Ecobee Integration

You don't authorize from there. You can remove HE from being authorized, but authorization and re-authorization is done from the HE app.

Here is the doc that explains how

It seems that at this moment, the Ecobee cloud is having issues. I don't have the integration installed on my hub, and when I tried to add it just now, Ecobee login api responds "We're sorry but we were unable to complete your request. Please try again."

It all worked before. You'll have to wait for Ecobee to resolve their cloud issue before you can connect. My authorization for Hubitat is showing up on their site, but it will not connect. So I probably need to refresh the session. But I cannot to their API to do that, but since I could before and others still have a connection, it must be a cloud issue.

I just recently replaced my old Honeywell z-wave thermostat with an EcoBee.
I wanted to get away from the Honeywell because it would occasionally lose zwave connection to my SmartThings Hub.
I don't care (now) that it's a local company, it's down more than it's up!
I really can't believe how many issues I've had with it....

Well, since you're new to Ecobee, I'll offer advise. Let it do what it's designed to do.
You most certainly can have the Ecobee integration attached to Hubitat. Will is stay connected? That's up to Ecobee. It just seems to disconnect all the time via their API channel. Doesn't matter who's hub it's attached to. Echo is about the only thing that doesn't disconnect, and their own app. Maybe Amazon made a deal and has a special connection or priority.

It's nice to have their remote monitoring for rooms in your home and you can use that in Hubitat, but if it's unreliable, there are other temp/humidity monitors you can use with HE and not break the bank. The Ecobee is very good at what it was designed to do, and it did pay for itself in 2 years. Not much more I expected. I'm satisfied with it.

1 Like

It just came back up. Again...

1 Like

There ya go. Cloud. The reason I no longer run all my device solely on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice here. I reauthenticated and its working in hubitat again for now. Based on others experiences it sounds like I may need to do this periodically and should not rely on having its sensors consistently connected. I also had a problem where the ecobee wouldn't properly convert to DST. Placed a service ticket with them and they fixed it.

Personally, my experience has been as @SmartHomePrimer suggested; Let the Ecobee do it's thing on it's own. I have schedules setup in the Ecobee for morning, afternoon, evening, night and away mode. While I do have it hooked up to my HE, HE does nothing to control the Ecobee and I don't use it's sensors for anything beyond humidity/temperature reference points. If I need to adjust the temperature, I either use the app, the physical unit itself (blech!) or Alexa/Google Home.

In this configuration, it's been flawless.

1 Like

I found that my Ecobee stopped working with HE when I updated past HE version 2.04. I could not get it to work no matter what I did so I reverted back to version 2.04 and reauthorized it and it has been working since. Now saying this, I could still work with it in ST. I continued to work in the ST app (which I find to be a more usable app then what HE displays for ecobee).

1 Like

Well then, maybe that’s something that Ecobee changed on them between 2.0.4 and now.

Something to look at

Ok, I have/had the same question a lot of folks have had. Is there a way to set the Ecobee "Comfort Setting" aka Home, Away, Sleep and it appears the answer is no. Well, we can "away" and "resume" but not set a specific setting.

In my case, I have 4 "modes", Home, Away, Sleep, and Guests. Guests is used for Sleep mode when we have guests we use additional temp sensor in our guest bedroom (which we otherwise ignore).

I found it interesting, the Alexa Ecobee Plus "skill" does have the abliity to change the mode to Sleep (where everyone says can only be done by the schedule). If this is true, it should be possible to set any mode we want, right? See: What Alexa voice commands can I use with my ecobee devices? – ecobee Support

Ecobee is cloud based anyway unless you're controlling it with HomeKit. Why not just trigger a virtual switch in HE, set that virtual switch in IFTTT as your trigger and set the comfort profile on the Ecobee IFTTT service.

1 Like

Sounds perfect - can you piece it together for me? I'm not currently using any IFTTT (though I do have an account and it IS linked with Ecobee and HE).

I found the Set thrermostat... you show there, but is that a "works with button controller"? I'm trying to figure out how to set the trigger and not sure.

Have you created any virtual switches on HE?

1. Add Device Virtual Device
  2. Give it an ID (anything you want, but might want to keep it in order). I use 001A, 001B, etc.
  3. Give it a Device name. Everybody does this different for organization. I use Hubitat Virtual Switch for the device name and then call it what I'm using for in the device label field.
  4. Set the device type to Virtual Switch
  5. Click Save Device
  6. Set enable Auto Off to 1 second
  7. Click Save Preferences

Now add the IFTTT Integration app

Add your virtual switch to the HE IFTTT integration app and you should be able to follow the doc example for the rest.

2 Likes

You can set Ecobee Home, Away, Sleep, etc. by using the Ecobee Suite Manager and setting up Custom Commands in RM. I have it setup like this currently. Setup a custom command using SetThermostatProgram.

1 Like

Just in case it's useful to others. I could not reauthenticate even after I removed the App from Ecobee site. Then I removed ecobee cookies from my browser and that fixed it.

2 Likes

I am running the Ecobee integration with a few remote sensors. Prior to installing the Ecobee, I used some motion/temp sensors and passed the settings through to virtual thermostats. Can I also pass the remote sensors into hubitat so that they can be used to trigger my virtual thermostats?

On another note, I am interested in hubitat knowing my local weather and settings both the ecobee and virtual thermostats to cool or heat based on the outside temperature. I use the virtual thermostats to control my smart vents.

Did you ever get a chance to look into this? I have an Ecobee 4, which does detect motion. Ecobee seems to do a pretty good job of recognizing whether a room is occupied or not, better than I have achieved so far with standalone zigbee motion sensors anyway. I would love to be able to use the thermostat's motion sensor to trigger things, and even to include it in a motion zone so for just that little edge detecting occupancy.

@storageanarchy's Ecobee Suite exposes the ecobee sensors as individual devices to Hubitat whose states include temperature and motion.

Would be nice for the native app to do this too.

+1
I would also like to see the Hubitat version also include the motion and temperature from the main thermostat. I would think the vast majority of user have the version with motion verses the other way around.

I used the Ecobee Suite for a little while as well but I dont care for all the extra pieces you have to install just to use it.