Energy monitors - what are my options?

What driver do you use with your SmartThings plug?

I just checked and its the generic Zigbee outlet. The scary part is that when I went in to check now, it's showing no power readings. But my automations were working. I'll see tonight if they are still running

Thats why I asked. I am using that driver and have never had power readings on the device page. I assumed the plug was not offering them

Even though not showing under the device info, it is still being recorded (see pic). It used to show under devices but must have changed during an update.
My power rules still work so it is definitely reading it.

Mine are showing power

[/quote]

Ah yes! Hmm the device info page should update, maybe I should report it as a bug.

What are clamp meters?

I wish upon a star
that we could create
a master device table/database of these kind of findings (that go beyond opinion)
could readily be discovered before one mindlessly jumps on a flash sale
upon seeing a brand that one thinks they remember being talked well of.

There are so many rabbit holes, we ought to make it easier to avoid going down them.

One single post like this could be hidden in a hundred but make ALL the difference to a purchase.

I've said it before, it would be great to have an HE Community Rating for devices, 1-5 in a handful of key categories.

EDIT: OK make that a few posts hidden in a hundred could make all the difference.

3 Likes

Hi @lcw731

I believe he's referring to current clamps (clamp goes around the wire to pick up current via its magnetic field). In this space I think most people combine a clamp with Shelly EM's.

I personally am using a device called "Sense" which picks up current the same way. But that device does not play with Hubitat, so I've gone down the HomeAssistant rabbit hole. It's a deep hole indeed!

1 Like

For what its worth, I bought an Iotawatt and its been absolutely awesome. Im very happy with it and gives so much more than any smart meter Ive seen. A bit pricey perhaps but good value for what you get I think.

Also got a great Hubitat integration by ogiewon

2 Likes

Just spotted this thread again - if you're in the UK with a smart meter, you may be able to make use of Hildebrand Glow. Replaces your normal in-home display with theirs, pairs directly to the smart meter and provides local (and/or web) MQTT.

Don't think there's a more direct or accurate method out there. :+1: