Error using the Device Firmware Updater in 2.2.4 with Inovelli LZW36 Firmware v1.36 (Beta)

I just tried to use the device firmware updater in the new 2.2.4 to update the firmware of one of my Inovelli LZW36 + Light - Red Series to Firmware v1.36 (Beta). I uploaded the firmware, once it was transferred to the switch, I get the following error:
### Firmware Update Status

Device Firmware Updater: ERROR: The transferred image does not match the Firmware Target

The last few log entries:
dev:1352020-11-16 17:21:13.287 debugGB Inovelli Fan + Light LZW36: MeterReport(meterType: 1, precision: 1, scale: 2, size: 4, meterValue: [], rateType: 1, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [])

[dev:135](http://192.168.1.105/logs#dev135)2020-11-16 17:21:12.709 [debug](http://192.168.1.105/device/edit/135)GB Inovelli Fan + Light LZW36: MeterReport(meterType: 1, precision: 3, scale: 0, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 1, 185], rateType: 1, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0])

[dev:135](http://192.168.1.105/logs#dev135)2020-11-16 17:21:12.171 [debug](http://192.168.1.105/device/edit/135)GB Inovelli Fan + Light LZW36 Unhandled Event: FirmwareUpdateMdStatusReport(status:4)

[dev:135](http://192.168.1.105/logs#dev135)2020-11-16 17:21:08.539 [debug](http://192.168.1.105/device/edit/135)GB Inovelli Fan + Light LZW36 Unhandled Event: FirmwareUpdateMdGet(numberOfReports:1, reportNumber:7448)

I tried this a few times, and even re-downloaded the firmware and re-uploaded it to the hub. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

That error is from the device.. And it states that the firmware file transferred does not match the device. Either this is the wrong firmware file or the wrong firmware target was selected.

The file was downloaded from the Inovelli site I linked above, and I re-downloaded it on a different computer to make sure that it wasn't a corrupt download. There was only one selection in the drop down for target.

Edit, it does not work with either of my switches. Same thing, I double checked that I was using the correct firmware file, and there was only one possible selection for target.

Not that it necessarily matters but what driver are you using for the LZW36? I am using the Inovelli drivers (not the built-in ones).

The reason I asked is that I upgraded mine with that same version earlier this evening, without problems (also going from version 1.34 to 1.36).

Also... just for the sake of checking... my firmware file shows as 186.179 KB in the Firmware File Manager (just in case there is a difference there).

1 Like

I am using the Inovelli drivers. My firmware file is also showing 186.179 KB, so that looks good. I rebooted my hub, and I am giving it another shot with the built-in drivers, just to see.

Edit: no luck, still getting the same error.

2 Likes

Well... thanks for trying. :slight_smile:

Bryan will look into it and give some more ideas I bet, he is pretty darn dedicated. You already tried rebooting... Have you done a Z-Wave repair since the Hubitat upgrade? Just to make sure the routing is as clear as possible?

I hadn't, but these two are the closest devices to the hub and showed up as routing directly to it. I was able to update them both with no issues using a Z-Wave stick as a secondary controller with the PC Controller software. Uploading the firmware was much faster that way too. I am not sure why the device firmware updater wasn't working.

I appreciate all the help.

I am also having an issue updating a LZW36. I'm using Device Firmware Updater on 2.2.4 with a C-7. I successfully upload the file and get the following error when I attempt the update.

Logs show this, but I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Any ideas?

Could you tell me if that device is included with security?

There are different default sizes based on if it is included with security or not. But if the device has a max fragment size lower than the default it is supposed to obey.

Currently it's connect S0 (no security?). I struggled trying to get it to connect with L2. Is that required for firmware updates? Should I exclude it and try to re-connect it to the hub with security?

S0 is included with security.. But old chatty security.. I would try to avoid S0 if possible.. S2 is much more efficient if you want security, or no security is obviously the most efficient.

2 Likes

So I excluded and re-included the switch and removed all the security. The firmware successfully updated. Thank you!

Fix for this is coming in the next hotfix

3 Likes

I'm experiencing the exact same error message that gnufsh describes. I'm attempting to update an LZW36 with firmware version 1.31 currently installed and paired with S2. The firmware file is 186,179 bytes, as reported by others. My hub is Rev C-7 with HE Version 2.2.4.145 installed.

@bcopeland, will the fix coming in the next hotfix correct the issue as described by OP or by BravaCentauri83? Thanks!

Yes.. The fix has been submitted.. I would have thought the hotfix would have been out already... I’ll check with the other devs, been wrapped up in debugging and hadn’t noticed.

I've just installed 2.2.4.147 and attempted the firmware update again and received a different error. The process took over 30 minutes between clicking start and receiving the error message. Is there any information I can provide that would help troubleshoot this further?

partial Device Data:

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 131
  • deviceId: 1
  • deviceType: 14
  • manufacturer: 798

Again, my original error was: Device Firmware Updater: ERROR: The transferred image does not match the Firmware Target

Last night I attempted this update on another LZW36 device that is paired without security - it worked great.

I am having the same error while trying several times today to get the firmware updates from 1.31 to 1.36. Just as danforce posted his partial device data, mine matches what he has. My hub is on version 2.2.4.158. Rebooted the hub and same result.

Have you joined the LZW36 with all the security check boxes unchecked?

And did you download the firmware from here?

Try downloading it again. I downloaded it once and even though it was labeled 1.36, what I got was 1.31. I downloaded a second time and it was correct.

I have two LZW36 Light/Fan controllers and the HE Updater worked just fine to update them.

Yes, same firmware you linked, but I downloaded again and tried.

I thought this method of updating the firmware was supposed to work with the security enabled? I likely left it on whatever the defaults were and so I think I have the security enabled. If it's not going to work, I guess I will leave on 1.31 when/if I have to update the firmware. I prefer not to have to set things back up if I have to remove it and re-add it w/o the security.

So if it won't work with the security enabled, I'll leave it where it is until I have to remove it and re-add it.