Energy Monitoring with Third Reality Outlet

Both of my Third Reality (model: 3RSP02028BZ) outlets report energy usage that is about 3.6 times the correct value even though the voltage and current readings they report are correct. The energy calculation, however, seems to be voodoo math. Is this calculation done by the driver or the outlet itself? I should mention that the loads are resistive, (incadescent lights)

I'm using a different driver on each outlet and both yield the same, incorrect values. One driver is the "Tuya Zigbee Metering Plug", the other "Third Reality Power Meter Plug."

Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Hallo,

I do not own these outlets but I know there is version 1 and 2; only version 2 reports energy natively. Check what the driver is intended for initially.
I guess if you can see some strange math, then it is in the driver -> driver does the calcs. This means with a version 1, without built in energy reading it would be possible to get energy data.
Math would be a little bit like this;
dt in seconds
Energy(dt) = (tension(t) + tension(t+dt))/2 * (current(t) * czrrent(t + dt))/2) *dt
So adding up the energy fragments would lead to the total actual energy. As energy usually is given in kWh there needs to be some conversion:
Conversion: to get the k = divide by 1'000, to get the h = divide by 3'600 ... and here I would say is the error, means somebody has not done the conversion right. So, if you see a consistant error of factor 3.6 just divide by 3.6. Maybe, to not change some driver code, use a local or hub variable.
dt is the meassuring interval. To get accurate values, or not to miss an short "on" or "off" period, dt should be very small. BUT this then would put a lot of load to the hub.
This means only use energy meters that do the calcs internally.
I have some Aeotec nano switches and some Qubino 3phase meters that work very well and accurate, doing all the data internally and just sending "the values" to the hub.

Thanks for the reply. This device (or its driver) reports energy values that are way too high. It reports a kWH of usage for what is actually only 277 wH. Right now I'm using Hubitat to scale the value to the correct number.
Which Aeotec are you using for energy monitoring and does it have the capability to set the on/off state after a power failure?

You might want to try this driver which was made for this device:

I tried the Third Reality Power Meter Plug driver and it does report correct energy values. However, in my application I need more precision. Any chance of a future driver reporting with at least X.xx kWH precision? Also, I need a command that resets the energy value to zero.

Thanks.