Fan/Light Switch ideas

I need a fan/light switch for a ceiling fan/light controlled by a single switch and a single load wire. At the moment I use Hue bulbs and a Lutron Aurora for the light, but the fan has to be controlled by the pull chain. The Inovelli Fan/Light switch is exactly what I need (I have one installed in another location already and it is great) but it seems unlikely that will ever come back in stock. I have not been able to find any similar products that don't require a separate load wire for the fan and light. Any ideas?

@kyroha There is this one.

But kyroha only has one wire to the fan. This won't work as they desire with separate fan and light control.

1 Like

Chances are your ceiling light/fan has separate load wires and they are just connected together to the single line wire at the fan. An easy fix is to hire an electrician to pull another wire from the switch box to the fan.

Only easy if they have conduit which depending on the age of the home may be very unlikely. If its a romex run it would likely involve cutting holes in the walls to get the wires through. Unless it is an upper floor with an attic, then a good electrician could pull from the box into the attic without cutting any holes.

1 Like

If you have a neutral wire in the junction box at the fan, you may be able to throw this relay in. You'll have a single line in and run one load to the fan motor and one wire to the light. This wouldn't give you control over the fan speed but you could at least get on/off.

Only other option I can think of is one of the controller that comes with a remote. No HE integration, but negates having to use the chain.

1 Like

Zooz makes a dual relay for about half that price, the Zen52 is about $28.

There are some fairly inxpensive Zigbee modules too, but I am not sure if there are combined dimmer and switch versions, or if you would have to use two separate modules to get both.

2 Likes

Yeah....the Zen52 is probably a better option. I didn't know Zooz had released their own. Most of the ones I've looked at in the past weren't rated for a fan motor (induction) load.

1 Like

Added bonus - the Zooz page for the Zen52 no longer indicates that it is in Beta, so the kinks appear to have been worked out!

2 Likes

I'll find out in a few days...:grin:

Does the fan have an RF remote? If so, a BOND bridge should work.

2 Likes

Just to update...have had the zen52 installed for about a week now and it works perfectly. No fan speed control, but I can at least control on/off for the fan and light separately which is all I was looking for.

2 Likes