Winter Car Starter

Has anyone developed a car starter automation.
Something like trigger, if it is below 32 degrees, and during a certain time, defrost it, and start the car. Just throwing the question out.

Is it legal to start a car without a driver in charge of it? Who would be sued if it decided to take itself for a run?

Post from the other day:

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
In Canada at least, most new cars have automatic starters, so driver is not present. In stead of using remote to start, was just wondering if someone had figured it out, if certain conditions are present.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response, so it is feasible, great news.

Yes, but usually for automatic transmission only. Most newer cars have it built in. There are auto starts for manual transmissions but safety features of having both the e-brake engaged and the stick in neutral must be done in order for it to activate. Auto starts have been around for decades.

It's decades since we last owned a car, I'm completely out of the loop.

1 Like

ICE car?

Ahh... Yeah here in the US that's not usually a thing. (Though like you're example, there are some that ban it not for idling but because of theft). Now looking it up there are a lot of states with anti-idling laws. I've never heard of it being enforced.

I should have started off, that I run 2 electric vehicles, and have since 2017. My 2022 will be electric as well. Thank you all for your comments. If someone can delete this post, it would be appreciated, as there is no positive feedback that I can use. Thank you