Fast motion sensor with Lutron switch

Good to know. I have the Occupancy version and 5 minutes is the minimum for that one. Real life battery would be impossible to know at this stage. It's too new and since they claim 10 years, there's no way you'd get less than the year it's been out. This is a Lutron product. They don't make junk.

1 Like

The cons of the Caseta is that the motion isn't exposed to Hubitat. So it only works within the Lutron Caseta environment.

The Fibaro is quick and also provides lux and temperature readings to Hubitat, which I don't believe the Ecolink does.

OTOH, perhaps because it only does motion, the Ecolink supposedly has a longer battery life. The Fibaro battery lasts about 12-15 months.

Ain't that the truth. Here is the manual for the one minute setting.
https://www.casetawireless.com/Documents/041734.pdf

3 Likes

Ah crap! I totally missed that in my review. I'll have to correct that.

@amrogers3

I've timed motion lighting under Hubitat (all my switches are Caseta), and the motion sensors have been Dome, Xiaomi, Fibaro, and Iris V3.

It takes about 150-250 msec for the time from motion detected to the switch turning on.

That's pretty quick.

While the most convenient/fastest choice would be Caseta to Caseta, the other options are still really quick, and come with the advantage that they can be incorporated in other Hubitat automations.

3 Likes

I've found the Aeotec Multisensor 6 (a Z-Wave motion sensor) to have a significant lag for detecting motion (up to 2-3 seconds on both HE and ST). The most reliable ones (and fast responding) have to be the 4th generation ST Motion Sensors (now Aeotec SmartThings Motion Sensors) as you can see below, they trigger 'inactive' motion in less than a minute:

1 Like

It can be set to 1 minute cycle. It does take a bit getting used to compared to ones that cycle in 15 or 20 seconds. When used with a RA2 system, they can be used with any device. This is my primary indoors motion sensor.

1 Like

I opted for KISS, Lutron non-smart motion switches for my pantry and master bedroom closet. Pantry is set for off in 1 minute and closet for 5 minutes auto off. Never fails, stays on as long as motion is present. No rules, no mesh. https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Maestro-Required-Single-Pole-MS-OPS2-WH/dp/B005WM3ALC

2 Likes

I have essentially this setup in my main entrance closet. Works great. It is the only non-Smart switch in my house...

1 Like

I use a contact sensor for cabinet doors. You can stand in front of an open cabinet half the night and not worry about motion going inactive.

2 Likes

Quite? Or as good?

The SmartThing ones are by far the best. I would recommend them before the Sonoff. However, if you are not able to find them, the Sonoff do work.

2 Likes