Errors in Rule 2.5

I am seeing the same error Error: For input string: "activator" whenever I attempt to open existing "rule-2.5" rules I have running on my C-7 hub. The same rules still open fine on my C-4 hub. Both are running the latest platform version 2.3.1.133, but this was also happening on one version back (2.3.1.129) as well.

Need more information, including a screenshot of the log entry, and a screenshot of the rule in question.

Here is a screenshot from the logs on the C-7 where I am seeing the issue on more than one rule where they are inaccessible:

This is a screenshot of the accessible rule from the C-4 hub:

What is app 169? If you click on the red error in the logs, what app opens?

It just bounces me into another logs instance:

Then go to this url:

your-hub-ip/installedapp/configure/169/mainPage

What app does that open?

Every 2.5 Rule has the same error:

These rules are all trying to activate a Scene, right?

Open the Scenes that the rules are trying to activate, and hit Done. After that, open Groups and Scenes (the parent) and hit Done. I think that will clear this up.

Try this for one of them first, to see if it works.

Actually they aren't related to any scenes. Some are very simple on/off for switches, etc...

The error line is from activating a Scene, and "activator" has to do with Scenes. So if these rules have nothing to do with Scenes, I don't know what's causing this. Post the App Status page (gear icon) of one of them.

You may have db corruption going on.

Let me know if you need any additional info. See attached.

OK, try this: Roll back to a previous hub version at :8081. Then update again (download update). See if that clears it up.

Still no dice. Rolled back to 2.3.0.124 and then updated again to 2.3.1.134
I'm not in a pinch at the moment so please don't burn your weekend on this...ok?
But...it would be nice to get the 2.5-Rules back at some point soon.
Thanks for taking the time so far!

I don't have a clue of what's wrong. It makes no sense for the app to throw an error about activating a Scene. No changes have been made to Rule 2.5 in a very long time.

Is there any sneaky way to export the individual rule code and jam it into the newer rule machine? I could hand-pick 2.5 rules and migrate them over to the 5.1 machine.

No, there isn't.

Do you have Scenes? If so, please open each one and hit Done, and then open Groups and Scenes and hit Done. That should fix this.

I'll give that a try in the morning. I'm away from the computer for the night. Thanks Again...Will let you know how all goes.

If that doesn't work, the next build will have an easier way to do that. We figured out what is happening with you: there is a corrupted list of Scenes due to a prior bug. Rule-2.5 is choking on that even though your rules don't use Scenes. So the immediate goal, and fix, is to clean up that system based list of Scenes. The steps above should do it, or with the next release it can be done by simply opening Groups and Scenes and hitting Done.

6 Likes