Fast motion sensor with Lutron switch

I am trying to find a fast response motion sensor that will turn on a Lutron switch? Looking for something with a 1-2 minute shutoff.

I looked at the Fibaro but it has a 2s delay that cant be overwritten. I dont have a Hubitat system yet (I have ST v2) but if there is a sensor that works better with the Hub, I will buy the Hub.

This is for a pantry light.

Any recommendations?

I'm using the Philips Hue indoor motion sensor and it's almost instant with Lutron switches. The Outdoor version is the same.

I am using a few types of sensor, but the Smart Things Zigbee ones are very fast. I hear that Aeontec will be producing them soon.

I recently purchased some Sonoff Zigbee motion sensors and they also seem quite responsive.

2 Likes

All the zigbee motion sensors I have are quick. As are the Dome and Fibaro z-wave+ ones that I have.

What are you referring to? I have the Fibaro sensors linked to below and see no such delay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KOGDETI/

@waynew
I dont have a Philips Hue light, unfortunately. It's a regular pantry light.

@Sebastien, this guy?

2 Likes

Just to clarify. Hubitat permits the use of ANY paired sensor as a trigger for automations that use ANY paired device.

So it doesn't have to be Hue to Hue. It could be Hue to anything, or anything to anything.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s the one.

Can you describe what you want to happen? Sometimes there are approaches that you may not be aware of, and that my simplify things... :grin:

(Ex.: Light turns on when someone walks in and turns off 2 minutes after they left - motion stopped.)

If you read those some of the reviews posted, there are a couple that mention the 2s delay. Also, there is a 5m minimum shutoff time which is a little high for a pantry.

Great question @Sebastien! I am trying to automate a pantry light. When the door opens I need a very responsive light (<1s) and a short shutoff time, turn off after 1 minute of no motion.

I don't see either of those.

Have you considered a door sensor that turns on the light when opened and turns it off when closed? (Or is the door typically closed after someone enters it...?)

I have a cold room and that is what I have had setup for a while. It worked great!
I recently added a motion sensor that detects if someone is in the room so we could close the door, but it is one that takes a while to detect no-motion (like you describe) so the light does stay on longer...

1 Like

@Sebastien, I did but the door is usually not closed all the way. I figured the best way to do this is a motion sensor.

1 Like

@amrogers3

Here's some actual data using a Fibaro FGMS-001 with the built-in hubitat driver.

Fibaro

The sensor reads active the instant I flashed my hand over it. And went inactive approximately 46 seconds later.

So I have no idea where you arrived at the notion that it took 2 seconds to become active and 5 minutes to become inactive, but that isn't the case for the z-wave+ version.

1 Like

You said Lutron light right. Philips Hue motion sensor will work with Lutron light using Hubitat. I use this combination in my bathroom.

The Lutron Caséta motion sensor is expensive, but very fast and very sensitive. Only turns on Lutron Caséta devices.

2 Likes

I think the only drawback to this is the 5m minimum for shutoff.

AFAIK, that’s not accurate. The minimum timeout is 1 minute, not 5.

No, that's correct. For the Caséta Occupancy Sensor, it's 5, 15 or 30. But to me this isn't a big deal. I guess if I was going to use this in some places that would be too long, but most of my lights that I have set to turn on with motion are set to turn off in 4 minutes, so for me 1 minute more is nothing. Depends on your use case I suppose.

Spot on, I just checked the online manual and read that. You can do a 1m adjustment.

Question, what is the real-world battery life on this compared to the Fibaro?

Anyone know the pros/cons of these 3 devices?

1. Fibaro Motion Sensor Z-Wave Plus
  2. Caséta Occupancy Sensor (fast but battery life?)
  3. Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector - PIRZWAVE2.5-ECO (read this was fast response also)

Just trying to find the best solution to automate a pantry light.

1 Like