Feature request - Groups/Zones for contact sensors

I was taking some time to create some dashboards for use to check status. I use contact sensors on my windows and there are two per window because I have the swing out kind. It would be nice to group them together to show one status instead of two per window. That way I don't have to Take the time to create a bunch of virtual contact sensors that do the same with rules. Just a thought. I don't see any other easy way to do this. If I'm wrong, please let me know. I love the easy fixes.

There is Motion Zones, so why not have the option to use contact sensors with this app?

Feature enhancement request?

1 Like

It sounds like you are after a "Contact Zone Controller".
Very similar to the in built "Zone Motion Controller".

It wouldn't surprise me if somebody on here has already done it but I must admit nothing springs to mind.

Tagging @bptworld and @Cobra in case they already have something similar.

2 Likes

So basically if all in the group are closed, it’s closed, and if one or more are open, it’s open?

2 Likes

Cobra just opened his site with his code back up there. If you're looking for a Dashboard solution, his Super Tile app may be what you want. BPTWorld's Tile Master app can also do something similar. Either can show multiple devices on one tile via a custom attribute. That might not be exactly what you want here; if you want only one "summary" attribute, I'm not sure if Cobra's Average All app can do that (haven't checked it out since the "old days"), but it might. A custom app or a rule certainly could manipulate one virtual/"summary" device, too (and then you could use that on a Dashboard).

1 Like

Yes

Theres a driver on Cobra apps called status switch.
You could use that as the virtual switch, and a corresponding rule to turn the switch on/off?

You have options to set the "Status" of the switch. I'm using this on my Dash to show me if any devices are on in a room. It works really well.

Then just use the Status Switch on your dash, two contacts = one Attribute :wink:

3 Likes

Theres also this option in Contact Us :wink:

If no one has an app like this I could probably put something together today or tomorrow. Should be pretty straight forward.

Did Cobra's app meet your needs or do you still want this? Going to begin working on it now.

my apologies, I got called away and haven't revisited it yet. Can you forgive me?

I wont be able to revisit until this evening.

No can do, I'm bored now, I'll just build it and even if you don't need it someone else might find it useful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awh .. SNAP... king for day for sure! thanks!

1 Like

How many potential zones do you have? I would think that a virtual devices per zone would be all that’s needed. Don’t get me wrong, love the effort to make it simple with apps, but I’m puzzled by how people feel they need a sensor on every single one. Especially when they live in “safe” areas.

Not a criticism at all by the way. Just really curious. :grinning:

I have 4 windows in my living room. and one window in each room thereafter. 3 beds, office, kitchen/dining. So basically two per room. So pertaining to dashboards (which is why I wanted something and something that could warn me if there was an event a window is open) That's 14 contact sensors I'd have to manage and be able to find. So I thought having something to combine them would be easy. I love the zone motion and thought it woud be neat for contact sensors too. also 6 exterior doors with 4 of them being to the garage. I don't need ot know exaclty which is open, just which room. It's easy enough to notice a door or window open.

1 Like

So in my case, (and maybe April was thinking of this situation too) I want to my bathroom vanity light to turn on when the medicine cabinet is open. The cabinet has 3 doors, and would take 3 contact sensors. It would be much easier to aggregate these sensors to act as one, just like Motion Zone app does.

I could also see using this just like a Motion Zone Trigger Zone function like in the case of my bi-fold closet doors where I have two sensors and I want the light to turn on when both are open, not just one.

2 Likes

Ok, threw together a pretty quick parent/child app to do this, you can grab it at GitHub - dcmeglio/hubitat-contactgroups

5 Likes

Great! I can't go there now, but I will this evening. Some never fail to amaze me around here. Can you write me an app to let out my dogs while blending an iced mocha all from the convenience of my computer. and then delivery would put it over the top. Just sayin'
:kiss: :rofl:

1 Like

Haha. Sorry, can't help you there! We all have our skills, I've seen those amazing wooden flags you guys make that I'll likely end up buying one day... that's something I could never create myself!

1 Like

We have 6 on the workbench right now. And they're not all spoken for. thank you for noticing. We enjoy the hobbies we take on. Including home automation. My husband calls them "sparkplugs".