Ecowitt GW1100b keeps dropping offline

I didn't know that.

I keep forgetting that. I don't know why they don't just redirect ecowitt.com to that page. But also, I see they have it broken out as Weather station kit, hadn't noticed that before.

Well, I replaced the adapter block last night. Hopefully that will take care of it. If it still keeps acting up, I think I will likely get a GW2000 and just connect it to my POE switch.

1 Like

You know, on the WS69 vs Wittboy thing, aside from having to keep the Wittboy warm in the winter for wind measurement, I like the fact I can look up and see the thing working. The little cups spinning around and the arrow pointing into the wind. But that's just me.

I'll have to check and see I did have a weird Wi-Fi issue the other day where everything was showing offline, even though stuff was still clearly functioning like it was connected. I ended up going in and shutting everything, router, model, hubs down and rebooting it. First time I've had to do that in several years.

I live in Texas; we only get this "winter" you speak of every 10 years or so... But seriously, we don't typically get all that cold, typically n the upper 30's to mid 40's. However, I think I could buy that extension cable and just keep a set of batteries in it during the winter months. I probably need to dig into that a bit more. As for seeing it work, I can appreciate that, but where have it mounted. It's not all that visible. I have debated moving it to the roof, though I suspect my solar panels could skew it. I rely more on the console for that. I also have a soil temp sensor, rain gauge (so that would actually be duplicative) and a lightning sensor all on the same mast. I'll admit I need to find a better way to mount that rain sensor. I threw together a arm with PVC but it looks kind of trashy. the main mast is a piece of 3/8 inch conduit. I probably need to find a way to fashion an arm out of that and attach it. or just move it closer to the house and attach it to an eve or piece of trim.

Finding best location is hard-best to have separate sensors instead of an array, I guess, since one location not best for all. Plus, you have to think about maintainability.

1 Like

I see now WS90 heater is a plugin type. Humm I may need to rethink this, as there is no power out there.

When I get home Ill post a picture of the general (current) system (a mix of Ecowitt and Accurite). It is mostly attached to the back fence away from the house and most trees (though there is one tree that has grown substantially since it was put up, hence why I'm considering moving it in the first place. But overall, I think it is still the best spot for it. The rain gauge would be duplicative, but I don't know how much I trust that haptic rain sensor.

My array is under some trees.
My latest purchase, which I haven't installed, was a Tropo rain gauge.
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Which actual weather station did you actually end up going with again?

EDIT:

So far seems to be staying connected this morning.
Here is what i have so far

HP2561, with a couple of WN1980 consoles.

A little update. changing the adapter block did help for a bit, but I have started having issues with the GW1100 dropping offline again. I went ahead and ordered the GW2000. I should be receiving it tomorrow. Does any one know how to switch my devices from the GW1100 to the GW2000? I am kind of inclined to believe I just activate it and the devices with begin to populate it. Does that sound about right? The follow up question (this is probably for @sburke781, but anyone who knows can answer) How do I switch the gateways in habitat (I'm using @sburke781 drivers) . Thanks!

I'm not familiar with this one myself, but I would suspect people like @kahn-hubitat or @aaiyar may have done this before...? If not hopefully others around here can help, otherwise I / we can try and figure it out with you.

I suspect you should be able to follow some of the steps I took down for people transitioning onto the version of the drivers I released when I took over. Obviously some of the steps relating to removing and re-installing the drivers via HPM can be ignored. I would suggest following the suggestion of noting down existing rules and other dependencies on the existing devices. I am expecting you will be able to:

• Turn off the existing data feed
  • Leave the HE devices in place at this stage
  • Setup the new Gateway, i.e. in the WS View App
  • Setup the data feed for HE in WS View App
  • Setup the new HE gateway device and let it create devices as it does
  • Swap devices in HE apps / rules
  • Remove your old HE devices
2 Likes

Yes. The devices transmit, and any gateway within range receives their signals.

3 Likes

@sburke781: Not familiar with your driver, but would he really need to remove the existing devices? Once the new gateway has recognized the sensors in the app, he could probably just change the DNI of the device on the Hubitat to match the MAC of the new gateway. That way it would just start accepting the data into the existing setup, right?

2 Likes

Of course, that should work, or at least worth trying first. Thanks for pointing that out. @lcw731 , try stopping the data feed on your existing gateway, setting up your new gateway in WS View, then setup the data feed and importantly just change the Mac address on the gateway device in HE.

Thanks for spotting this @snell .

2 Likes

No problem. I did not know if there was an app that auto-handled the devices or some other method (like child names based on parent DNI) that would make it a dumb idea to begin with.

@lcw731: Hope the switch over goes smoothly.

2 Likes

All Done. OVERALL, it went pretty smoothly. For those that may be in a similar position in the future here is what I did:

1. Unplugged the GW1100B (it had been offline for a few days anyway), and removed it
    in WSView.
  2. Plugged in and connected the GW2000 (I used the ethernet connection rather than
    the Wi-Fi so I didn't have that issue again).
  3. Configured the gateway at the IP address (never saw those direction before, I may
    look and see if the other devices have something similar).
  4. Set up the gateway in WS View (this is the step I missed the first time through, had to come back and reread this thread and the initial instructions to realize i missed it).
  5. Changed the MAC Address in Hubitat then click resync.

Everything switched over from one gateway to the other seamlessly. Everything in Hubitat finally synced up correctly once I it up correctly in WSview (note to future users, both for initial set up a new device, or swapping out gateways, etc. the WS View is a critical (but easy) step.

I didn't change the DNI, just the MAC address. Everything resynced within a few minutes once I did the and configure the server in WSView.

Now to move on the final big piece of this system and replacing the old worn out Accurite with a WS90 (Wittboy), also realized I need to add in a couple more temp/humidity sensors. Tell ya what, ecowitt really is a deep rabbit hole to fall into.

One side, odd note. When everything switched over there is one odd temperature Sensor on Channel 1 that I can't figure out what it is or where. Is there and easy way to figure that out? My gut is telling me it might be the gateway itself. But giving me a channel number for it is throwing me off.

3 Likes

I didn't bother to stop the feed on my GW1000. I just plugged in the new GW2000b. As soon as it showed up in WS View, I set up the data feed and changed the MAC address in HE. Everything was seamless.

RE: the temp sensor on Channel 1, I don't think that would be the internal sensor. What kind of temps is it showing? That might help to narrow it down. I have one in my freezer in the garage. It shows temps in the -5°F to 5°F range. It's never that cold in my house, or outside for that matter.

1 Like

Well, the other option is a soil temp sensor. It’s reading 85 right now, I sorta thought it would be higher if it was soil as it in the low 110’s for over a week now. I guess I could just pull the battery on it and watch to see if it doesn’t update.

3 Likes