Everything Xbee

I've just unplugged the xbee for now. The unfortunate part is in the process of all of this somewhere around half of my zigbee devices stopped working.

So now I'm going around the house re-pairing them all... Annoying, but oh well. May be a while before I mess with the xbee again.

to reset the Xbee3 in XCTU select default at the top of the screen and "yes" after it rewrites power cycle the Xbee3.
Then start again maybe even try changing the NI to a different name you have not used before.

Yeah, I factory reset all of the Xbee.

And I was wrong... In the process of adding the Xbee yesterday, it killed all of my zigbee devices. I had to repair every single one of them - which in my house only consists of door locks, moisture sensors, and 4 Ikea outlets - so not too bad.

Weird. Not sure how adding any # of Xbee - even with duplicate NI - could destroy the network like that.

To be fair, I'm not sure I actually had to re-pair all of them... For instance on my Ikea outlets I just had to remove them from the wall outlet and plug back in, and they immediately started working. It is almost like the zigbee part was 'locked up'.

My samsung water sensors, though, pulling the battery and putting back in wasn't enough. Those I had to repair.

Just got home from work

to answer this question 00+SH+SL = your 64-bit MAC address (zigbee id)

You can tell if it is still connected as a ghost to the hub if you try scanning with the Xbee connected to the computer and then running XCTU scanning prior to trying to pair it again.
If it still connectes to your hub in the scan or finds other devices it has not been reset.

After removing the Xbee3 from the Hub and reprogramming it.
try and reboot the Hub and then fresh pair again.

When you say "try scanning" what exactly do you mean? Want to make sure I'm not missing a feature/step, as I'm new to the Xbee.

In any case, I was able to remove the 'ghost' devices from HE and re-add the Xbee. Everything seems to be working fine now. (knock on wood)

So maybe most/all of my issues WAS trying to add 2x Xbee with the same NI... That is the only thing I can think of that I did differently Wednesday vs today.

When they were not showing up in Hubitat and would not join. They were likely still connected as a ghost device.
but if you connected the Xbee3 to the computer and ran XTCU. In the top right corner select "switch to network working mode" and then slect "scan".
As a ghost device you would see a bunch of devices connected.
If it was not connected to any network only the Xbee3 itself would appear.

Glad you got it going.
Once setup correctly they are pretty solid.
I recently moved 2 Xbee3 routers and 2 Xbee3 end devices from my C-3 hub to a new networked C-5 hub to run in a multi hub setup with no issues.

Hey guys this all new to me, and working with software setting is not my strongest point.

I purchased the XB3-24Z8ST, XBEE THT GROVE DEV BOARD, and a 2.4Ghz antennas from Mouser Electronics.

I followed all the steps listed by NoWon on how to set the Xbee software up, but I keep getting the same error on Hubitat log page. I have reran the steps over 3 times but keep getting the same error.

(Most recent Log)

Before I started, I downloaded and installed these links:
XTCU software
Xbee3 router settings
60 second reporting
Xbee3 DH

Then proceeded with the setup....

Before I removed the Xbee from Hubitat, I was able to get a Network Scan.....

I'm not sure what else to do right now... Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Did you do these from the Hubitat device page and see if that cleared your errors?

If the settings screen shot is from after you joined I see that the "OP" operating pan id is still 0 so it is not joined.
if it is prior to join the Hub then it is correct.

1 Like

@NoWon

I remove the Xbee from Hubitat after I posted my question.

After reading your suggestions, I added back the Xbee and did the following (*)steps twice in a row, just to make sure everything took.

(*)

• Change the DH type to XBee Presence
  • select save device
  • select configure
  • select save preferences

__

At first I did get the error back, but only two times. So far after 1 hour, I have not gotten the error to show back up again. :partying_face:

So it looks to be working fine right now, Thanks for the help.

Also, here is what the XCTU is showing, hope everything looks to be set right.

Thanks again for your help!

--

Also, a few questions about using the my Xbee device in my Hubitat system.

My main purpose was to see what Zigbee devices are having issues in my network.
I understand you can use the Xbee (or multiples) as Zigbee repeaters in Hubitat.
But does the Xbee always need to be connected to a PC (USB com port) to work as a repeater. Or is it only required to be connect to a PC in order to use the XCTU software.
Can it be connected to a 5v USB power supply as a stand alone unit?

Any insight on the best way to deploy Xbee units in my system would be very grateful.

Thanks again!

1 Like

the Xbee3 only needs to be connected to the computer to be used with XCTU sw.
Yes they work fine as a router or end device when powered remotely by 5v USB power supply.

glad you got it working.

1 Like

"Thanks"!

Did you purchase the Xbee case or print it yourself? I need one.

Someone posted a link to it on Thingiverse site, and I've been modding it to work for me because of the antenna I'm using on Tinkercad site. Still playing playing around with, still a work in progress.

1 Like

When using two of the Xbee units, would be a good setup to have one next to hub (about 3 to 5 ft away) and 2nd Xbee unit midway between the hub and the last Zigbee device in the network?

The reason I ask is, our HE hub in located in the back of the house on the main floor (* blue prints), Bed rooms are on the 2nd floor, and we have a half finished basement. So choices for placement for the HE hub was limited to ethernet connection.

Here is a blue print of our main floor, the circle with the red X is where our hub is locate.

(Older pic showing our ST hub, is now where our HE hud is setting.)

Depending on your mesh and any interference, as well as how far away your farthest device is.
The second Xbee3 pro router would ideally be placed farthest away from the first Xbee3 router.
The Xbee3 pro have a very stronger radio and thus a farther range than most devices (ok all devices that I have found).
They will connect together to extend your range.
example I have one router at my computer and the other out in my attached garage with antenna on the roof.

1 Like

I keep seeing people saying that, but the spec sheet doesn't support that statement. On the non-Pro it is just +8 dBm on the transmit side. That is basically the same as most other mains powered zigbee devices. The Xbee Pro is a different matter entirely, though, at +19 dBm on the transmit side.

As a comparison the Ikea Outlets are +14 dBm...

Not disparaging the Xbee, I'm just not sure the data supports the "super radio" statements people make.

Now, if we are talking antenna receive sensitivity, it may be a different discussion - depending on whether you are using the PCB or external antenna.

True
I am only ever referencing my Xbee3 pro versions. Which are the ones I recommend.
I have never owned the non pro versions.
But I should have made it clearer. I have editted my post for clarification.
thanks

2 Likes

Maybe it also depends on the antenna you connect to it? I will say I couldn’t keep a contact sensor paired to my hub located in my mailbox even with an Iris outlet in the front window. After Xbee plus a high gain router antenna I have had zero issues. Xbee is in my “wiring closet” under stairs in front of house. So a little further than window zigbee outlet as example.

The antenna definitely makes a difference on receive sensitivity... But that has little to do with the radio (although, yes, some radios are more sensitive than others), which was my point.

So maybe it's just semantics. But I don't think people that buy the xbee non-pro with PCB antenna, for instance, should expect substantially better results than any other repeater.

2 Likes