Energy monitors - what are my options?

Ideally both, some of the kit is things like TV's etc, others are microwave ovens, dish-washers etc.

I'd not thought about the issues of loading a plug like this though, that does make sense...!

The Bosch one boasts that it can handle large appliances, but it does require its own hub. Well, it says it does. Dunno if there is a way around that.

Have you looked at TP-Link's Kasa plugs?
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/hs110/

There is a community based driver for them and I use the maker api and an Influxdb integration to send my readings out to Grafana.

I had these and they all went in the bin - kept overheating and one got so bad it even damaged the wall outlet. Also one time one switched itself on for apparently no reason and had an expensive heater running in a room we rarely use for probably more than a day. Also their metering was up the creek, one of the plugs kept telling me it was running at 3kw several hours a day even when nothing was plugged in! Besides, aren't they cloud-dependent for almost everything but preset-schedule?

Wow, I can't say I've had any problems like that, the most I've had is they don't get back on the network that well when I restart the router. I don't run too much off them to be fair, the most intensive ones are probably the dishwasher and washing machine, but still haven't had any issues like you described.

I've had one of the TP-Link plugs start smoking and I unplugged it before it caught fire but it was close to ignition temp when I grabbed it. The plastic was squishy when I grabbed it. There was some scorch marks on the receptacle also. It's worth mentioning that I had a UPS that had a 85" QLED TV, Playstation, BluRay, and an AP plugged into it. That's why I prefer the clamp meters now. I do have the zooz power strip and it seems to be doing fine but I don't have much load on it. It's mostly just my network equipment.

If you don’t overload them, the smartThings sockets measure power and work well

Andy

1 Like

I replaced the Kasa ones with SmartThings and have had no overheating problems at all - with the same appliances plugged in!

Thanks all, food for thought.

I'm trying to avoid any of the home automation power management devices (sockets, switches, smart plugs etc) being on the WiFi if I can, I'll check out the Smarthings plugs.

1 Like

Bit late, but I can recommend the Salus SP600. You need to use the community driver for power reporting at the moment, but it's officially supported and the reporting should be fixed. I'm writing my own driver for it as well, just for the heck of it (and for presence detection).

They crop up on eBay occasionally for reasonable prices. Got one for Β£15 and one for Β£10 recently, but they're always there for normal sale at Β£25-30 if you're in a rush.

Oh! You could also use the AlertMe SPG100 smart plugs if you can find them. The driver I did can read the usage in Wh as well as the current power in watts, they'll do the accrual and can be reset to zero without having to pair again (just hold the button on the top until they reboot). They're battery-backed repeaters too, though you'll likely need to change the rechargeables.

1 Like

With this on my mind, the AlertMe Smart Plug driver (development version for the moment) supports the EnergyMeter capability properly now and reports usage in kWh.

1 Like

Sorry, an old thread I know, but just thought I'd contribute as I always battle to find the best options around this and having a post with them all would be helpful.
The Samsung smartthings plug can also monitor power. I have one monitoring power from my pc. Unsure on any further integration though

What driver do you use with your SmartThings plug?

I just checked and its the generic Zigbee outlet. The scary part is that when I went in to check now, it's showing no power readings. But my automations were working. I'll see tonight if they are still running

Thats why I asked. I am using that driver and have never had power readings on the device page. I assumed the plug was not offering them

Even though not showing under the device info, it is still being recorded (see pic). It used to show under devices but must have changed during an update.
My power rules still work so it is definitely reading it.

Mine are showing power

[/quote]

Ah yes! Hmm the device info page should update, maybe I should report it as a bug.

What are clamp meters?

I wish upon a star
that we could create
a master device table/database of these kind of findings (that go beyond opinion)
could readily be discovered before one mindlessly jumps on a flash sale
upon seeing a brand that one thinks they remember being talked well of.

There are so many rabbit holes, we ought to make it easier to avoid going down them.

One single post like this could be hidden in a hundred but make ALL the difference to a purchase.

I've said it before, it would be great to have an HE Community Rating for devices, 1-5 in a handful of key categories.

EDIT: OK make that a few posts hidden in a hundred could make all the difference.

3 Likes