Echo Speaks thru HubConnect - I can't find artist/album info

I have Echo Speaks installed on my ST hub and then use HubConnect with HE Virtual Devices as Hubconnect Speaker devices. When doing that, i get the song information in the trackDescription Attribute but not Artist or Album information as an option. I see that info in the Echo device on ST but it's not getting passed to the HE device. Is there something I am missing with Echo Speaks or in the Hubconnect Speaker device? Should I be using a different driver?

I wasn't sure if this should be in the Echo Speaks or HubConnect thread so I made a new one. Thank you.
@tonesto7 @srwhite

If you are using EventSocket as the transport mechanism, then all the Attributes of all devices are injected into EventStream and thus are available on the receiving hub. HubConnect filters based on the Selectors to the devices and their defined attributes to inject those events into it's hub.

Custom Drivers are used to 'extend' beyond the standard attribute set. In other words, 'capability x' has a specific set of attributes. A device may have multiple capabilities defined and thus multiple Attributes. When a HubConnect driver is built, it only has the existing devices to sample for Attributes/Capabilities. When a standard HubConnect driver isn't participating in an Attribute your device uses, a Custom Driver is there to fill the gap.

1 Like

I am using HubConnect 2.0 without the NodeJS so does that mean it's using EventSocket? I looked at Echo Speaks Device code and it's got a huge list of Attributes incl currentAlbum. If am understanding correctly, since the HubConnect Speaker driver doesn't incl. that attribute, only attribute "version", "string" , it won't pull it thru HubConnect. So then would I have to create an entirely new driver to replace the HubConnect one if I wanted Album title?

I have never written driver or app code in Groovy so I am trying to understand.

Also, in comparing the 2 drivers, the Echo Speaks DTH for ST has a capability "MusicPlayer" but in the HubConnect driver it's "Music Player" with a space. Does that matter?

HubConnect v2 has a Driver Builder in Custom Drivers... List the Attributes and click. :smiley:

'capability' is case and space tolerant.

1 Like

Thank you. I trudged thru it and got the attributes I want. Once i added "Music Player" as a capability, it was perfect. Thanks for your guidance.

3 Likes