Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. šŸ™‚

i did this in an lxd container on container station on my qnap nas. i get to the last part to pull up the ip and nothing happens.

i saw in another thread to do ip a and i get this
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
27: eth0@if28: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:16:3e:8e:69:82 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff link-netnsid 0
inet 10.0.7.5/24 metric 100 brd 10.0.7.255 scope global dynamic eth0
valid_lft 42060sec preferred_lft 42060sec
inet6 fe80::216:3eff:fe8e:6982/64 scope link

how do i get the container to be set to my ip of my name which is 192.x

@tomm1313 Check out my guide to create a LXD bridge. I use this on QNAP with no issues. LXD Containers Bridged to the MAIN LAN & Connected via Macvlan - ScottiByte's Discussion Forum. If you still need help, private message me and we can tag up online.

Watch this video in particular. Network Bridge vs Macvlan on LXD - YouTube

Ralph. Using WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) won't work in this case because your WSL will be running in a NAT and won't be reachable inbound easily from your HE Echo Speaks app. If you want to do this on Windows, install an Ubuntu server as a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V and you will be okay. WSL is a great ad-hoc utility to have in any event.

2 Likes

after reading/watching i still was not 100% sure what i was doing. I switched the container from NAT to Bridged and then did IP A and was able to see that it was given an IP address. so i used that IP and it all worked.

thanks!

OK, thanks. I'll have to look into that. Will Virtualbox work also?

Sure, virtualbox is fine. Hyper-V on Windows is a better performer than VirtualBox, but if you are running Windows Home than Hyper-V is not an option. Just install Ubuntu 22.04 server with the ssh server only. You don't need the full up desktop overhead. Personally, I install these type apps in a LXD container, but that requires having a Linux server. Honestly, I believe that the more home automation that you do, the more instances of locally served applications you will have to stay out of the cloud.

Here's a taste of what one of my little servers is running. Every one of these apps is a LXD container which is like a super lean VM running on a $270 Ryzen 5 small form factor system with 32GB of RAM and a 500GB NVMe.

3 Likes

hello everyone, even in Italy we are anxious about Heroku and echo speaks! I was thinking of buying a raspberry pi, is an old version enough or should I necessarily buy the newer one? for example, is a PI model 3 b sufficient?

Iā€™m using a RPi 3b and it works great. Another nice advantage is that I set the RPi up to use WiFi only so I can put it anywhere in my house without having to plug it into an ethernet port.

2 Likes

All working on my Pi cheers
One thing less to worry about

2 Likes

@vmsman Maybe you should copy this to a new topic so it is easier for others to find - something like "Easy Echo Speaks server on a Raspberry Pi - Goodbye Heroku!" Something like that.

I will let you do that if you think it is a good idea.

Thanks again!

Yes.

What is going on with the price of Raspberry Pi??

Chip/supply chain shortage/issues. They've been overpriced and basically unavailable since the start of the COVID pandemic.

Thanks for the reply. Wow.
Major fundamental issues on a planetary scale.
:slightly_frowning_face:

It's a well-described phenomenon with respect to RPi's, unfortunately. You'll probably notice that Amazon listing, even if shipped by Amazon, is sold by a marketplace seller.

1 Like

Good point. Do I trust this seller?

1 Like

Most of the time you'll likely get what's being advertised. If you're willing to pay the outrageous markup.

Although perhaps not this time...

1 Like

I used to get a Raspberry Pi Zero for 99 cents every time I went to MicroCenter. I have a box of them somewhere. Maybe I can sell them and retire! Wait .... I'm already retired.

1 Like

Thanks. I did create a main topic for it. It is not limited to a Raspberry Pi. My instance was created on a LXD container.

2 Likes