Feeling pretty fancy

It's pretty ugly right now but it works!

Using a Zen16 and spare remote from each daily driver I have automated starting (and locking) of vehicles!

Next step is to clean up the wiring and sort out a mounting of some sort. I also have played around with the idea of powering the Zen16 with a multi output power supply and using stepped down output from the supply to replace the batteries in the remotes.

I think I may get another Zen16 and expand the functionality of my wife's Edge.

Currently it is using two of the relays because it requires lock press then double press start. There is also a power lift gate function which would be great to have also.

The Jeep just requires three presses of the lock button.

I already have switches (with 1 second auto off) linked to Alexa to kick off the respective rules.

Rules also run 15 minutes before normal leave for work time. With conditionals for outside temperature and if our "sleep in" feature is active which disables auto morning routines (normally for weekend sadly :joy:).

This has me super fired up to get cracking on my Fibaro Smart Implant in our hot tub next!

4 Likes

Great project!

These things are super handy. I always keep a spare on hand "just in case." I think my preference is for the ZEN17, though. Even though it only has 2 relays it's nice that they can be configured independently from the switch inputs.

2 Likes

I'm gonna assume you don't have the cars in a garage :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, we do not.

1 Like

I've actually known a couple of people personnally who have autostarted their cars in a closed garage :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You'd want to automate your garage door, or at least a window, in that setup I would think...

4 Likes

This would be a case where the house really is the smart one. :rofl:

8 Likes

I dunno, when it comes to something like that I'd just assume not even attempt it in the house... The thought of a failure and not realizing it is too terrifying

7 Likes

A smart CO detector or other gas sensor in the garage might be a good idea... maybe even in general.

3 Likes

That likely won't work. Just a couple starts of the engine, and the sensor gets so contaminated that the device quits working. I have tried this a couple times over the years, and it always ends in failure.

It sounds good on paper though...

5 Likes

Ah bummer - it was a thought. This article seems to think it's doable for a regular detector though.

Wow, now this is a cool idea! I do the remote start dance quite a lot and this could certainly help.

2 Likes

It’s a task that’s never safe to automate, IMO too. Good points brought up re: why already.

3 Likes

I would rather keep my car fob in a tin box to keep the thieves from scanning for it

yeah although they cant hack while it's just sitting there not being used right? Also they would have to intercept exactly at the point of activation.. and be fairly close initially.

But well done @markbellkosel84 ... for doing something that is useful to you, and probably doesn't suffer the issues we are all speculating about.... :slight_smile:

1 Like

My car searches for my fob and if its in range the doors and start button become active weather I press the button on the fob or not, them scanners amplify the cars search signal and the fob will respond unless its in my tin box

1 Like

I'm about to attempt something sort of in reverse. I'm going to use the homelink transmitter in my car with a garage door receiver and an Econlink zwave contact sensor to activate my alarm as I leave the house. It will be manual but convenient. I am not allowed to use presence-based automation. I realized the zen17 would make a great alternative to the Ecolink but I only need one contact (now).

I'm planning only on activating the alarm (and locking doors, etc), not deactivating it. That may come later.

2 Likes

Nice!

When you say not allowed. Do you mean your alarm won't integrate like that?

SPAF (spouse/partner acceptance factor) restriction on "tracking apps." My alarm is fully integrated with HE.

1 Like