First attempt with Node Red - Help with MQTT

Not a problem. Initially I was looking to hardwire like you did when I came across the VMOD. At that point I didn't have a clue what MQTT even was/did. I then had to fathom out how to install the Mosquito broker - first onto a Mac to try it, then a Pi (which I'm also clueless with) and then the MQTT app. Now I'm having to fathom Node Red but amazingly despite switching to the app, all of my virtual devices and amending all of my rules, everything seems to be working great.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. It looks as though it should be possible without a new SD. I've bookmarked the instructions in the link below. I've got the SSD and cable from Pi Hut and will have a bash at it later/tomorrow

@johnwill1 FYI I bought one & even though I am familiar with the dimension panel, this was a learning curve!

I've had 2 anomalies so far where it grabbed 2 new DHCP addresses even though it was 1) assigned a reserved IP address on my network and 2) when it was given a static IP on the config page :thinking:

A bit odd I thought.
I had already updated the firmware to the latest so don't think it will be a FW issue. I'll keep it on test for a bit before I fully decide to migrate to it.

Nice find though :+1:

1 Like

@EVOLVING.HOME Reserved DHCP IP is the way to go with the VMOD. There's a known limitation IIRC where it'll fallback to a previous DHCP address if static is used in certain circumstances.

I'm still adding bits to my Dimension in order to use them with Hubitat through MQTT/Node Red. I added a good old fashioned N.O stair mat last week to fire my landing lights as I go upstairs. One thing to note that I realised after having issues with the stair mat was zone response time. It wasn't going close circuit for long enough to affect a zone status change. By default it's about 1/2 second but you can amend zones individually to use 'Fast' which is 10ms. I've set that 'Fast' where I'm using PIRs as the quicker the zone signals open, the quicker the resulting automations kick off.

The http keypad is handy if you use dashboards - just point a web tile to the VMOD IP and you've got a touchscreen keypad on all of your tablets.

Once I get my C-8 battery backed/UPS sorted, I've got it triggering a virtual switch on power fail that'll shutdown the C-8 after x minutes. I keep having more ideas of how I can use it with Hubitat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.