Echo Speaks Local Network Logon/Cookie Authorization Server to replace Heroku

I have to run out for a bit, but later I will try actually logging in and switching my ES on my hub over to this instance to see if I can get it to work. Or let us know if you get it figured out.

Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it. I actually have to get going as well, but I'll try again tonight or tomorrow if I possible. Happy Thanksgiving!

Just wanted to say thanks!
Didn't know you could run Linux on a windows 10 pro 64 bit machine. Learn something new everyday.
Been running fine for about a week in Windows 10 with a minimized cmd window.
Haven't tested the batch file I made and put in the windows startup folder yet. Been many years since I made a batch file.
Initially I tried using virtual box and had it running but could not connect. But then I learned I didn't need it.
It was pretty easy to setup just using this thread.
thanks again.

@NoWon did you use Docker on Windows or just straight up through NodeJS installed on windows directly? Or some other method? I may add instructions for doing it on NodeJS in windows as well, IMO it is less complicated than docker and less overhead as well since this app does not NEED linux to run.

Had time for a quick reboot to see if maybe something was cached, and it worked perfectly after the reboot, so I think I'm good to go! Thanks again for all the help!

1 Like

I believe this only works with Windows 10 pro:

I installed Debian from the youtube video @ralph.vasquez posted Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂 - #82 by ralph.vasquez
The video installs Ubuntu but I installed Debian.

Then I install Echo Speaks as per @vmsman instructions Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂 - #58 by vmsman

I also had to use @Scottdogster tip Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂 - #61 by Scottdogster

Then finished off setting up through the Hubitat Echo Speaks app

Just realized I should have posted that thanks on the other thread :face_with_peeking_eye:

Do you know of any guides/instructions - I plan on setting up a DS220+ and would love to get the cookie auth local.

DS220+??? max of 6GB of memory....sadly under-powered with no disk lists for $315. Gee for $263 right now you can get a Minisforum UM350 with 16GB of memory and a 500GB NVMe. The processor is a Ryzen 5 3550H and it can run 20 LXD containers with nested docker without skipping a beat. https://www.amazon.com/UM250-Windows-Computer-Output-Graphics/dp/B08QZC6H8Q. So the intent is wipe the disk clean and install Ubuntu Server with LXD. Cheap Self Hosting Server - YouTube

1 Like

The UM 350 (and family) is awesome. Right now I use an old HP laptop with 12gb ram, 500gb disk. Slow cpu though.

Doing this from memory, but should be close

On your DSM220+:
Go to Control Panel | Terminal & SNMP and Enable SSH Services
Install Node.js, Git Server and Docker from the Package Center

Use PUTTY or or favorite SSH utility to SSH into your DSM220+

cd /volume2/docker (or where ever you store your docker containers)
git clone https://github.com/tonesto7/echo-speaks-server
cd echo-speaks-server/docker
vi env.echo-speaks-server.dist (change IP-ADDRESS-TO-CHANGE to the DSM220+ IP)
cp env.echo-speaks-server.dist env.echo-speaks-server
sudo docker-compose up -d

Server should be running at this time
http://DSM220-IP:8091 should bring up the Echo Speaks Server Login Page (follow the Echo Speaks instructions for configuring a local server from this point).

@gikjll Tim, I have one UM350 that I put 2 sticks of 32GB in for 64GB of memory. I also changed out the 500GB NVMe for a 2TB. I have Ubuntu 22.04 server running on it and LXD. I have 19 LXD containers running and one Windows 11 LXD VM that I gave 8GB of memory. I have about 45% of total memory on the UM350 in use and the overall CPU load is 20%.

So, UM350 on sale $269, 2TB NVMe $179 and 64GB of DDR4 laptop memory for it $209. Total price $657 for a server that fits in the palm of my hand and can probably handle twice what I have on it. Right now the Raspberry Pi 4, 8GB, just the board is $220 with no case, no power adapter, and no storage and can never be upgraded. The pi has 4 cores with a base clock of 1.5Ghz. The Ryzen 5 3550H in the UM350 has a base clock of 2.1Ghz and has four cores, but eight threads. Also, the UM350 cited above comes with 16GB of memory and a 500GB NVMe. So, twice the memory and a free 500GB NVMe (how I see it) for $46 more than the Pi4, 8GB model. Wow, just plain wowl

1 Like

vi is a Linux editor. At this point you’ll be better off pulling down the new Docker container that @tonesto7 just published to the Docker Hub. Should be able to get to it from the Docker app on your Synology.

1 Like

I really can't believe I got this working on my Synology Nas with your newest instructions. Lot of trial and error, but all is good!
Thanks

2 Likes

@NoWon great to hear!

I have 2 different Amazon logins, one for my wife's 2 devices (which is working perfectly), and another for my 2 devices. Had 2 instances of heroku server running, no problem. I cannot figure out how I can change the HTTP: access between echo-speaks server1 and server2. Both are on 8091, and it states with option 1 of 2 says address can be different run them both, some type of bridge. Been trying to figure out the last 3 hrs. Thanks

If you're using the v.2.8.0 version I believe you'll want to edit the Dockerfile for the second instance and change the EXPOSE 8091 to another port and then make sure that is reflected in your ES app instance.

1 Like

@wagnerm1 Exactly as @thebearmay says. You would also have another Echo Speaks app instance on the HE to support the other Login/Cookie local server.

Will try. Thanks

Vi is possibly the most user hostile text editor of all time! Nano is a much better text editor.

1 Like

It's a UNIX editor. Linux just borrowed it.

I've been using it almost 40 years. Same with my wife. Our kids all learned it when they were under 10...

2 Likes