Firmware Update Issues

After waiting a few days I finally updated to the latest firmware and I'm wishing I hadn't. I backed up and ran the update. It initially took around 25 minutes, sticking at the initialising phase on 15%. When it finally came back online there was a prompt to do a soft reset and restore as soon as possible. I clicked on the soft reset, it said it would go to the restore page after around 2 minutes but again the hub is stuck at initialising 15%. Is ether anything I can do to resolve this? Thanks

go to yourhubip:8081 Go download latest backups (go back a few days). Do another soft reset from the same page and restore from the back up you just saved. This should ensure a clean database (usually when your issue happens it's due to some kind of db corruption).

I'm not sure I understand. As I've updated to the latest firmware, which backup am I restoring? I'm panicking here as if I lose everything, to start again from scratch would take me days. I should have just left it well alone - the message may has well have said "click here to bugger everything up"

Don't PANIC! :slight_smile: go to yourhubip:8081 and there will be several backups from the last 5 or so days. Go back several days just to be safe. Put the file where you can get to it. From the same page do another soft reset. Reapply the database you downloaded. Downloading cleans the database and ensures it's not corrupt. Normally hangs like yours are due to database corruption. The procedure I outlined cleans it up.

1 Like

The other option is to restore the previous firmware, get booted back into the hub, and then do the procedure I outlined above, but then do the upgrade again. That way when the update is running, it won't be fighting with a corrupt database

1 Like

What I mean is - why would I apply a backup from a different firmware version? Surely I need to restore the old firmware version. This happened once before with another version and that time there were many people having the same issue.

the database is the database regardless of the firmware version. Even if the database was made on a different firmware revision

1 Like

My concern is that I was prompted to do the soft reset due to the "xxxx events and growing" or something similar to clear that. Won't I just be restoring that issue? I've downloaded the available backups - these are shown in the screen shot:

Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 19.18.01

The bottom three are the backup I took prior to the firmware update, the backup I took before the soft reset and I'm not sure about the one marked "shutdown"

Which one should I be using from the below?

No... Database cleanup (what happens when you download that) will prevent it from happening again..

restore from the one you downloaded. As the one on your pc won't be corrupt

Sorry that still isn't clear. You said to download several and I did - so which of those that I downloaded should I be restoring? They are the same size when downloaded as they are showing in the last screenshot.

Edit - I've plumped for the last FULL one, as the latest was only a few hundred bytes

Pick 7/16/2021 to download then restore (remember to restore from the pc not from the hubitat itself) Sorrry I was being a bit dense :slight_smile:

Too late - I'd already picked a newer one. It's starting up now....

Hope it wasnt the one that was 272 bytes

So it's up and running again now. The database is 3.2MB which is twice the size of what it was when running the previous version. Should that be of concern?

I'm not sure the absolute size is an issue - but if it starts to grow geometrically and spontaneously that can be an indication of corruption. You may not see that in the backup size as much as you'll see it with something like Hub Info... the database is pretty dynamic and from what I've observed the size of the backup is significantly smaller than the size of the running database, I assume due to the cleanup process that prompted the actions you just took.

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 2.52.25 PM

2 Likes

There's over a 1000 lines of new code So new structure could be contributing. If there is an issue it will be pruned in the middle of the night.

1 Like

A soft reset does get rid of (reset) the hub. However, it does not remove the stored radio (AKA device) information from the hub. But you do have to run a restore to bring the database back so it knows what device is what, and restore the rules, dashboards, and so on.

It is a very safe procedure provided you have a backup, which the update procedure always prompts you to do. If you did not save this, there is a backup (there should be at least a couple) in the diagnostic menu at 192.xxx.x.xxx:8081 like rlithgow1 indicated above.

I just ran into all this log cancer and soft rest as well but at least my restore went smoothly. All seem to start after my upgrade.