Fan Switch

I currently have a remote control for my fan. I have the main power switch and then a regular remote control. I want to move that to ZWave. What type of system would I need? I tried to put a regular zwave switch to turn it on and off and use the remote, but when I did that, I smoked it and had to shut it off immediately and go back to the regular switch. Any suggestions?

Is the fan an AC or DC motor?

1 Like

Another user reported success with the Zooz ZEN51/52, he used the ZEN52 to control both the fan and light on/off separately but if you just need one control the ZEN51 would work. Fan/Light Switch ideas

If you want to be able to keep your existing remote module but basically add a kill switch to cut the power to the whole system, the ZEN51 might do the trick.

You could also go for a ZEN30, which can do a light with dimmer for one load, and then a relay on the second load. I currently have two of those one with a ceiling fan and one with a bath fan. This only works if you have a separate hot line for the light and fan you want to control. Would not work if lights and fan are both connected to the remote box.

1 Like

I am sorry this is a ceiling fan

My comment above applies to ceiling fans.

I use a Zooz Zen30 for my ceiling fan control. The dimmer portion is wired for the light, and the relay contact is wired for the fan.

With the fan on, I adjust the ceiling fan speed (with the pull chain) for where I want it, and the relay contact simply turns it on and off.

With the light on, I set the light to max (with the pull chain) and use the dimmer to set the brightness.

All of my ceiling fans have a 3 wire bundle running to them...one for the fan, one for the light, and one for a common neutral.

1 Like

If you want to be able to control from a wall switch another option might be to use a BOND bridge. You can then replace your wall switch with a ZEN34, or similar type controller. It's not Z-wave but you can control everything though HE and it's local.

As does mine. Ceiling fans, nowadays, can have an AC motor, or a DC motor, and that will determine what your possible solutions are. So we'd need to know that first.

Second, we need to know if you have a single light switch that just turns the fan and light on/off, or, do you have one switch for the fan function and a separate switch for the light.