Factory Reset C-5 on Firmware 2.3.8.118 (Diagnostic Tool stuck on version 1.0.92)

Hello all,

I have a C-5 that I want to give to a friend to get him started with home automation so I figure I should factory reset it. The problem I'm having is that the Diagnostic Tool does not have the "Advanced..." button which is how I understand I can factory reset the device per https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/user-interface/advanced-features/soft-reset#what-about-a-full-reset.

The C-5 Platform Version is hub-2.3.8.118. The Diagnostic Tool Version is 1.0.92. I have repeatedly attempted to "Download Latest Version" within the Habitat Diagnostic Tool interface that I am accessing via port 8081 on the IP address of the C-5 but either the C-5 does not apply the update correctly or it is not finding a newer Diagnostic Tool to install.

The screen that comes up while the C-5 is downloading the update and then applying it ultimately states "You will be automatically redirected to your Hubitat Elevation." after the update seems to be applied. However, I am never automatically redirected anywhere.

I remain able to access the Habitat Diagnostic Tool via port 8081 and it shows the same old tool version of 1.0.92. I have tried rebooting the hub after the new diagnostic tool has been downloaded and applied but I still show the old tool version of 1.0.92 and I continue to be unable to access "Advanced...".

Because I cannot access Advanced options I cannot perform any of the resets suggested in the Full Reset Alternatives at https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/user-interface/advanced-features/soft-reset#full-reset-alternatives.

I have also performed a "Soft Reset" without restoring a backup though I don't believe this is sufficient based on the information provided at the links above.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point or what I might need to do to prepare this C-5 for someone else to use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

See this post for how to force a diagnostic tool update.

Factory reset has nothing to do with diagnostic tool update. Have patience, it sometimes takes a VERY long time for update to arrive.

The above is what you want, but addressing this point:

This refers to the regular hub platform software, not the Diagnostic Tool itself. It should update on its own within a couple days of upgrading your hub firmware; otherwise, the above is how you can make the update happen sooner yourself.

This is also documented here:

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you for that clarification! I've never understood what that "Download Latest Version" button was referring to. I've always found it unnecessarily vague so in my current predicament I took a chance and was hoping it would fix the problem.

Thanks for the link to the documentation of the diagnostic tool. I could definitely benefit from a better understand its functionality.

1 Like