The other question. Will you have Harmony and Ecobee support any time soon?
Thank you!

Kevin's solution creates virtual devices in ST for every device in Hubitat. But every device in ST is NOT created in Hubitat, though that should be possible. Once ST has the virtual devices, updates are sent from Hubitat to ST and ST to Hubitat. So you can control things from ST in Hubitat.

I will leave that to the Hubitat staff to answer that. @bravenel @mike.maxwell @bobbyD should be able to answer.

1 Like

Since Hubitat is mostly local you probably wanna have it as primary.
If Smartthings doesn’t have internet their virtual switches are in the cloud and nothing will work.
If Hubitat doesn’t have internet, local automation still works only smarttings connection will be down.

2 Likes

I’m actually moving all my already local automations from smartthings to Hubitat.
In Smartthings I’m leaving cloud solutions like Cameras, Ecobee, Skybell, Samsung vacuum…
because if the cloud doesn’t have internet anything works anyway.

There is also huge benefits of Hubitat backup
and Smartthings are preparing big switch to Samsung accounts
and that didn’t go well in the last beta, I can handle fix couple of disconnected clouds but over hundred local devices malfunctioning will be difficult to WAF

1 Like

Where can I find the app for this?

1 Like

Links to everything are on the Wiki:

I had the exact same experience.
A reboot and a bit of time to let the subsequent boot complete resolved the issue for me.

Another issue I faced was around Zigbee devices not pairing easily. For this one, I just had to follow the oft mentioned guideline of having the hub to device distance less then ~5 feet, to have the device pair successfully.

Great job Hubitat guys! Impressed with how well the first iteration of your product works :slight_smile:
Would love to contribute and support this platform to grow much more!

P.S: Has anyone exposed the Hub externally (outside the LAN) via port forwarding or from behind a VPN?
Were there any issues faced in the process?

1 Like

Please do not port forward your hub. VPN access is the best way to access it remotely for now.

Thanks for clarifying that :+1:t3:
I too realized the same after discovering that there is no password protection for accessing the Hub built in.

I am.

I joined my shiny new Hubitat to my existing ZWave network and all my devices show in Hubitat.

But it was using a technique not everyone will want to try. I have a large bundle of Hope that the Hubitat Team will include the technique I used in some future release.